IGNORED

BBS Users?

Opry99er

How many of us are regulars on the BBS scene? Heatwave (dial up or Telnet) or The Hidden Reef? I asked this on the list, but the only responders are Atariage guys, so I thought I'd post it here. :) Thanks to Greg and Chris for responding on the list.

=) The reason I'm asking is that I've written a new door game for TI-99 S&T BBS software... I'm just gauging the number of people in the community here who will be able to play it.... Those who visit Heatwave and the Hidden Reef will be the only ones able to play the BBS version...

Of course, anyone who is a regular BBS user SHOULD sign in to Heatwave... =) It's telnet OR dialup. =)

What are you waiting for, slinkeey?

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to the dual RS232 version of the S&T software that will allow for telnet and dialup operation. One reason I keep the Hidden Reef as dialup is that I never know when someone from Australia, the UK or some other country will log into the Hidden Reef via some BBS number list they run across in some old TI publication. It's not often that it happens but when it does it's a source of great enjoyment for that new user. As we TI/Geneve wing nuts keep moving forward we need to be careful about burning 300 baud bridges behind us. LOL

• Like 1

My old BBS lives on in my Amiga's WinUAE disk image. Hehe... Farpoint Station BBS - 1995-1998, RIP.

I used to be on Fidonet "back in the day", I used to hang out on the "TI-ECHO". Anyway, I ran a Point System on my PC to pick up and toss my mail, the name of my system was.... "Far POINT Station!"

L L & P

Edited by Kevan

Not exactly a BBS ... but I'm (slowly) working on a web browser, using a serial port connection to a Lantronix UDS-10. There's no hope of displaying a 'modern' web page so I'm looking at a very simple HTML tag subset (including links between pages), with pages written specifically for the TI. Possibly with some extensions so simple graphics can be included by embedding character definitions. Currently at the point where I can connected to a web server and download (but not yet render) a page - with a few hiccups to sort out.

Stuart.

• Like 2

Woah! Sounds great! :thumbsup: I was thinking about doing something very similar for the TI but never got around to it. I was even thinking about adding new HTML type markup specifically for the TI to interpret, so that sprites could be displayed and moved, tunes/sound lists played, and speech emitted via the speech synth. Tags for defining characters would be quite easy to implement:

<UDG CHR=42 DEF="C12E3F7E4B29AB">

Etc.

Though, if not too careful, you end up with reams of code for parsing tags. Forth can be very useful for that ;-)

• Like 1

Now you have my interest! You could make specialized web applications to get the TI out there in the modern world. Forms could even be a possibility, I would guess.

You can have a webserver even use web services to go out to other servers and fetch enriched content to render for the TI. Yes a BBS could do this too. I just think this would open up some interesting possiblities.

How many of us are regulars on the BBS scene? Heatwave (dial up or Telnet) or The Hidden Reef? I asked this on the list, but the only responders are Atariage guys, so I thought I'd post it here. :) Thanks to Greg and Chris for responding on the list.

For those interested, the numbers for the boards mentioned by Opry99er are:

Hidden Reef (TI-99/4A) 718-448-9402

Heatwave (Geneve) 602-955-4491 or telnet to Heatwavebbs.com

It's sort of on topic, but.. back in the day I used to spend a lot of time on the Texaments BBS. Does anyone know what happened to them? Did they ever make their file archives public or did they just vanish into the night?

I uploaded a few things there I'd love to see again (or at least I think I uploaded them there...). ;)

• 5 months later...

Not exactly a BBS ... but I'm (slowly) working on a web browser, using a serial port connection to a Lantronix UDS-10. There's no hope of displaying a 'modern' web page so I'm looking at a very simple HTML tag subset (including links between pages), with pages written specifically for the TI. Possibly with some extensions so simple graphics can be included by embedding character definitions. Currently at the point where I can connected to a web server and download (but not yet render) a page - with a few hiccups to sort out.

Stuart.

How's it coming along?

Well, last night was fun. The first time I got on a BBS in over 20 years! It brought back lots of memories. Granted I was only using Putty, but it requires no changes to Windoze. Of course when I get the TI online it'll be two colors only... unless someone writes a term program for the F18A, and I doubt that it'll ever happen.

H ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒▒ ▒

E ▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒

A ▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒

T ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒

W ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒ ▒ Upload Areas

A ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒ Download Areas

V ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒ Message Areas

E ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒ R Game Doorway

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Status Updates

B ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۰ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Edit User Stats

B ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Last Few Callers

S ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒۲▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Article/ANSi Gallery

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒۰▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۲▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۲▒▒ Bulletins

M ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۲▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Welcome Screen

A ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒ Info about Heatwave BBS

I ▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒۰▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Vintage Computer BBS List

N ▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒۰▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۰▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ Feedback to Sys0p

۲▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۰▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۲▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒۰ Chat with Sys0p

M ▒▒▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۲▒▒ Other Boards

E ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒߲▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ް▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۰ Goodbye

N ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒۲▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒߲▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ߲▒▒▒ $ Quick Logoff

U ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ - Help Menu

What's the best terminal program for Win 7?

Holy Cow, there are a lot more BBS system that I thought there would be! << LISTING HERE >>

Do any of you have one or two favorites?

I'm not interested in boards that get real nosey and want to mine your personal data like home address, phone number birth date, etc. I'm just looking for a nice place to hang out, share some conversation and if I'm lucky have access to a FidoNet echo or two.

Well, last night was fun. The first time I got on a BBS in over 20 years! It brought back lots of memories. Granted I was only using Putty, but it requires no changes to Windoze. Of course when I get the TI online it'll be two colors only... unless someone writes a term program for the F18A, and I doubt that it'll ever happen.
What's the best terminal program for Win 7?

On the PC, I use the included Telnet via the command line as well as an old version of HyperTerminal. Both do an OK job of color and graphic display. There are a good number of Telnet-capable programs, though feature creep makes some very difficult to use and configure.

• 7 years later...
On 8/26/2013 at 12:57 AM, Tursi said:

It's sort of on topic, but.. back in the day I used to spend a lot of time on the Texaments BBS. Does anyone know what happened to them? Did they ever make their file archives public or did they just vanish into the night?

I uploaded a few things there I'd love to see again (or at least I think I uploaded them there...). ;)

Anyone?