IGNORED

Xbox One advertising plan

Microsoft has given me another reason not to get the Xbox One Eighty. This is just another reason why they're including the Kinect with every console. I sure am glad I won't have to worry about getting a virus when accidentally clicking on an advertisement on my Xbox One Eighty. I'm also glad they'll be moving the ads around the screen so we'll never know where they're at and be forced to see them more. Ads are the entire reason I'd buy one. I've been itching to pay $500 plus tax so Microsoft can sell my metadata. It's not like I'd want to play actual games on it or anything like that.

http://sticktwiddler...tising-in-mind/

The attending Xbox LIVE Advertising Developer commented that they don’t actually receive a lot of the biometric information collected by Kinect. “This sort of works at two levels. There’s the game producers who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they’ve got a lot more control of the whole thing,” he stated, “whereas from the advertising point of view we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can’t do certain things.”

What could transpire in the future though is something that we’re already seeing with a lot of facial recognition technology and personalised information being used to target advertisements. For example, Kinect could detect how many users are in the room and could serve advertisements aimed at families, groups, or individuals. Additional information from your Xbox LIVE account could also influence these by using metrics such as your gender, age, location, media habits and more, and Microsoft are very aware of the potential around this.

“Xbox is moving more outside of the bedroom. We’re seeing much, much more people use it in living rooms where there is family, friends, there is lots going on, so there is a context of perceiving the content,” says the Senior Digital Art Director/UX Designer. “It’s not like when you’re at work when you sit in front of a screen and your experience is very personal. But with Xbox, it’s lots of people in front of once big screen. They are playing or watching together and advertising is being consumed in a totally different way.”

And like all advertising agencies, the Xbox team are just as interested in their audience. As an Xbox 360 user for around 4 years who never clicks on the ads and is fully aware on where they are placed on the dashboard, it was certainly interesting to hear their facts and opinions on the Xbox audience who do, and could potentially, engage with advertisements on the console.

“On Xbox, the ad is part of the actual experience, it’s not something that is outside. The only difference is that the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash,” said the Senior Digital Art Director/UX Designer. “So the users know that this is something that when they click on it, they won’t be hit by something crazy or something dangerous like on the web. Everything that lands there, we create.”

The Xbox team are utilising something called ‘native advertising’ which is when the adverts are built into the actual content, as opposed to tacked on at the side or above. Statistics have shown that this sort of advertising achieves 52% more clicks than traditional advertising and combats ‘ad blindness’ – a situation where you automatically ignore advertising space on websites. However I and many other gamers are aware of where these ads are, negating this, so definitely expect a change in the future.

• Like 6

I started blocking Micorosft ads on my router when they began doing that shit about 4 years ago....when they changed the dashboard on the 360. Then when Gold became a requirement for such mundane things like Netflix I quit supporting the Xbox 360 for the most part.

They can't justify a 500+ dollar asking price (minus a Gold subscription) before the 180 and they certainly can't justify it post-180 IMO.

This is exactly the sort of thing that prevents me from ever ordering one.

I'll never say never but that's the way it is right now. Yeah I'm still pissed.

• Like 1

Microsoft really doesn't need to give me any more reasons not to buy this thing. They have gone above and beyond convincing me and I applaud their efforts but they can stop now. Really. They won't have to worry about any of my money funneling in their general direction. That'll do, Microsoft. That'll do.

• Like 3

Of course this was why they wanted their users online all the time! It's how they can more effectively push advertising on gamers... even though they've already paid for the games, the hardware, and the online service. What I'm basically saying is, Microsoft is chock full 'o scumbags.

On that note, here's a horrifying vision of the future that made the rounds on Tumblr a month ago, when Microsoft was still pushing the notion of a game console with a mandatory online connection...

7328a534133c4c0f47885e41d45cc714.png

• Like 3

if the console is more expensive than the PS4, and if Microsoft is already rich beyond belief, then there's no excuse for ads, let alone spycamera ones. I'd expect ads from something like Ouya, but this is just utter crap.

• Like 2

if the console is more expensive than the PS4, and if Microsoft is already rich beyond belief, then there's no excuse for ads, let alone spycamera ones. I'd expect ads from something like Ouya, but this is just utter crap.

But you don't understand. You can never be too rich or too powerful. It's the mentality of the people running these companies.

If everyone in the US started hammering congress about spy cameras in electronics then they might pass legislation to block this and prevent cable companies from doing it as well.

• Like 2

Mandatory kinect? Who would sign up for that?? I thought Americains of all people were proud and really stood up for thier freedom. Myself as a half can half usa likes freedom. And if you want to pay to be sentenced to at home monitoring like a pedofile than No one can help you. Your a idiot... just imo. free world tho fall into place at your will if you think thats a great deal..

Edited by Jinks

This is AA, and we oughn't be political.

Now, that being said, this spying business is really, really scary. In the wrong hands, it is potentially life threatening. It is the biggest, scariest domestic issue... and is regarded by most as a non-issue.

There, I said it. I feel much better. Back on topic.

This Kinnect bs is messed up. I don't want to be target, profiled or influenced by ads and sponsorship on an involentary basis. If I don't want to see an ad on the TV or online, I simply ignore it. But here's the thing with MS: the ad SEES YOU. I will not submit to this if I have any choice in the matter.

• Like 3

This Kinnect bs is messed up. I don't want to be target, profiled or influenced by ads and sponsorship on an involentary basis. If I don't want to see an ad on the TV or online, I simply ignore it. But here's the thing with MS: the ad SEES YOU. I will not submit to this if I have any choice in the matter.

We do have a choice (thankfully). As I have said many times before...speak with your wallets folks! It is a language that M$ can definitely understand. I pre-ordered a PS4...no big brother style surveillance camera included. If enough people purchase a PS4 or WiiU, they will see it in the quarterly reports. Same goes for a lack of sales with the Xbone. Even if you don't want one of the other systems, you would be better served by not buying any system at all. That is how they get the message...so far, it seems to have worked. I can guarantee that all of the "changes of heart" M$ has been having lately with regards to DRM and game sharing/used games, is due to the dramatically low pre-order numbers they saw in the first week.

• Like 2

I pre-ordered the PS4 and the Xbox One. I'm not too keen on them including the Kinect as I rarely use the one I have now, it's not a huge deal to me as I probably will use it some just like I did with the older unit. Every now and again it's quite fun to play around with. Also using the Kinect isn't mandatory. Most people are forgetting that the thing can be disabled, MS has stated this is true of the new unit as well and if it's anything like the current Kinect...easily. You just have to like bennybingo pointed out, choose to do it.

Also using the Kinect isn't mandatory. Most people are forgetting that the thing can be disabled, MS has stated this is true of the new unit as well and if it's anything like the current Kinect...easily.

Disabled just means that Microsoft and the NSA are disabling your ability to know it is still on. Remember that scene from 2001 when they thought they were having a private conversation but HAL could still read their lips? Also, by disabling it you are helping them narrow down who is worth watching. If you want to be sure that it is off then you would have to put tape on it. But that would just narrow down who is worth watching even more with other methods. You could try taking it offline until you need the internet but that would raise red flags too. They don't have enough personnel to watch everyone. So, they invent ways to get people to tell on themselves and others. Anyway, I thought this was hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKTseEpWrYc

I'm to the point where I'd want a hard wired off switch on the damn thing and if it doesn't come with one, I'd make one.

It appears that the whole reason for integrating TV was so they could gather info on what you are watching.

Some exec said "we can make billions doing this" and everyone blindly nodded in approval without one thought for your privacy.

That would explain why they didn't integrate DVR features. It's not about the consumer, it's only about their quest for more money.

But that's just speculation.

Disabled just means that Microsoft and the NSA are disabling your ability to know it is still on. Remember that scene from 2001 when they thought they were having a private conversation but HAL could still read their lips? Also, by disabling it you are helping them narrow down who is worth watching. If you want to be sure that it is off then you would have to put tape on it. But that would just narrow down who is worth watching even more with other methods. You could try taking it offline until you need the internet but that would raise red flags too. They don't have enough personnel to watch everyone. So, they invent ways to get people to tell on themselves and others. Anyway, I thought this was hilarious:

Yep I agree. And you know a cell phone is always on as well. Just because the screen blacks out don't think "they" aren't listening to you, and don't get me started on those digital alarm clocks we all have next to our beds.

Back to the game consoles, even though you can disable your Kinect and connection to the internet, they have ways around that as well. Every Xbox One will include a little sliding door on the side so the carrier pigeon can get you data back to them!!. PS4 and Wii U are the same way. Except on the Wii U is not a carrier pigeon it's a koopa. I tell you, we live in scary times!! Fight the system!! Fight them with your wallets folks!!

• Like 1

They also do not want cross platform play (MMO's)

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/07/09/final-fantasy-mmo-skipping-xbox-one-because-of-microsoft-s-policies

I'm not a big MMO guy but I have played them and I always hoped for cross platform playing with friends that only game on a console (and I do want to try the FF 14 reboot).

Funny cause FF11 was PC, PS2 and 360 all playing together IIRC. It’s Microsogft screwing it up for themselves these days.

I'm glad Mattrick is no longer with Microsoft but they really need to look at some other decision makers there. At some point things went to shit but I never imagined shit like this.

Bah....tired of ranting.