IGNORED

HSC Season #4 - Game 5 Ice Trek

Game is to be played starting at player's choice for starting level (1-6).

Scores will be accepted until Sunday, July 28th at Noon Central

Current Scores for Game - Ice Trek * FINAL *

1. Cparsley - 33,780 ( + 10 )
  2. Ignorama - 33,610 ( + 9 )
  3. Oscar G. - 21,010 ( + 8 )
  4. felson42 - 13,600 ( + 6 )
  5. WispFollower - 11,220 ( + 4 )
  6. darthkur - 3,860 ( + 2 )
  7. INTVDude - 3,370 ( + 1 )
  8. Jblenkle - 1,170 ( + 1 )

HSC Leaderboard - Thru four (4) games

1. Ignorama - 39
  2. Oscar G. - 28
  3. cparsley - 27
  4. felson42 - 17
  5. WispFollower - 15
  6. INTVDude - 12
  7. mr_intv - 11
  8. JacobZu7 - 7
  9. jblenkle - 5
  10. Liduario - 4
  11. Roadrunnner - 4
  12. darthkur - 3

Edited by cparsley

In which stage you died?

Here some tips:

- DONT kill the reindeers in the first stage, trust me - its the best to stay as close as possible to the middle of the screen, so you have many opportunities to avoid the animals (keep in mind: You dont have to reach the right side of the screen, you just have to stay alive a certain time)

- protect your bridge in the second stage, its very important to wait for good chances, risky play will cost you everything

- its no problem to fall into the water if you are RED, if you are not red and you fall into the water you lose a life

- in the third level you have to melt the ice blocks on the left and the right of the opponents. If you dont remove these blocks the enemies are immortal. Of course you can kill the four enemies one after another

I beat the game two times for my score and dies at the 3rd castle, but I have a new score (something with 9k). I dont post it right now, because I have the feeling that there is much more possible.

Edited by Ignorama

Here I made a little graphic to show what I am talking about. Up there you can see the color difference. But dont worry, if you fall into the water you turn back into the red color after a short time. So just play with patience at this stage, no life should be wasted there.

Below you see the castle-stage. The arrows show the two iceblocks you have to melt before attacking the middle one. The hit detection requires pretty accurate hits, no graze shots. The spiders protect the blocks, you have to shot while there are no spikers (but of course you should shot at the spiders before they kill you). The green circle shows a rampart build of ice blocks, but its no problem to destroy this barrier.

My strategy: destroy the left or the right enemie, this calms down the gameplay and gives you space to avoid spiders.

post-35236-0-67618300-1374025064_thumb.png

Edited by Ignorama

10.050Seriously, its a real nice game. At the beginning it was annoying, especially the bridge-stage, but if you get used to it its really playable. I loved Dragonfire, but I would say Ice Trek is the best game so far this HSC.

post-35236-0-20739000-1374081884_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignorama

18.780 - If you reach the higher stages hurry up with the bridge. I completed the bridge, I was just inches from the entrance to the castle level and ... I died, because I was frostbitten :mad: Just one or two seconds earlier and I had reached the castle again... damn!

post-35236-0-69585300-1374091912_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignorama

The frostbitten problem is solvable. I played a while and recognized that you wont frostbite, if you fall in the water from time to time. Cparsley wrote me an PM and also gave me the advise that the timer gets reseted if you fall in the water realy enough. So a cool bath is the solution for the bridge, the rest is patience there.

And another advise: In the castle-stage you'll recognize that if you tap a direction on the disk you go on moving in this direction, also if you release the disk. Its annoying,especially because you have to hit little aims. Maybe most of you guys know this already, but you can stop if you tap the up or down on the disk. Its really helpful to use that. I guess I gave enough advises now, hopefully some more people join the party soon :)

By the way, my new score: 25.090

post-35236-0-63147200-1374211673_thumb.jpg

Yep, but the bridge is just a matter of time and patience. I lose most lifes at the castle, because I got catched on the left or right side by these black snowflakes. The flame is very high and you are defenseless of something comes from the side. But I am quite happy with my strategy now.

To tell the truth, I dont expected 25k for your first post, hopefully it wasnt your first attempt :P

Edited by Ignorama

NEW ATARI AGE LEADERBOARD RECORD!!!

28.790 - I beat the old record just by 300 points, but I am still happy with it. But cparsley could beat this again, so I'll definitely wont stop playing from now on, I hope to get over 30.000 points.

Unfortunately the points seem to depent a bit on luck. I played one complete run more then in my last highscore, but I just got 700 points more, normally a run is about 2.000 - 2.500.

post-35236-0-87461900-1374359746_thumb.jpg

To a point it is, the game within reason randomizes to a point how many caribou charge you on section 1, affecting the score... Also, depending on how nasty your section 2 is, the score can be affected there as well.

Section 3 (Castle) has no effect, as you only score when taking out a segment, and not for hitting the spiders (I've always called them that)...

BTW - A little trivia/trick you may/may not have known... you can actually take out ALL four turrets on section 3 and NOT have the castle melt.... In this case, the black spider/snowflakes come at you from above where the turrets would be, dead center of the castle. (top red section above the 2/3 white blocks)

Hello guys,

Sorry for being so out of touch, I have been extremely busy lately with academic matters. :-o

I finally gave the game a try. This is a tough game that requires lots of patience. Unfortunately, patience is not one of my strengths. :woozy:

By the way, thanks for the helpful hints. :thumbsup:

Well, here is my first score.

Oscar G. - 12,890 points

post-34781-0-76790400-1374531650_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oscar G.

Yeah, the river is annoying :lol: But I lose my lifes at the castle, its really hard, while the others stages are quite doable. By the way: How does the system with the extra lifes work? I recognized the cap of 6 lifes at maximum, but I dont really get when you earn lifes if you are below this cap. Maybe points?

• Like 1