Photo

about cartridges, molds, colors etc.. etc..

129 replies to this topic

#26 atari181 OFFLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 3,065 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:41 PM

T-handles :evil:

Lol, well guess I'm not the only one!

#27 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:42 PM

The Atari based mold would be best I think, or perhaps Activision but I think most people prefer Atari carts.

#28 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:43 PM

Lol, well guess I'm not the only one!

Really, t-handle?

#29 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,053 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:44 PM

Original Atari casings, all of our PCB's and labels are made for those.

#30 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,405 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:45 PM

The mold itself will be made in Montreal

The cart shells will be made using the very same company we use for our CV cart shells

I'm really confused on wich case to use as there is plenty of different ones!

Edited by retroillucid, Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:48 PM.

#31 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

• 7,405 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:46 PM

Original Atari casings, all of our PCB's and labels are made for those.

Make sense then! :)

Thanks

#32 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

• 7,405 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:47 PM

Originally, I though about using the Coleco brand one

But hey. I'm a Coleco collector so...

#33 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,598 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:48 PM

Really, t-handle?

Just kidding. :)

Original Atari cases, colored and translucent.

#34 atari181 OFFLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 3,065 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:49 PM

Wiz makes sense, but for the coolness factor, I would prefer anything but. Colors definitely help though

#35 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:55 PM

Princess Rescue in a burgundy cart would be awesome.

#36 olivil OFFLINE  

olivil

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 4:37 PM

I'd donate money for an "overpriced" homebrew if that means we can stop killing common carts and get an Atari style mold. :)

#37 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,983 posts

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013 11:01 PM

Just kidding. :)

Original Atari cases, colored and translucent.

+1

#38 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 AM

Any news on this front?

#39 bcombee OFFLINE  

bcombee

Moonsweeper

• 347 posts

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:03 AM

I helped Albert with the vacuum formed inserts for Ixion here at the Austin TechShop... They also have an injection molding machine, and I'm about to start work the class series to get certified for it with the goal to make new cartridge shells. Monday nights class is on mold design using Autodesk Inventor, then my next class will be on using the CNC mill to cut the aluminum via the computer design.

#40 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,983 posts

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 PM

Progress is really coming along. I hope the new cart shells aren't too awesome, or my wallet will be crying when I repurchase all my homebrews!!! :rolling:

#41 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,646 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 AM

Atari shells have many flaws, IMO. The movable dust door is unnecessary (and 7800 games don't fit in them), the later Atari shells fit 2600 and 7800 games and don't have the dust door, but have those annoying holes under the label, and all have the screw under the label (not a flaw, just nice to be able to open a cart without destroying a label, IMO.) I would like a shell that takes Atari-style boards but with all of those flaws fixed. If anyone's going through the trouble and expense to get new shells made, you might as well address those things and not just copy an existing shell.

#42 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,983 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:24 AM

Please, please, please, put the screw hole in the back like NES carts do... :roll:

#43 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 AM

They should also adopt the style of other consoles and have the board reinforced so it doesn't wobble and prevent the game from insterting. Atari is the only console with that flaw. The dust cover models are the worst because the dust covers get stuck.

#44 bcombee OFFLINE  

bcombee

Moonsweeper

• 347 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 PM

That's all good feedback... I think accepting standard Atari boards is important, and I really like the idea of having the screws in the back and accessible.  I'm against having the complication of the dust cover.  I'm also thinking how to make the design easily able to accommodate things like adding accessory ports for USB connectors, SD card slots, or external sound jacks.  One thought it to make both ends open -- one end for the cart connector, the other end to hold a plastic blank (for normal games) or a laser cut acrylic panel for specialty carts.

Since I'm designing this for the injection molding hardware at TechShop, doing different designs is basically the cost of a block of aluminum, the time to update a design file and the time to CNC mill out the aluminum.  However, I still don't have a good feel for the economics of it... obviously this saves Albert time by not having to scrap existing carts, but there is the time of actually running the machine, plus the cost of the raw plastic.  I'll have a better feel for this once I've taken the classes.

#45 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,245 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 PM

I like the idea of having an insert for the end of the cart. Besides the flexibility for things like the Harmony cart, it would also allow you to disassemble a cart without damaging the end label either.

#46 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 PM

Wouldn't it be better to have the cart front be the bulk including the end label and the back fit onto it like the Sega and NES carts? It just seems excessive to me to have one end be a cap for features that likely will never be used anyway. I don't want to rain on the parade though so I guess it all comes down to economics and logistics. It will be more work to put a cap on each cart but it may make placing the labels easier.

#47 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,983 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:47 PM

Wouldn't it be better to have the cart front be the bulk including the end label and the back fit onto it like the Sega and NES carts?

I disagree. Screw holes in the back of the cart are a definite necessity (if someone is paranoid about cart tampering they could still fill in the screw hole with black epoxy), but most Atari gamers are so used to inserting the carts label backwards, that it would feel odd to place the cart with the label facing frontwards. Seasoned veterans will pick up the cart and try to insert it backwards creating a somewhat awkward moment before they realize it goes the other way.

One neat Idea that I have, 3rd party cartridge designs often had logos or branding embossed in the form of raised edges on the cart backside. Appollo, Activision, and several other manufacturers did this. If the AtariAge (AA) circular logo could be embossed on the cart case, this would promote brand recognition of AtariAge and help distinguish future official AA homebrew releases from bootleg knockoffs. AA branded cart shells would only be sold through the store as complete games, or to trusted 3rd parties.

photo-3.png?_r=1353210586

With an injection mold, batches can be cheaply made in any color plastic so I vote for three options to choose classic black, white, or transparent cart shells. If clear shells are used, EP ROMs will need a (preferably metallic) sticker or shield over them to prevent bit-rot due to UV exposure or accidental "nukes." :-o

Edited by stardust4ever, Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 PM.

#48 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 960 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 PM

Ok, I didn't think it through. I just mean have the end label part be one piece with one side and the other fit onto it. Use a screw to hold it yes, but don't make it three parts with a cap or with a split end either. I too want the labels to be facing the same way as they do now.

The AA logo is a must, I agree on that. I disagree on colors as I personally want a maroon instead of white. Red is a very popular color. That said the translucent ones would be cool also. All that of course is if it's possible and wanted by a majority.

#49 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:31 PM

Progress is really coming along. I hope the new cart shells aren't too awesome, or my wallet will be crying when I repurchase all my homebrews!!! :rolling:

Perfect time for me to be finally able to afford homebrews!

#50 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,319 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:03 PM

Specialty carts with a connector for AtariVox+ would allow speech for 2-players at the same time ( both joystick ports free), and hardware in the cart could be fast enough to drive the SpeakJet chip's 5 channel music synthesiser!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users