Anyone else PET crazy?

pet commodore

32 replies to this topic

#26 simbalion OFFLINE  

simbalion

Dragonstomper

• 890 posts

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013 10:14 PM

I like the looks of the PET, but they never seemed popular around here. The first computer I touched in grade school was a Commodore 64 and after that it was all Apple II series and then Macs. Not to say there might not have been some PETs in the schools here, just not where I could see them.

#27 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,989 posts

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013 10:26 PM

same here, by the time computers hit my schools it was all apple II+'s and 64's ... my mothers workpace at the time still had some tandy model 3's around... but I never even saw a pet until the early 90's in a thift shop

computers just moved so darn fast in the mid 70's till the early 90's, roll the dice on which platform you were exposed to

here it was almost exclusive to apple's and 64's (a 128 would pop up now and then), other places it may have been tandy land, etc, just in the US ... get outside the states and it turns into a confetti storm

#28 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013 10:39 PM

From what I've gathered over the years, it was very regional, which makes sense, as entire districts would contract with one manufacturer or distributor for their needs. I know that many many schools in Minnesota (where I grew up) used Commodore computers. I didn't know this at the time of course, I just knew we had PETs first, then Commodore 64s later. There were always a couple Apple ][s around that mostly the teachers and librarians used, but the masses generally used the Commodores.

Then I've heard that in lots of other regions of the country, they only exclusively had Apple.

I'm happy I was able to get exposure to both when I was very young, though I never cared for the Apple II at the time. Partially due to the whole "rivalry" thing, which is funny in retrospect, but also simply due to familiarity.

Edited by Mirage, Fri Aug 2, 2013 10:40 PM.

#29 ianoid OFFLINE  

ianoid

River Patroller

• 2,987 posts

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40 AM

My first computer experience was with PETs at a computer learning place in San Diego near La Jolla Village Square. My folks got us a PET 2001 soon after. I was pretty happy when we upgraded to an Apple II eventually. In any case, I enjoyed the heck out of the PET. I remember playing a good deal of pirated tape software.

Great thread. Didn't know about PETVet and PETDisk. I wonder if they will work on my CBM, I forget which model I have. I'm betting they will. Would like to get the model we had (2001) with the built in tape, but as I understand the tape drives are an issue.

I am really enjoying my CFA-3000 for Apple II, and I know this PETDisk thing will be excellent too, letting me enjoy classic hardware without having to track down all the software. I hope it's easy to get a comprehensive library of compatible ROMs for it.

PET has always been one of my ambitions to get more into.

As far as the PETVet- do I only need it if my CBM is less than 32k? Or are there other advantages for the regular user?

Is there much reason to get a disk drive for these old hounds? I'm thinking it will be unnecessary with the PETVet.

Edited by ianoid, Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 AM.

#30 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:09 AM

Best to let the creator explain it ... from http://www.bitfixer.com/bf/petvet

"The PETvet is a RAM and ROM replacement board for the Commodore PET, and potentially other 6502 based microcomputers. The PETvet connects to the 6502 socket in your PET, and allows you to select your boot ROM via jumper settings. It also allows you to view the memory of a running PET using the replacement RAM by halting the CPU and sending the memory contents over a serial port."

I don't really see any reason to have a physical disk drive. I don't really use original disk drives for any machines anymore since I have CF/SD solutions for all the machines I use.

I was able to find a lot of disk images for the PET. There are several archives out there. I don't think it's anywhere near comprehensive, but rather a good representation.

#31 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 9,015 posts

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:59 AM

IIRC, the PETvet originated as a debugging tool for computers that would not boot up properly. By replacing CPU, ROM and RAM it could be proven that the rest of the computer was OK, and narrow down the troubleshooting. Thus the "vet" as in veterinary.

Besides the PETdisk there used to be a couple similar devices: the petSD with SD and Ethernet and the Flyer which has a fixed flash memory and Ethernet. Both however are out of stock at their respective web shops; Sinchai used to sell the petSD as a kit for 49 Euro ~= $65 + shipping.

#32 Fletch OFFLINE  

Fletch

Stargunner

• 1,066 posts

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 AM

I have a 4032, but the keyboard is in poor health. I've cleaned all of the contacts, but I need to press and hold nearly every key very hard to get it to register. I suppose some conductive paint may help, but I haven't had the time to mess with it lately.

#33 RobertB OFFLINE  

RobertB

Dragonstomper

• 773 posts

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:37 PM

IIRC, the PETvet originated as a debugging tool for computers that would not boot up properly.

Yes... and for those who don't need its debugging, you can use the PETvet to easily add BASIC 4.0 and 32K RAM for your PET.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pet, commodore

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users