If I'm not mistaken there's an Xbox version, I wasnt considering/didnt know of the arcade version, so that's FOUR ways to play. Thanks for helping my argument!

I stopped paying attention to game releases/new games long ago; I heard about Ikaruga from gaming shows & magazines. So if THEY knew of it & reported on it, others did too. If I heard about it back then, just about EVERYONE must have.

Edited by RJ

Not really. The Dreamcast edition was never released in America, the arcade cabinet didn't come here, and even the Gamecube version was under the radar and more difficult to find in the wild.

It also was widely pirated by many on the Dreamcast in the West and has seen a few digital releases in recent years such as on Xbox Live Arcade. I think it has gotten a bit too much attention to really qualify as hidden at this point in general. For modern vertical shooters, Ikaruga probably leads the pack by a wide margin in popularity and recognition.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

It also was widely pirated by many on the Dreamcast in the West and has seen a few digital releases in recent years such as on Xbox Live Arcade.

That's the Xbox version I meant (I knew it was on Live or something & not a physical release) but I pay virtually no attention to Xbox- never have, nor will- so that goes to show how "unhidden" it really is.

There'a even a "cheapie" WiiWare game employing the same color polarity mechanic Ikaruga is well-known for, but in this case the colors are red & blue. It's my opinion this was developed to satsfy Ikaruga cravings & directly influenced by its notariety & popularity.

Edited by RJ

Not finding info I need in 3+ yrs of RetroGamer back issues but Im finding tons of iOS mobile game reviews that look good!

I may have the Darkened Skye guy mixed up w/ the Crystal Castles guy Franz Lanziger. He said he was very proud of Gubble he made.

/OT

I don't own this game yet... but I did see a copy of it today while at a retro gaming store, but they wanted $25 bucks for it! That's more than I'm will to pay unfortunately.

I had pn3 for years.. I think it blows. Avg game at best..

Check out Bloody Roar Primal Fury for some two player button combo mashing ass kicking good time!!

RG #31 (prior to the Wii release 2006):

Dale DeSharone began programming Atari's early 8-bit computers, joined Spinnaker Software...later starting Boston Animation which produced Darkened Skye.

Released 2002, was fhe last game developed by BA..."I love Darkened Skye. It's difficult in the 1st levels. Thats probably a design mistake. But it's a funny game, with a 300-page script, varied locations, & beautiful art. If you play it...try to get the GC version" [due to the PC version skipping animations] ...overlooked in the UK, it can be bought cheaply &, Wii-compatible, is recommended.

Edited by RJ

Pac-Man Vs.? A novel concept for sure, but if you don't have two people around it's unplayable.

Why does a game have to have a 1 player mode to be considered a hidden gem? Pac-Man vs. is only available on the Gamecube using a GBA and was only released packaged with other games. Plus, it's a fantastic 2, 3, or 4 player game. IMO it IS the definition of a Gamecube hidden gem.

I understand Miyamoto created it, so it's got more of a "status," but two things. First most copies that are found are in the same package as Pac-Man World 2, which is not a gem. I bought that version, did not like PMW2, and secondly, had no way to play Pac-Man Vs. without a second person as I said. Not a gem to me, more like a dust collector. Come to think of it, I don't even have the GBA link cable.

Now I thought the DS game Namco Museum DS made far more sense, because it was completely portable, and you could play against other people even if they didn't own the game on their DS.

I understand Miyamoto created it, so it's got more of a "status," but two things. First most copies that are found are in the same package as Pac-Man World 2, which is not a gem. I bought that version, did not like PMW2, and secondly, had no way to play Pac-Man Vs. without a second person as I said. Not a gem to me, more like a dust collector. Come to think of it, I don't even have the GBA link cable.

Now I thought the DS game Namco Museum DS made far more sense, because it was completely portable, and you could play against other people even if they didn't own the game on their DS.

Hence, that is the reason why its a hidden gem. People like you have never played it... yet, when people actually give it a try and play it they realize that its really fun and a game that anyone with any level of video game experience can enjoy..