IGNORED

Colecovision vs 7800 vs 5200

thursday83

And the subject might not exactly be appropriate. Anyway, I just got a Coleco vision from eBay yesterday. Just to see an honest comparison to Atari systems. Not only am I disappointed, but I feel that both the Atari 5200 and the Atari 7800 outshine the Colecovision overall by leaps and bounds. We could get into a lot of subjects, but for now I will say this. Controllers - I feel that both Atari systems have better controllers then this Coleco vision. Graphics-I feel Atari graphics on both systems are better, and gameplay is more entertaining.

I would take 7800 Desert Falcon over Colecovision zaxxon any day, not sure what all that hype was about. Bob and company are releasing games on the 7800 that blow colecovision out of the water, I don't know. Just never had a colecovision, and decided to check it out, and remained glad that I'm Atari all the way. Not into Intellivision either. Long live Atari 7800, and 5200 as well. Any games to recommend for CV? I think that I might sell it at a garage sale next weekend, unless you guys tell me otherwise.

• Like 3

You're absolutely right!

Now, how much do you want to get rid of this crap? ;)

On a more serious note, I'm giving my experience with the controllers.

7800 --> I'm very lucky because I got the system recently. So I don't have to deal with the pro-line painfull joystick. I'm glad I bought from Golden.Axe a modded nes and advanced nes controller.

If I had to play with the original controller, I would hate the experience. (Well I would still love Crazy Brix from Bob :grin:)

5200 --> I decided to NOT get this one exactly due to the a really bad controller. Living outside America I can't afford to import parts and new controllers to replace them that often (not to mention 4 months waiting for international shipping).

Once I got a good offer here, the guy had 9 :-o controllers! Why 9 controllers? Certainly many with problems as he told me later.

You probably will find better answers to game recommendations for the ColecoVision here: http://atariage.com/...ecovision-adam/

As far as the subject you might as well started with: "ColecoVision vs NES vs 5200" or "ColecoVision vs SMS vs 5200", and then posed the same question [Any games to recommend for CV?] on an NES board or SMS board.

Additionally, the sorts of discussions that arise from such a subject don't fare well when drawing comparisons to systems from different generations [ColecoVision/5200 as opposed to 7800], whereas the subject can give the implication that they are of the same; especially on the board in which the system being (unintentionally) misaligned is the one being utilized.

To help appreciate the point better, let's say someone goes to a Sega Genesis board, and posts the following:

NES vs Genesis vs SMS

"And the subject might not exactly be appropriate. Anyway, I just got a NES from eBay yesterday. Just to see an honest comparison to Sega systems. Not only am I disappointed, but I feel that both the Sega Master System and the Sega Genesis outshine the NES overall by leaps and bounds. We could get into a lot of subjects, but for now I will say this. Controllers - I feel that both Sega systems have better controllers then this NES. Graphics-I feel Sega graphics on both systems are better, and gameplay is more entertaining.

I would take a Genesis shooter over a NES shooter any day, not sure what all that hype was about. Joe and company are releasing games on the Genesis that blow NES out of the water, I don't know. Just never had a NES, and decided to check it out, and remained glad that I'm Sega all the way. Not into Turbo Grafx-16 either. Long live Sega Genesis, and Master System as well. Any games to recommend for NES? I think that I might sell it at a garage sale next weekend, unless you guys tell me otherwise."

You could of course perform the same exercise posting a similar topic and discussion on a Super Nintendo board, replacing any instances of Sega Genesis with SNES, and reverse the places of where NES and SMS appear.

Anyhow, as mentioned, a better and likely more informed recommendation for ColecoVision games will be provided on the ColecoVision board, rather than the 7800 one.

Best of luck with the ColecoVision.

• Like 2

Colecovision came with Donkey Kong and had other arcade games to play at home and was cheaper than the 5200 which came with Breakout.

The 5200's games were initially better versions of what was on the 2600, games which we already had, and 2600 games were good enough to justify not re-buying the same titles and a new 5200 system.

The 2600 was developed in 1975 for a 1977 release, improved upon in 1979 to the Atari 400/800 computer which is also the 5200.

The 2600 was also improved upon a 2nd time in 1984 into the 7800 by GCC for Atari.

The ColecoVision was released in 1982 so it should far outshine the 2600 and 5200 but programming at that time kept all 3 systems competitive. The ColecoVision being under-utilized, while the 2600 was pushed light years beyond its intended usage.

The 7800 had two additional years of technology over the ColecoVision.

The point I am trying to make is escaping me, so I best stop here.

Trebor - the reason why I posted it on the 7800 forum, even though you didn't catch the "might not be appropriate" part, is because you'll see a lot of similar titles as official releases on both systems (DK, DKJR), and some ports in the works (Frenzy) or released as "homebrews" (Beef Drop, Bonq) that were original releases to the Colecovision. God forbid I make a comparison in favor of the 7800.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Atari fan. I love the 2600, and although I don't care too much for the 5200, I love its progenitor, the Atari 400 (and Atari800) and its ancestor, the Atari XE Game System. They're great!!!!

But I still believe that the Colecovision demands some respect. It had great on-screen colors and sprites for its time. I think you should play more of the games; perhaps get an Atarimax cart and play them all.

The controller was really bad for the day. Fortunately, AtariAge user "Yurkie" mods the controllers by not only straightening the cord, but by placing a ball on top. I can't emphasize how much this really does help; it makes an unplayable system playable, at least for me.

The Colecovision came out right at the time of the "great" videogame crash. If this system would have been released under different circumstances, it would have been "pushed" further, and probably with good results. But as it stands - with Yurkie's modded controllers and an Atarimax cartridge, it's waaaaay up there on my list of favorite systems, and - in my opinon - the graphics, sprites, and on-screen (at once, and for the era) number of colors is very good! Give it another chance. The controllers are originally quite flawed, but this creative fella I've mentioned can fix 'em for ya.

I would agree about original games . But .. lots of great colecovision homebrews are out there . Granted , alot of them are sold out so I dont know if for you its worth it to keep the coleco . But with the Atari 2600 , 5200 , and 7800 homebrews... you dont have to worry about homebrews being sold out . You can buy them anytime you want from the AA store ... never sold out !

Edited by AtariBrian

Trebor - the reason why I posted it on the 7800 forum, even though you didn't catch the "might not be appropriate" part, is because you'll see a lot of similar titles as official releases on both systems (DK, DKJR), and some ports in the works (Frenzy) or released as "homebrews" (Beef Drop, Bonq) that were original releases to the Colecovision. God forbid I make a comparison in favor of the 7800.

The point was not there is an issue if you "make a comparison in favor of the 7800" - that is a straw man fallacy.

I caught 'might not be appropriate', suggested where a better place would be to ask about, "Any games to recommend for CV?", and of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a comparison in favor of the 7800. Just relating what history has shown on these boards regarding this kind of topic in the manner in which the information was presented.

The games you mentioned (DK, DKJR, Beef Drop (Burgertime), b*nQ (Q*bert)), were not only all released under the NES too, but a part of its original retail release library. Additionally, the Sega Genesis has: Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Joust, Robotron: 2084, and Centipede as games a part of its original retail release library. The Super Nintendo has: Ms. Pac-Man, Joust, Robotron: 2084, Centipede, and Mr. Do! as games a part of its original retail release library. I stand by my previous analogy and the logic associated with it.

I still wish you the best with your ColecoVision. Being an owner of all the aforementioned systems, the ColecoVision is a keeper along with the rest. I personally recommend getting Yurkie's mod here: http://atariage.com/...ales-july-2013/

Outstanding work and makes the ColecoVision experience - especially the controller - much better.

P.S. Gorf & Mr. Do's Castle - Better on the ColecoVision than the 5200.

P.S.S. Alcazar the Forgotten Fortress - A must own.

P.S.S.S. And get this: http://www.atarimax..../documentation/

• Like 1

I was a member on here for less than 24 hours when I discovered how sensitive people can be when you have something less than stellar to say about a given gaming system, even if it was a comment on a thread started by someone else. From that point on I have tended to tread lightly on this forum. My advice, don't say anything negative about anything, ever. LOL!

The Colecovision is the only system I still have not owned, so I can't really comment on that. However, I have an emulator and played some Colecovision games... I'm pretty impressed with the games I have played considering the era of it's release and it's competition of the time.

My advice, don't say anything negative about anything, ever. LOL!

And that wouldn't be the point either.

Plenty negative can be said about the 7800. Outdated default sound system, hand cramping joysticks, and way too many 'simulator' games for a console with a relatively small library, are for starters. Composite out would have been nice too, thank goodness for those with talent and the ability to do so have shared. Which I highly recommend this service for those seeking such a modification for the 7800: http://electronicsentimentalities.com/InstallationServices.html

And back to Yurkie again to keep the same 7800 controllers but fix some of the problems with it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-for-7800-proline-controllers-15-may-2013/

The.Golden.Ax also works wonders with practically any controller you throw at him to make it 7800 compatible: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199849-fs-nintendo-controllers-and-joysticks-modified-to-play-on-7800-or-2600/

Just finding out about this Colecovision SGM now. :) Looks like a really cool device and the games for it look awesome. If I'm lucky enough to get one of those SGM's, I'll buy my first Colecovision.

Just finding out about this Colecovision SGM now. :) Looks like a really cool device and the games for it look awesome. If I'm lucky enough to get one of those SGM's, I'll buy my first Colecovision.

Sounds like a plan...It's probably best to test your luck on the ColecoVision forums specifically in this thread: http://atariage.com/...able-for-order/ concerning that ColecoVision hardware.

My advice, don't say anything negative about anything, ever. LOL!

And that wouldn't be the point either.

There's also a pretty big difference between having an informed opinion and parroting those of what they've read online. Or worse, complaining about a systems fault(s) that people who actually owned them back in the day didn't. "The 5200 is teh sux because it's big".

Uh....ok.

• Like 1

What if you never owned them back in the day, but own them now? I bought my first 5200 back in 1999 because I always wanted one, growing up with only the 2600. I played it for a while and lost interest after a few weeks because of the controller, sold it on ebay. Almost 15 years later I decide to give it another go, now I love it and play it daily because now I have a better understanding of it's shortcomings... It's the quirkiness of a system that has a certain charm that only certain people can appreciate. I drive a beater 1984 Volkswagen GTI... you can't get a more quirkier, problematic vehicle than that, but I love it...

• Like 2

...Any games to recommend for CV?...

The Colecovision has quite a few great games:

Tapper and Spy Hunter are both hands down the best port to any home console.

Frenzy is one of my favorites and I like it much more than the arcade. It has added music that totally makes the game for me. It's so catchy and really sets the mood. I hope Bob includes an option for this music in his port, because the game just isn't the same without it.

Squish'em Sam is a lot of fun and even has voice. I wish the 2600 port would be updated to take advantage of the AtariVox with such voices.

Gyruss is really good.

I love Turbo and Dukes of Hazzard, but they require the steering wheel which may be kinda costly now (I don't know).

Other great games:

Bump 'n Jump

Lady Bug

Mr. Do!

Roc'n Rope

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

Space Fury

Subroc

Tarzan

There are several others, but these are just a few of my favorites. It's actually easier to name the games that aren't that great. I like most of the games in the Coleco library.

If you are any sort of Atari fan, you really owe it to yourself to pick up Pixelboy's recent release of "Quest for the Golden Chalice." That game alone is worth getting a Colecovision for. I'd love to see it ported to the 7800.

Almost all the MSX and SG-1000 ports by Opcode are really good.

I've always hated the Colecovision controllers, but the games I mentioned are still quite playable with them. For some games, I use a 7800 control pad (that is actually a NES conversion).

There's also a pretty big difference between having an informed opinion and parroting those of what they've read online. Or worse, complaining about a systems fault(s) that people who actually owned them back in the day didn't. "The 5200 is teh sux because it's big".

Uh....ok.

Big and ugly, and the controlelrs suck dog balls. Fortunately, there is a solution: Atari 400/800/XL/XE/XEGS - the un-bastardized version of the Atari 5200. Anybody with 2 brain cells knows this, and won't argue. Controllers that are cheap and don't suck, and the games are the same. Not sure what more what one could want. But some people love sucky stuff, hence the Edsel. :)

What if you never owned them back in the day, but own them now? I bought my first 5200 back in 1999 because I always wanted one, growing up with only the 2600. I played it for a while and lost interest after a few weeks because of the controller, sold it on ebay. Almost 15 years later I decide to give it another go, now I love it and play it daily because now I have a better understanding of it's shortcomings... It's the quirkiness of a system that has a certain charm that only certain people can appreciate. I drive a beater 1984 Volkswagen GTI... you can't get a more quirkier, problematic vehicle than that, but I love it...

Yeah it's all good. Kinda jumped on ya there (and in the aforementioned thread).

It's kind of tough sometimes when you see something you grew up with being bashed, particularly with misinformation. I'll be the first one to jump on some of the 5200's faults (the most egregious of which imo is the pack in. F***ing Super Breakout? Really?), but when some of the tired, inaccurate ones come up (like the "tired old 2600 games, just updated versions" DUH! that's what we wanted!!!), it tends to agitate just a little. Sorry if I seemed a bit overdefensive (sp?).

Quest for the Golden Chalice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXwu5P_7ng

wow thats awesome! Where can I pick this up?

Not into Intellivision either

Woah, lets not be hasty here. I love my 7800 but the Intellivision is a great system as well.. this may be blasphemy but after playing the Intellivision in recent years for the first time, I wish my parents would have gotten one of them instead of a 2600.

That cord on the controllers is hard to get past....

Yeah, I think back then it was considered ingenious and ensured cords don't get tangled while keeping everything looking nice and neat to store inside the console itself (See 5200 controller storage for a similar notion).

From my experience, we use to play keeping the system at your feet while sitting in front of a television...Or you would take the console that was typically sitting on top of the TV and move it to the coffee table while you sat on the couch to play. The cord (shortness) actually came across as an advantage rather than disadvantage. Regardless, Yurkie's mods for the ColecoVision (You can just get the controller mods), fixes both the cord 'issue' as well as make for a much more comfortable joystick.

Love playing Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man for it....Everything else, meh.

Thats actually why I got it, I saw a youtube video of how good it looked on the Intelli. I always assumed the Intellivision was inferior to the 2600 graphics/sound wise.. then I found Tower of Doom which is comparable to modern indie RPG's of today. I also picked up Christmas Carol which is an exceptionally well done homebrew package.. I was sold.