IGNORED

Star Castle Arcade - Beta Release

Thomas Jentzsch

• 4 months later...

Progress is still slow, unfortunately. And I can't do much. :(

No worries , Rome was not build in a day :)

But pizza can be delivered in 30 minutes or less.

Why do I get this mental image of chariots racing the streets of ancient Rome to deliver the fastest pizzas? LOL! :P

I understand somewhat but don't really understand the wait though. The version of Star Castle I downloaded to my Harmony in late 2013 was near perfect. Then again, I struggle to pass stage 1, and usually die early in stage 2. If there are errors in later stages, I wouldn't know... Same with Circus AtariAge and several others I've downloaded that seem to play perfect. But if the developers can flesh it out more and add tons of customization options and other tweaks, I'm all for it. We haven't had any new homebrews in the AA store since the fall 2013 update. Maybe Albert is gathering supplies???

Gotta lay off the booze. Good night yalls... :sleep:

• Like 2

We haven't forgotten about Star Castle Arcade! The wheels are turning, some of them a bit more slowly than others. The label is effectively done (just needs a minor change), and the manual is also close to completion (and utterly fantastic). Once the both of these are finished, I will have them printed, along with manuals and labels for some other new games. Another issue is the hardware being used for the game. There is a possibility of using a new board for the game as opposed to the Melody board. But the new board would not allow for your high scores to be saved, so we're discussing that at the moment. We could possibly offer the game in two flavors, one using the Melody board (and thus saving high scores) and another without. There would be a price difference between the two versions.

Also would like to get some boxes printed for the game, for at least a fixed number of copies (probably around 100). I do plan on making the game available with and without a box.

And finally, I'm working on having new 2600/7800 cartridge shells made. I should have the first prototype cartridge this week. :)

..Al

• Like 9

I must have a high-score saving cart, boxed!

Been here since the beginning when I creatively suggested (bitched) that

someone needs to throw a full 32K at this game when Mr. D. Scott Williamson's version was not for sale for less than $32,768!

I liked the chaser sparks as a single pixel, not a square, but the compromise is even better.

I think a score saving version would sell more than a non high score saving version.

Thanks Al for offering both options.

*We could possibly offer the game in two flavors, one using the Melody board (and thus saving high scores) and another without. There would be a price difference between the two versions.

*Also would like to get some boxes printed for the game, for at least a fixed number of copies (probably around 100). I do plan on making the game available with and without a box.

*And finally, I'm working on having new 2600/7800 cartridge shells made. I should have the first prototype cartridge this week. :)

..Al

*1 - Are the components for the old Melody boards getting harder to source now? I noticed there are stock problems. Also can I send in an old Melody enhanced game and have your reprogram it with new label for a discount? I've got a couple old hacks I don't really want anymore that I "upgraded" to Melody for no real reason back in the day when it was still an option in the AA store.

*2 - I know collectors like their boxes, but I'm primarily a gamer, and $50 is a much harder sell for me to buy homebrew than $25-$30. I take the carts out and unless it's something really special (like Princess Rescue) the box is just extra space on my limited game shelf, so I'm all for boxed/loose options in the store.

*3 - This needs to be done. Will they be Atari black, transparent like RetroUSB NES cases, or multiple color options? Also I hope they have an embossed AA logo on them. That would be cool. :thumbsup:

*1 - Are the components for the old Melody boards getting harder to source now? I noticed there are stock problems. Also can I send in an old Melody enhanced game and have your reprogram it with new label for a discount? I've got a couple old hacks I don't really want anymore that I "upgraded" to Melody for no real reason back in the day when it was still an option in the AA store.

No, the Melody board uses all new components, so that's not an issue. We've put in a new order for Melody boards with a slight change in design that should alleviate the stock problems once they arrive. And, yes, if you want to trade in an old Melody game I will give you a discount on a new game.

*3 - This needs to be done. Will they be Atari black, transparent like RetroUSB NES cases, or multiple color options? Also I hope they have an embossed AA logo on them. That would be cool. :thumbsup:

atariage_cart_back.png

..Al

• Like 4

Yes, these are just to test fitment (both of boards and in systems), plus I can see how the AtariAge text/logo looks on the back. There are two different styles of logos. It's tough to get pictures of them on a white cartridge! The plastic is stronger than I envisioned it would be for 3D printed cartridges.

..Al