IGNORED

Full Color Labels for Telegames Releases

KevinMos3

I've been working on "fixing" what I've always considered to be an inexcusable lack of attention to the Telegames releases. The black labels with red text is simply generic and for games that cost me more than any other game at the time (back in the late 90s), I expected better production quality. The worst of all was the Iron Soldier 2: Limited Edition cart release, but I've not yet made a label I'm happy with for that one.

Enough bellyaching, here are two games I've finished so far:

Tower II: Plight of the Stargazer

Zero 5

If people like these, I'll continue to upload as I make progress. I did not bring my Breakout 2000 box to my new home, so if I'm going to make one for that game, I'll need someone to contribute a good quality scan. These are ready to print at 600dpi.

post-9364-0-32770600-1372978359_thumb.jpg

post-9364-0-10270700-1372978355_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Here are a few options for Iron Soldier 2. When I was finishing this one, I realized I forgot to include the part numbers on the previous ones (Towers II and Zero 5). If anyone wants to see them added, I'll re-up. Otherwise, I'll leave them as-is.

post-9364-0-40626700-1372997830_thumb.jpg

post-9364-0-90821800-1372997833_thumb.jpg

post-9364-0-05454700-1372997827_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

those look nice, it's too bad TG never made them like that.

When looking at the high res artwork I can tell that these are based on scans, I think that someone actually released the original artwork found on the HDD for these games at one point (Jaysmith2000 IIRC). The scan sourcing is not as evident of course when it is printed.

Only real problem is applying one of those to your cart will automatically decrease the value :mad:

Who cares about losing value? are you looking at Jag games as an investment or are you buying games to play with?

Thanks to Kevin for sharing this :)

I did the same years ago when i bought my cartridge of Towers II and saw the crapy and ugly original label on it.

Yours is far more beautiful than mine and I will stick it on my cartridge no matter of how many billions i will lose by doing this silly act :D

• Like 2

Who cares about losing value?

I think alot of people care about their games losing substantial value if simple measures can be taken to prevent this.

Who cares about losing value? are you looking at Jag games as an investment or are you buying games to play with?

Moreover, applying new labels to games will not make them play any better so I don't really understand what you're going with this.

Personally, the reason why I wouldn't apply alternate labels: part of the nostalgia is playing the games as they were released in and owning the packaging they were sold in. I think making modifications to the original properties of games generally reduces their value because the average gamer/collector feels similar.

From my perspective these labels present a cool "what-if" scenario and some quality examples of how TG releases could've looked. To others I can totally see them being used. Either way for those who want to use them or those who just want to see what it'd look like this is a nice thread.

When looking at the high res artwork I can tell that these are based on scans, I think that someone actually released the original artwork found on the HDD for these games at one point (Jaysmith2000 IIRC). The scan sourcing is not as evident of course when it is printed.

A few years ago I saw original artwork for Iron Soldier 2 and World Tour Racing, but the colors were so washed out that they weren't really usable. I never saw art for the other games. If you know of a source and they aren't washed out, I'd sure like to get them.

Although the background art in these are from scans of my boxes, you can't see any hint of screening from any printer I've ever seen. Even the $15,000 printer (or was it $50,000? I don't remember) at my old local print shop couldn't pick up any screening in such pictures, so the average home printer definitely should be fine.

Personally, the reason why I wouldn't apply alternate labels: part of the nostalgia is playing the games as they were released in and owning the packaging they were sold in. I think making modifications to the original properties of games generally reduces their value because the average gamer/collector feels similar.

I definitely understand this view and it has made me hesitant to mess with my carts. However, like I said in the first post, this has bothered me for... what's it been, about 15 years now?.. and I would have done this when I first received them in the mail from Telegames if I had the means. So, there's no nostalgic feeling attached to those generic labels. Besides, I don't plan to ever sell my Jag stuff. Also, while it drives me nuts when someone does a lousy quality custom paint job on a console or something, I see nothing wrong with replacing crappy generic labels with good quality ones -- provided they are printed with the proper quality on high quality sticker paper (like the quality of Al's labels from the AA store).

Heh, remember what it took to do something like this back in the 90s? Back when I first got Iron Soldier 2, I made a nice CD case for it. I took my box, along with a Jag CD case of Blue Lightning or Battlemorph, to some print shop. First I made a copy of the CD case, then I took that copy and cut out that bottom portion with the Jag CD logo and laid it over my IS2 box for the final copy. I got a pretty nice looking CD cover this way. I did the same thing for World Tour Racing. Today it's so much easier (and better) to just use Photoshop.

edit: Forgot to say this: I definitely need someone to contribute a good scan of Breakout 2000 or that original art that was mentioned in order to do a label for that game. My box is about 2,500 miles away and I didn't see any high-res art with google.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

Same here. Have a color laser, but no way is it good enough to want to ruin an original label over.

BTW: didn't realize Telegames was releasing Towers II in a color label like that. A step up from the black/red text, but still looks like ass compared to these new labels though. haha

Before:

aFtw.jpg

After:

jLDh.jpg

You've got a bit of liftage from your end labels there Felyx just like mine :-D

I think the other thing no one noticed was the comment about swapping over the guts of the cart so's not to ruin the original label. In fact the screws are under the label are they not?!!

I think the other thing no one noticed was the comment about swapping over the guts of the cart so's not to ruin the original label. In fact the screws are under the label are they not?!!

I caught that... some people I guess, have good luck or are proficient at taking hairdryers or heat guns to game labels and can "safely" remove and reapply them. :ponder:

In fact there are simply glued over the existing ones. I don't plan to remove them but it is still possible to peel them off as the glue I am using is for paper and not that strong.

The one on Towers II on first pic is not the original one but something I did and printed the same way. I removed the original label as I really found it miserable so no possible way back and I am living well with that :D

• 1 year later...

Request for a snazzy Breakout 2000 label please!

Is anyone producing these for sale yet or are people just printing off their own?

This is what the new B2K labels look like. Blech!

attachicon.gifphoto.jpg

Mine doesn't even look that good... I'd buy these if someone made them. Or keep uploading the art and I'll have a bunch printed and cut and i'll sell them myself.