IGNORED

Colecovision vs 7800 vs 5200

thursday83

That cartridge was an abortion. Seriously, they based Missile Command off the 2600 version when they have a 3-button pad stock?

Ah.. It took me a minute to realize you were talking about the Genesis Arcade Classics.

Yes. It was horrible.. :( I can't even think of an excuse!

You outlined the mushrooms too? Wouldn't 320 mode clean the player's shooter up nicely?? :)

Yes, I have updated the mushrooms graphics (now softer and closer to the arcade).

In addition, I have updated the eyes and the animation of the Centipede (now his feet are no longer alternate) and I used the arcade score font.

About the player graphic, unfortunately it is not possible to use both 160 mode and 320 mode on the same line.

Centipede_Frameless (WIP).a78

ffJRpL.png

5ZSM91.png

• Like 4

That cartridge was an abortion. Seriously, they based Missile Command off the 2600 version when they have a 3-button pad stock?

So why isn't anyone modding the Genesis/Mega Drive version? Source code not available or cannot be disassembled? Centipede and Missile Command on the Genesis needs to support the Sega Sports Pad.

Yes, I have updated the mushrooms graphics (now softer and closer to the arcade).

In addition, I have updated the eyes and the animation of the Centipede (now his feet are no longer alternate) and I used the arcade score font.

About the player graphic, unfortunately it is not possible to use both 160 mode and 320 mode on the same line.

attachicon.gifCentipede_Frameless (WIP).a78

ffJRpL.png

5ZSM91.png

Defender,

Looks good. What about reserving those mods to the Centipede-TB version so it can preserve Trak-Ball support? :)

I would love to have the skills to do this...

Well, the controls would be a menu switch at the launch of the game. From there it's just a check on that setting for the control check... I don't know the specific assembly, but I'm sure SOMEONE could put that in without too much effort. The only trick would be getting the menu to work with /either/ controller at launch.

Edit: Of course, there's always just checking the difficulty switch, if it's not used for anything else...

Edited by Jaynz

$20 new in box at Best, they have tons in stock.

Can you specify which Trak-Balls they have in stock in abundance? The CX-22 or the CX-80? The Wico doesn't count and the CX-53 for the 5200 is definitely a collector's item and obviously won't work with a 2600, 7800, A8 or ST.

To be honest I have never seen a trackball of any sorts in person not counting the arcade machines that had them.

Paddles and touch pads yep. Atari light guns never only nes ones.

Seemed anything other than a joystick and paddle and touch pad(star raiders pack in) was a rare atari controller.

Marco,

I'll help put the joystick control back in if we keep it simple by using the A/B switch to select the controller. Did kenfused create a disassembly when he added trackball support? It would save some work if you could get a hold of it.

• Like 1

Marco,

I'll help put the joystick control back in if we keep it simple by using the A/B switch to select the controller. Did kenfused create a disassembly when he added trackball support? It would save some work if you could get a hold of it.

Awesome! Tep392 and Defender_2600 working on this!

Just think, if you guys add a POKEY detect function and the POKEY audio from either the 5200 port or the arcade original, you'll have the definitive home version of the game...

Awesome! Tep392 and Defender_2600 working on this!

Just think, if you guys add a POKEY detect function and the POKEY audio from either the 5200 port or the arcade original, you'll have the definitive home version of the game...

My plates pretty full right now. Maybe down the road I'll find time to do that.

• Like 2

This 7800 Centipede update needs its own thread, not buried here in the weeds of a Coleco compare/contrast thread. :)

Maybe a combined thread for it along with Walter & Co's Millipede hack/update.

Ages ago, I wanted Megapede for the ST after reading about it in Atari Explorer. It was apparently a co-production between Atari Corp France and Infogrames back then. I never got a copy but a couple of years ago, I saw a YouTube vid and was disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype one bit.