IGNORED

HDX1 on the Nano-PEB...

Omega-TI

I'm curious, would it be physically possible (for those technically inclined & capable) to remove the chip on the Nano-PEB that contains the data instruction set for file/data storage, copy the code, add a 'few' additional lines of instructions and then reprogram a new chip?

With 1 gig of storage available on the CF card, it would be really cool if half of it could be dedicated as a 'virtual hard drive". One would never have to swap volumes again! If one had to lose DSK3 or even both DSK2. & DSK3.. to accommodate a virtual HDX1, I think people who chose to go this route could live with that.

I was reading awhile back where one guys database is reaching it's maximum limit, this could be the solution to his problem as well.

If a few lines of code were all that stand between the nanopeb and 1G disk access, I think Cory would have added that code in the first place. Full access to an SD card is not trivial, and the problem is the physical hardware of the nanopeb, not the DSR or other software. Nothing maps to the way flash devices store and erase data, so you always need a translation layer which is typically done with an embedded microcontroller (which the nanopeb does not have).

Don't let the cheap availability of devices today with flash memory access of some sort fool you into thinking it is easy. Also, at hobby quantities the hardware is not necessarily cheap either.

I'm curious, would it be physically possible (for those technically inclined & capable) to remove the chip on the Nano-PEB that contains the data instruction set for file/data storage, copy the code, add a 'few' additional lines of instructions and then reprogram a new chip?

With 1 gig of storage available on the CF card, it would be really cool if half of it could be dedicated as a 'virtual hard drive". One would never have to swap volumes again! If one had to lose DSK3 or even both DSK2. & DSK3.. to accommodate a virtual HDX1, I think people who chose to go this route could live with that.

I was reading awhile back where one guys database is reaching it's maximum limit, this could be the solution to his problem as well.

It sounds like what you are asking is to have one gigantic virtual floppy ? It's possible on a TI to at least to 3200 sectors that I have seen. But you still have the 127 files per disk limit so not really practical.

But if you are asking why the device does not have a normal hard disk structure then I will say that I have wondered that myself. Perhaps Jamie will recruit Mr. Kaal to write a nano DSR that will indeed do that. The IDE card with a CF attached is accessed as a hard drive thanks to Fred's DSR so I don't know why the CF7 or Nano-PEB could not achieve the same thing.

I would hope the DSR could be modified fairly easy to accommodate this. Up for a campaign ? ;-)....

If a few lines of code were all that stand between the nanopeb and 1G disk access, I think Cory would have added that code in the first place. Full access to an SD card is not trivial, and the problem is the physical hardware of the nanopeb, not the DSR or other software. Nothing maps to the way flash devices store and erase data, so you always need a translation layer which is typically done with an embedded microcontroller (which the nanopeb does not have).

Don't let the cheap availability of devices today with flash memory access of some sort fool you into thinking it is easy. Also, at hobby quantities the hardware is not necessarily cheap either.

Okay, that answered my question! Thanks!

Oh, BTW - Will one of your toys be available on or near the 27th of this month? ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Jamie has patched the software version of HDX1 to work on the new nanopeb2

malilonj via yahoogroups.com

Aug 9 (4 days ago)

I have posted this application at http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/.

Documentation is under the works. Also, I'm looking at TELCO for conversion.

Also cf2k is now supporting it as well:

Hi all,

An updated version of Cf2k v2.2 is available here:

http://home.vodafonethuis.nl/fgkaal/

Cf2k searches the DSR for a printer port.

If it find "PIO." it is a Cf7+

If it find "SIO." it is a nanoPEB

If it find "COM1." it is a nanaoPEB2

Could not test it myself (yet), but if a nanoPEB 2

owner will do this and post the results I would

appreciate it.

enjoy,

Fred ;-)

• 1 month later...

It sounds like what you are asking is to have one gigantic virtual floppy ? It's possible on a TI to at least to 3200 sectors that I have seen. But you still have the 127 files per disk limit so not really practical.

But if you are asking why the device does not have a normal hard disk structure then I will say that I have wondered that myself. Perhaps Jamie will recruit Mr. Kaal to write a nano DSR that will indeed do that. The IDE card with a CF attached is accessed as a hard drive thanks to Fred's DSR so I don't know why the CF7 or Nano-PEB could not achieve the same thing.

I would hope the DSR could be modified fairly easy to accommodate this. Up for a campaign ? ;-)....

Hmmm... I think the Myarc HFDC DSR would be best suited for the nanoPEB, as it could allow for both emulated floppy disks and hard drive images in the same DSR. Both the HFDC DSR and Fred's IDE DSR would require Jaime to incorporate RAM and larger EPROM space into the nanoPEB.

One thing to keep in mind is If the nanopeb only used a hard drive structure, it would rule out compatibility with a lot of software.

One thing to keep in mind is If the nanopeb only used a hard drive structure, it would rule out compatibility with a lot of software.

That might not be necessary if a little device could be made that went between the TI and Nano. It's only function would be to emulate a HD.

I know... it's more complicated to make than it sounds. It would require it's own DSR and code to interface the TI and the memory device.

I wonder how small a gadget like that could get though. Imagine, using a device the size of an F18A with a NanoSD card as the SSHD! The whole thing could easily be hidden inside the TI! I'm dreaming again, I doubt anyone is up to the task, has the time, or considers the market big enough to justify the effort or expense. Pity!

Edited by Kevan

Hmmm... I think the Myarc HFDC DSR would be best suited for the nanoPEB, as it could allow for both emulated floppy disks and hard drive images in the same DSR. Both the HFDC DSR and Fred's IDE DSR would require Jaime to incorporate RAM and larger EPROM space into the nanoPEB.

Emulated floppies, as in mounting a .DSK image? This is something I asked about before. I would like to be able to mount a .DSK as a floppy. I like the nano/CF's CALL MOUNT which mounts based upon volume number, but you cannot just have a bunch of .DSK files on the CF card, you have to use a special tool or TI99Dir to put them there.

Another wish list item would be to mount disks by volume name rather than number. When you have a CF card which can hold 4000 volumes, it can get a little unruly.