IGNORED

GTIABlast! WIP demo

playsoft

I would love to see more games using GTIA in text mode. I did some experimentation with that back in the day ... I had a concept of a Breakout style game using this mode, and DLI's to color the blocks. There have been a few games which made use of this mode too ... like Henry's House, and a couple of other Breakout games as well.

I also like the music (hoping for some nice sfx too).

The only thing I can take any credit for with the music is a converter which takes a midi file and turns it into simple data for the 8-bit. The project will need a musician but it may not be the best platform to attract any interest. I am reluctant to pull in a tracker as I'm trying to minimise cpu cycles and it's 15kHz since I use a Pokey timer for the sprites.

Little heavy on the eyes while moving left and right ...

Noted. I personally prefer to have the horizontal movement present than not to have it, but the thing to do is to make it selectable.

Great! Have considered entering this into the ABBUC competition?

I don't think you can put out demos if you want to enter the competition. As this is going to be a long term project, I didn't really want that restriction.

seems 2013 battle of Mode9 games... ;)

It definitely won't be finished this year... probably not next year either.

i'm sure i don't know what you mean... mine's based on something i started in 2010 and have just refined (where "refine" means "completely redesign and code from scratch"). =-)

Great minds... and I thought I was doing something sort of original...

I would love to see more games using GTIA in text mode. I did some experimentation with that back in the day ... I had a concept of a Breakout style game using this mode, and DLI's to color the blocks. There have been a few games which made use of this mode too ... like Henry's House, and a couple of other Breakout games as well.

I would not recommend that anyone bother to download it, as it's only a magazine game and pretty horrible by today's standards, but here I did the ships in GTIA 9 with ANTIC 2 underneath.

Does anyone have the APX GTIA Demonstration diskette? I am sure I remember a 400/800 running a demo in a shop with a GTIA 9 digitised picture of Miss Piggy. I would really like to see it again but I can't find it anywhere. I have seen mention of the APX disk so I wonder if it's on there?

Edited by playsoft
  • Like 1

Noted. I personally prefer to have the horizontal movement present than not to have it, but the thing to do is to make it selectable.

Took another look at it and it's not the horizontal parallax scroll that is a problem for me.

It's couple of those animated background layers (one with squares moving to the right, and those wawy things also move in one direction).

Think it's because they change dynamic of left-right movement....

Those that are animated 'in place' are looking good - don't change them :)

Looks lovely that!

Harvey Kong Tin is a blast from the past, I used to have a mate in the 1980s who used to get games from someone of that name up in the Hull area of the UK. I assume it's the same Harvey. My mate used to disappear for a day during the school holidays and the next day he's have a ton of disks full of new games :)

Oh and I'm a long time lurker on here, I felt the need to post that though!

EDIT: Actually now I think about it the guy my mate when to see wasn't Harvey at all but some other guy who I think knew him. It was a long time ago :)

Edited by Ely

When I went to England in 92 during the Inter-Rail I get into Manchester that on that large square that that lately goes boom into Red Rat Software and I always remember that side named Fenell Street, number 11 or 14. I bought lots of games all over the places but I think none there. Why? Don't have any? I simple don't remember.

But what I remember is that was a post at the old Page6 magazine saying they at Red Rat Software will release a game from a guys called Harvey kon Tim and ...

That helicopter game, what's the name? The type of game was only possible in disk and later I get it by Mail at £14.95.

It was a really good game and from that notice at Page6 I am almost sure they was, or, at least one of them was Australian. Was it Harvey? Paul you seem to be English, right? Are you the man behind the code of Pogotron and others?

EDIT: Actually now I think about it the guy my mate when to see wasn't Harvey at all but some other guy who I think knew him. It was a long time ago :)

Harvey lives in New Zealand but he did visit the UK before I knew him. I think he was over here for about 10 months and he stayed in Hull!

Harvey lives in New Zealand but he did visit the UK before I knew him. I think he was over here for about 10 months and he stayed in Hull!

Ah that'll be it then, small world :) The only name I have for the guy on Hulll is "Staffy" or "Mr. Staff", beyond that I have no more info. No idea how my mate got in contact with him, we were like 14 or 15 at the time.

But what I remember is that was a post at the old Page6 magazine saying they at Red Rat Software will release a game from a guys called Harvey kon Tim and ...

That helicopter game, what's the name? The type of game was only possible in disk and later I get it by Mail at £14.95.

It was a really good game and from that notice at Page6 I am almost sure they was, or, at least one of them was Australian. Was it Harvey? Paul you seem to be English, right? Are you the man behind the code of Pogotron and others?

José,

That was Harvey Kong Tin and Andrew Bradfield, both from New Zealand. They developed two games together which were released by Red Rat Software, LaserHawk and HawkQuest, both helicopter games. If it was a multi-disk game you had then it was the fantastic Hawkquest. Sadly Andrew passed away too young, you can read about Andrew and the games here. Harvey has a lot of videos of the games on youtube, also some of Andrew's earlier programs which were recently uncovered.

I had a number of programs published in Page 6 and it was through the magazine that I got in contact with Harvey. Yes, slightly embarrassing now but Sprong was mine - written during a summer holiday instead of getting a holiday job. It was originally published by Bignose Software, then taken up by Red Rat. At some point I was asked to change the name to Pogotron as another company were going to market it but that was the last I ever heard about it. So if anyone has a copy they'd like to sell to me...

Paul

• Like 2

So if anyone has a copy they'd like to sell to me...

Paul

Well,

the NSA, as well as Google has all your data available for free... ;-)

Your A8 programs can be found on various webpages, e.g. at atarimania: http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=8&type=G&team=3519&step=25

-Andreas Koch.

Well,

the NSA, as well as Google has all your data available for free... ;-)

Your A8 programs can be found on various webpages, e.g. at atarimania: http://www.atarimani...am=3519&step=25

-Andreas Koch.

Thank you both. It was nice to see the Pogotron artwork, I will print that out and hope to pick up an original on ebay one day.

Looks lovely that!

Harvey Kong Tin is a blast from the past, I used to have a mate in the 1980s who used to get games from someone of that name up in the Hull area of the UK. I assume it's the same Harvey. My mate used to disappear for a day during the school holidays and the next day he's have a ton of disks full of new games :)

Oh and I'm a long time lurker on here, I felt the need to post that though!

It's easy to remember the main people I was in contact with, back in those very early days of Atari Home Computing - such as Harry Staff (who would have passed on by now, as he was not in good health back then...), and a Mark Williams? who I've never met. At that time I was only into copying and playing games and yet to start drawing graphics with the various graphics programs. It would be only a few years later that the prospect of designing graphics for a computer video game would present itself - and I did not think of becoming involved in that area, though I always admired the graphics in the videogames that stood out to me, such as Zaxxon, Galaga, Xevious etc etc.

I am hopeful that the final or near final version of GTIABlast! will contain some surprises present that will confirm what Atari enthusiasts always felt about their particular machines/computers - that they are very special indeed - and here is something that shows that off... finally... In the meantime - I have to be rather obscure as to what I am referring to, also because it is a work-in-progress - there are still discoveries and potential areas to be explored and used? Hopefully...

Harvey

• Like 1