IGNORED

Which game idea is the most exciting?

Gemintronic

What is the most awesome idea?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most awesome game idea?

• A game using chromacolor 3D (different colors are seen farther/closer)
    • 4 player smash bros clone (using 4 paddles)
    • Metroid clone (side-scrolling and vertical scrolling)
    • 4 Player RPG (using 4 paddles)
    • Single screen block breaking/making puzzle game (Solomons Key)
    • Ultima/Final Fantasy clone
    • Rogue-like with heavy doses of Adventure
    • A pitfall type game somewhere between Pitfall 2 and Super Pitfall
    • A Turtles (Arcade) clone
    • Treasures of Tarmin clone

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well, I PM'ed Matthew to make sure I didn't offend him somehow. That post of his came off dismissive, rude and slightly angry. I guess he was just in a mood - which is unfortunate because this topic is all about feedback. If you don't explain such strong language then people might mistake your statement for a waste of air. Do that too many times and people start viewing all your posts like that.

From what some people have said about certain Rogue-likes, there could be things that suck about them. Instant death if I pick up an item with no warning? No thanks. I just want to play cool adventure games that use controlled randomness. It's also nice when a game has enemies that have some kind of intelligence or at least have the ability to 'see' you like the dragon ducks in Adventure.

• Like 2

What about taking the good aspects of a Rogue-like and putting into Adventure form - all the while using your principles of controlled randomness?

Could you stand wearing chromadepth glasses and being stuck watching a game with this color palette? It'd be 3D with glasses and hopefully tolerable for people without.

post-13304-0-99422100-1374234592_thumb.jpg

Matthew is a troll. Ignore it. I'm still not sure why that account hasn't been banned.

My vote goes towards a Solomon's Key-style game. Most games use the play field as window dressing or obstacles and I think the 2600 needs more games where you can interact with it. Plus, the one-button joystick should be easy enough to adapt versus a jump + shoot style game like Metroid.

• Like 2

I voted Ultima/Final Fantasy clone. As far as I know, there haven't been any of these types of games finished for the 2600. As a close runner up, I'd choose a roguelike, but Dungeon basically fills that role. A third choice would be a Treasures of Tarmin clone, but corridor wandering games as much better represented on the 2600 than either of my first two choices.

No saves? That makes it rough. I understand the general limitations, but passwords just kinda suck. Not bashing. Just pointing out the blaringly obvious. I don't think anyone would reasonably expect the 2600 to save, but it does limit the game's practical playability. Well, it does on real hardware anyway. On emulators you can just savestate as a workaround.

• Like 1

I voted Ultima/Final Fantasy clone. As far as I know, there haven't been any of these types of games finished for the 2600. As a close runner up, I'd choose a roguelike, but Dungeon basically fills that role. A third choice would be a Treasures of Tarmin clone, but corridor wandering games as much better represented on the 2600 than either of my first two choices.

No saves? That makes it rough. I understand the general limitations, but passwords just kinda suck. Not bashing. Just pointing out the blaringly obvious. I don't think anyone would reasonably expect the 2600 to save, but it does limit the game's practical playability. Well, it does on real hardware anyway. On emulators you can just savestate as a workaround.

Password screen & SaveKey is it :)

post-13304-0-25496200-1346956504_thumb.jpg

As nice as it would be to see another four-player game of any kind on the 2600, I went with a Turtles clone. Entex had the Turtles license back in the 80s, and they weren't as interested in porting it to the major consoles as they were in experimenting with their own systems (there was a VFD Turtles tabletop, a TV-game prototype, and an Adventure Vision cartridge), but Turtles is an under-appreciated maze game which would work well on the 2600.

I don't often play RPG-style games, and the 2600 doesn't seem especially well-suited for them, so those options don't do anything for me.

• Like 1

As nice as it would be to see another four-player game of any kind on the 2600, I went with a Turtles clone. Entex had the Turtles license back in the 80s, and they weren't as interested in porting it to the major consoles as they were in experimenting with their own systems (there was a VFD Turtles tabletop, a TV-game prototype, and an Adventure Vision cartridge), but Turtles is an under-appreciated maze game which would work well on the 2600.

I would like a Turtles clone (or better yet an 1:1 port if possible) for the 2600 too.

There's a port for the Emmerson Arcadia 2001 which is one of the best games for the system IMO:

There's also a quite similar 2600 game called Alien's Return so i'm sure the 2600 could handle a 1:1 port of Turtles.

• Like 1

What about taking the good aspects of a Rogue-like and putting into Adventure form - all the while using your principles of controlled randomness?

Could you stand wearing chromadepth glasses and being stuck watching a game with this color palette? It'd be 3D with glasses and hopefully tolerable for people without.

I always wanted to try those glasses, I've linked to them from my web site for years, but I probably would end up taking them off after about 5 minutes.

Matthew is a troll. Ignore it. I'm still not sure why that account hasn't been banned.

My guess is that he's a moderator in disguise.

• Like 1

Chromadepth is nice and would work well. If you make an undersea game especially since the blue works so well with it.. Add that to another vote, like a Pitfall hack for example, and it would be awesome.

Here's the thing. I want what works well on the 2600. A Metroid game will just make us sad.

I really want to see a hack of Pitfall or Dig Dug to see if we can push those just a little farther. I know many want new and different butt there are certain things the 2600 just does well and those two games exemplify it.

• Like 1

I always wanted to try those glasses, I've linked to them from my web site for years, but I probably would end up taking them off after about 5 minutes.

My guess is that he's a moderator in disguise.

In my experience Chroma Depth doesn't have any of the typical effects of other 3ds. The difference is in speed of color view rather than forcing the eyes to see different images.

I would like a Turtles clone (or better yet an 1:1 port if possible) for the 2600 too.

There's a port for the Emmerson Arcadia 2001 which is one of the best games for the system IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgyioUT3H2w

There's also a quite similar 2600 game called Alien's Return so i'm sure the 2600 could handle a 1:1 port of Turtles.

Watch this video with the Chroma glasses on. It's a perfect example of what the game can do.

On second thought, Chroma does give people headaches. Using that color pallet would be ok though as the game would look fine without the glasses as well.

Can you do an underwater Pitfall? What would that be like? Maybe have Harry in an old school diving suit with squid floating around instead of bats? Let him jump really high, have air bubble push him back?