IGNORED

Wow... GameStop Trade-In Values

Mendon

I haven't shopped at GameStop in years so I'm pretty unaware of what they have been doing regarding trade-in's and selling used items. But my son was over last night and showed me their web page for a special trade-in program they are currently running on systems.

The deal: double the usual trade-in value on any system. The values are listed on this page:

http://www.gamestop.com/trade-values

In looking over the list, I was amazed at what GS usually offers you for your old system without this sale. Examples: a $250 PS Vita usually gets you a $50 trade-in value... that's less than the price of one new PS3 or Xbox360 game! A $350 Wii U usually gives you a $110 trade-in value. An Xbox360 Slim or PS3 Slim usually gives you an $80 trade-in value. A $199 3DS XL nets you $60.

And these prices are if you take in-store credit; if you were looking for cash because you needed money, you'd receive even less.

I'm not posting this to rant about GS, but I'm simply amazed that anyone would accept these values for their systems. I cannot imagine paying $250 or $300 for a system and trading in at GS for $50 or $60.

Game stop sucks.. but That's really isn't that bad if that was cash.. PS3 (2006) and Xbox 360(2005) are getting older so having 1/4 of there value isn't that bad since the PS4 and Xbox 1 care coming out at the end of the year and it's instant. you could always get more by selling private but some people can't wait or have time to look for a buyer and having some one else selling it can be a good. Game stop also has to sell the item in order to make the money. The sad part of this is that this trade in special isn't what they usual give.

I like going to private owned game store's .

If you look at car values it's worst than that is when you buy a new $20'k car and you drive it for 8 year's your looking at a $2k trade in and that only 1/10th of the original price.

Turn this around a little. I don't understand what some people expect to get some mass produced product's. I was at my local game store and some one was trading in a couple of loose Genny cart's There was like 8 of them nothing rare or anything. The guy at the game store (Buyer) said I'll give 8 bucks for them. The seller started throwing a shit fit and left the store. Some people I think don't realize that you cannot expect full price from these store's since they do have to move the item in order to make any profit. Seriously you can't expect to make 100% back on a used item.

Most Game store's also sell most of there used item's at 1/2 the cost so you actual getting about 1/2 of the real value of the item's. Video game's really aren't worth that much at all. if you look at the generation's of people 1970-2013 you can tell most people buy the video game system that they grew up with. So someone who was born in 1990 will most likely buy a PS1 or PS2, will most likely pass on a Atari 2600.

Edited by skaredmask

I would feel less bad for GameStop if current games were 1/2 priced, used. Why some people pay $5 less than retail for a used game, I'll never understand...

Case in point!

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/injustice-gods-among-us/104577?gclid=CMDYws2u_bgCFZKi4AodeEgArQ&affid=9797&cid=ppc_60000004

Edited by Xot

I would feel less bad for GameStop if current games were 1/2 priced, used. Why some people pay $5 less than retail for a used game, I'll never understand...

Case in point!

http://www.gamestop....id=ppc_60000004

FYi, if you're a member, you get additional 10% off used games, which make it $10.50 cheaper then the new game ($54.99 - $5.49 = $49.50 compared to $59.99 for new)

Scamming Xenoblade on the Wii?

http://www.destructo...sy-259964.phtml

That doesn't surprise me. They were doing that with the Greatest Hits Xenogears games they got way back when. They got in a shipment of Greatest Hits copies, opened them up, slapped a used sticker on them, and sold them for $70 each. There were other second print games they got at the end of the PS1 era and got exclusively to only turn around and sell them for collector level prices.

Gamestop sucks. No one should EVER have bought Xenoblade Chronicles from them in the first place.

That doesn't surprise me. They were doing that with the Greatest Hits Xenogears games they got way back when. They got in a shipment of Greatest Hits copies, opened them up, slapped a used sticker on them, and sold them for $70 each. There were other second print games they got at the end of the PS1 era and got exclusively to only turn around and sell them for collector level prices.

Gamestop sucks. No one should EVER have bought Xenoblade Chronicles from them in the first place.

One thing I can't stand is when they hold an exclusive game and you can't get it anywhere else (other than online through Play Asia or something).

I hate seeing that but there's other ways to get games than through them.

Despite my low opinion of GS, I still shop there because there really just aren't many other options aside from online. We have a GameSwap chain, but they only deal in retro. Game Castle closed and 777 Computers was a total scam. The only stores left are GS and big stores like Walmart (where I will never set foot).

I must be lucky in that my local Gamestop is actually good. It's clean, the people are fairly knowledgeable, and they don't hassle you about pre-orders (well, not more than they have to by law anyway). When I went to go pick up Tales of Xillia the other week they gave me the Limited Edition version even though I didn't pre-order because they had a few left over. I thought that was a nice gesture. I go to that Gamestop because I hate going into big box department stores and I don't have to wait for an employee to unlock the protective case to get a game out (if you can even find one that is). Then again all Gamestops aren't created equal, there's one by where I work that I NEVER set foot in because it's small, dirty, and the people who work there are asses (if you aren't buying the latest sports game or FPS, they won't even look in your direction).

I go back and forth on GameStop, don't hate too much. We've got a localish chain around here that's better in nearly every way, but I still am ok with what GS does most of the time.

However, I semi recently made the grand mistake of buying the GS exclusive Battle Edition of Injustice: Gods Among Us for the 360, brand new for $150, $10 to ship, $160 total. And lo and behold, I never got into the game, was terrible at it & just didn't like it. The fight stick was excellent but I got sick of the art. I tried hocking it on Craigslist with no takers for as low as $75 recently.

So I thought, unlikely, but I'll see what Gamestop gives in store credit for this thing. Answer: nothing.

That's right, nothing. The manager didn't even look inside the box (so it isn't an issue of condition; honestly I'd only put a few hours into the game total anyways, it was in great shape). She tick-tacked around on her computer and politely said something about how they are taking in less and less gear, specifically Rock Band stuff, due to such a high defective rate. So no, they couldn't give anything in store credit for it. At all. They have the item new in the store still, for $130 currently.

And I noted they've got new copies of Bioshock: Infinite for $60. Used for $55. Game is brand new free ship from Amazon for $40. I went to my preferred game shop, got $70 in store credit for it, got a used copy of Bioshock: Infinite for $35 and still have the rest of the credit to use. So...many a thumbs down for GS.

• Like 1

I looked into the current "deal" going on, and those trade-in values seem to be a bit adjusted, in order to offset the whole double value trade-in bonus. A few months back, it seemed that they were offering considerably more for the systems you traded in. IMHO, they probably just lowered the base trade-in value, in order to promote this "limited time offer". In the end, I would guess that they are giving you about 20% to 30% more than usual for your trade.

Why would they give an added incentive to trade in your gear? Because they want to show an uptick in sales to their shareholders. In retail, it gets harder and harder to do this over time, without the injection of a "must have" product. Retailers of all kinds have tricks, just like this one, which help increase their sales numbers during these types of lulls. You see, a sale is a sale, regardless of it being cash or store credit. It shows up differently on the balance sheets but, in the end, it still shows up as #'s of units sold in a given quarter. Welcome to the corporate retail shell game folks!

PS: it also still shows tremendous profits, as they overcharge for almost all of their used games, and new releases are pretty much at the MSRP. No matter what, they win in the end!

Businesses with trade-in or buying from customers work because people are looking for quick solutions. Selling to Gamestop is much easier than selling on eBay.

You're not going to make a profit by flipping your old stuff to a retail store.

• Like 1

I bought it from them myself. When they were still selling it at the original sane price.

If I had to buy it at their current pricing, I'd just laugh in their face and go play something else.

If people don't buy it right now, eventually Gamestop will have to lower the price. Or they're stuck with product instead of the cash they want.

I finally tracked down a copy right before they jacked up the price so I only paid $60 (the copy looks mint, so I guess I only paid a $10 markup from when it was new). I would have bought it when it originally came out, but I had played the PAL version on my modded Wii back when it looked like it wasn't coming out in the US, and didn't want to pay full price for a game I had just beaten. I figured I'd wait until it came down in price a bit, but then it just plain disappeared.