IGNORED

Colecovision Champ Adaptor 2 Button Modification

I recently tried Atari 7800 CX78 Control Pad with the Colecovision and it seemed to work. I connected the Control Pad directly to the console and both buttons worked as I tested them out on Cosmic Avenger. However when I connected my Atari 7800 CX78 Control Pad to my Champ Adapter I could only launch missiles but could not shoot the forward gun. I think even both buttons launched missiles. Can anybody advise me if this 2 button mod on the Champ adapter will work, thanks

Yes, that's exactly the problem that the mod is supposed to fix.

Here's a cheap, new Y Cable that was just listed: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3609100030131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=360910003013&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I started another thread on the Y cable + stock controller as an great, inexpensive alternative to the Champ, but it kind of went off in another direction (someone building a clone of the Champ). I get the gadget appeal, but you can't beat the price and functionality of the Y cable alternative. The stock controller doesn't even need working action buttons and joystick, just keypad.

Here's a cheap, new Y Cable that was just listed: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3609100030131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=360910003013&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I started another thread on the Y cable + stock controller as an great, inexpensive alternative to the Champ, but it kind of went off in another direction (someone building a clone of the Champ). I get the gadget appeal, but you can't beat the price and functionality of the Y cable alternative. The stock controller doesn't even need working action buttons and joystick, just keypad.

Thanks the item had already sold. but Now that I know what it looks like I will keep a look out for it.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dig up an older thread but im looking for one of these Y cables as well.. i've been searching for months now it seems and still haven't had any luck anywhere. I never thought they would be so hard to find to begin with.. Lol.

Thinking about making a 'homebrew' version for now, splicing 3 DB9 type cables together and then putting that part inside a small project case or something to hide the splices. Ideally, i am hoping to find an original Y cable made for this but going the homemade route might be the only quick option and solution to hold me over.

I just want to be able to use grips CV arcade controller as well as a original (yurkie modded) controller at the same time, without having to unplug either one each time, depending on what game im playing..

I just bought a cheap DB9 (2) female to (1) male Serial Cable to experiment with. I already know that the male connection are going to be way too big to fit into the CV controller ports and thought of 'chopping' the male side down on each side, to get rid of the screws and slim/narrow it down enough to fit in the port.. The other 2 female sides wont really matter since the controller cords will plug in with no issues. Not sure how everything will work out and it might not look pretty.. im just hoping for functionality here more than anything until I get my hands on the real deal.

Does anybody have any suggestions or one to part with by any chance? Feel free to PM me if so and I will post in the Wanted section within the Marketplace section as well.. Any help and/or info on any of this would be greatly appreciated.. :) Thanks!

As you are finding out unfortunately, the "Joystick Y Cable" (2 controllers into 1 gameport) don't show up for sale very often, but even rarer to see become available is the "Joystick Reverse Y Cable" (1 controller into 2 gameports). I hope you finally get lucky and track one of these "Y Cables" down and the Wanted Forum of the MarketPlace will hopefully do the trick. You might want to narrow down your search criteria on eBay using the names of companies that actually produced these cables:

- Wico

- Dynamics

- Newport Controls

- Questar Controls

- Gemini Industries

I wish I could help you out, but it took me a very long time to track these down in CIB form and even got hit with some overseas shipping expenses.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Jim. :thumbsup:

Yes they are all unbelievably hard to find and also detailed info on them in the first place.. you summed up everything though and that will narrow my search down a bit.

As you are finding out unfortunately, the "Joystick Y Cable" (2 controllers into 1 gameport) don't show up for sale very often, but even rarer to see become available is the "Joystick Reverse Y Cable" (1 controller into 2 gameports). I hope you finally get lucky and track one of these "Y Cables" down and the Wanted Forum of the MarketPlace will hopefully do the trick. You might want to narrow down your search criteria on eBay using the names of companies that actually produced these cables:

- Wico

- Dynamics

- Newport Controls

- Questar Controls

- Gemini Industries

I wish I could help you out, but it took me a very long time to track these down in CIB form and even got hit with some overseas shipping expenses.

Thanks for the info, Jim. Greatly appreciated. I tried Wico of course but wasn't sure about the other companies.. you narrowed things down quite a bit though and summed it all up, that helps out big time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No sweat.. ill find one eventually.. just loose would be fantastic, since ill be using them regularly. That's cool to collect them CIB as well.. hopefully someday ;-)

and A searchin' I will go!

Finding them in CIB form is pretty tough unless a serious collector decides to sell, so where you really have to pay attention is with system lots that go up for sale. Sometimes the cable is not listed in the description, but it's pictured in amongst all the items.

Whoops! Lol. that was a strange, sort-of double post... guess that's what I get for getting on here first thing in the morning and typing up a reply when I'm literally half awake and no coffee yet. :dunce:

Hmm, anyway.. I keep my eyes peeled for a loose Y- Cable and have posted in the Wanted, marketplace section. Seems like everyone wants one, just hoping more become available so we can all get our fix.. ;)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

I really like the pad with the input from the original post, but I'll have to try the Y cables I have with my Coleco Gemini clone.

I got them in another "bundle" auction. They don't say Gemini.

Now that I look at them the single end is missing the top right two contacts, and the one bottom right. The double end has all the pins.

The Coleco Gemini Y-Cable was used to hook up the Kid Vid Voice Module. I don't recall the configuration of how the controllers and Kid Vid were hooked up, but that Y-Cable is definetely only for use with these items and can't be used on the ColecoVision.

The Coleco Gemini Y-Cable was used to hook up the Kid Vid Voice Module. I don't recall the configuration of how the controllers and Kid Vid were hooked up, but that Y-Cable is definetely only for use with these items and can't be used on the ColecoVision.

I thought they were used to hook up 4 Gemini Joystick-Paddles for 4 player paddle games?

I thought they were used to hook up 4 Gemini Joystick-Paddles for 4 player paddle games?

That could be as well, but a number of years ago I sold one to a member on here who was looking for one to be able to use his Kid Vid Voice Module. I guess that I'll have to search for some Coleco Gemini manual scans to see if there is mention of this Y-Cable as my interest is peeked now.