Ebay TI-99/4A

3945 replies to this topic

#3051 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,443 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:25 PM

Huh!? Did someone say "backlit TI keyboard replacement"? Damn, what a concept! A new working keyboard that could pull power off the TI's intermal commector and have a decent ribbon cable too?

I wonder how many TI's could be put back into service?

Price seems like the biggest hurdle. I'd be comfortable around $50.00 but I have my doubts it could be done under $90.00 due to size, components and labor.

I have seen this done on other systems like the Atari and Amiga keyboards using a USB powered EL wire.  Since it's 5v it can easily be hooked up onto the existing TI power supply too...

something similar to this process.

HERE

#3052 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,925 posts

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 PM

https://m.ebay.ca/it...313?_mwBanner=1

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#3053 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,443 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 PM

https://m.ebay.ca/it...313?_mwBanner=1

These don't come up that often, it will be good to watch to see how much it goes for.

#3054 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,173 posts

Posted Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:34 AM

Wow...  Wish he had a "Buy it Now" at the starting price.  :)

#3055 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,173 posts

Posted Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 AM

Oh man... that thing is beautiful.  :)  That swan dude... that swan.....

#3056 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,778 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 PM

nanoPEB eBay Auction -- Item Number: 232638465595

#3057 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,401 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:52 PM

yes of course, let me make a guess:

(if right and this is Cheater2015, please be careful !!)

Attached File  Cheater2015-01.JPG   41.55KB   3 downloads

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

Attached File  Cheater2015-03.JPG   51.09KB   2 downloads

======================================================================

Attached File  Cheater2015-02.JPG   51.03KB   2 downloads

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Attached File  Cheater2015-04.JPG   35.86KB   2 downloads

#3058 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,778 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:57 PM

Cheese and aged rice.  Reminds me of "doommaster" from the Amiga realm. 

I honestly do not care about the lack of support, though no sure it needs to be stated like that.  But if this is the same guy I suppose one does have to wonder.  So, seriously, has anyone had a good experience with that guy?

#3059 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,401 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 PM

The "No Support" is just one more hint for identification of the seller.

I wrote my story in this thread here before, I think.

A pile of defective, roasted crap for a mass of dollars.

#3060 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,903 posts

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:25 PM

Occasionally, what someone gets from him is exactly as described. The problems arise when the item has obvious defects that only become obvious once the item is in the buyer's hands. Sometimes the defect doesn't affect operation--like the Navarone cartridge I got from him in a ROMOX case, where the issue was that the case would not remain closed because the tabs inside were broken off. This was an obvious defect that HE knew about, but which wasn't mentioned anywhere in the listing. He will generally identify an auction to be sold "as is," and in his case that really means don't buy this if you want a functional item--because it really is broken but I'm not going to tell you that. As to the new userID on eBay, that just tells me that we're in for a spate of more egregiously bad auctions which will result in a lot of negative eBay feedback on the original account (and a lot of people losing their cash in the process). The account will then be discarded and he'll ramp up sales on the new account, being very careful at first to ensure that he builds up a reasonable amount of positive feedback. He's done this several times before. It seems to be serial behavior dating all the way back to the year 2000 or so (which is as far as I've taken the time to trace him back to).

#3061 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,778 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:48 PM

If only to bugger him, those kinds of defects should be reported to eBay.  Whether the auction says "as-is" or not (notice "as-is" is not a legitimate eBay auction term, irrespective of what "The Balance" implies,) when you post an item marked with "no returns accepted" it is still covered under eBay's Buyer Protection which can be claimed against the seller.  Now, whether or not a complaint is upheld by eBay it still counts as a case against the buyer.

#3062 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,401 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:58 PM

And I am sure that he is here on AA, and I know the name.

But this account wasn´t online for 3 years now,

so I think he has more accounts here, too.

#3063 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,141 posts
  • TI'ers - Have you done 'Chatti" today?

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 PM

If he is suspected of multiple accounts Albert should be informed.

<< FORUM RULES >>

#3064 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,401 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 PM

But I only know one (IF there are more)

#3065 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,297 posts

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 PM

A rich guy that knows nothing runs into a poor guy that thinks he knows everything. Stop me if you have heard this one.

#3066 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,778 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 PM

A rich guy that knows nothing runs into a poor guy that thinks he knows everything. Stop me if you have heard this one.

"Jack and the Beanstalk"? :)

#3067 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,297 posts

Posted Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:15 PM

Yes.

Stop being a child schmidt and stop taking advice from the NW know nothing. You will be better off. Or keep on keeping on and we will replay this time after time.

Edited by marc.hull, Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 PM.

#3068 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,023 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 AM

getting back on track, this looks like a pretty reasonably priced RS232 Corcomp card- $44.95 US.   I've done a lot of business with pfleeman and have always had a good experience.

https://www.ebay.com...-AAAOSwPpZaLZlR

#3069 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,141 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 AM

Checked eBay this morning... saw some listings for the older FlashROM, but only a case for the current FinalGROM.  I expected the opposite, but then I wondered if the surface mount design of the FG99 is limiting third party construction.  I also wonder if that one seller is just clearing out old stock.

Oh how the mind wanders before that first cup of coffee. 

Attached Files

#3070 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 AM

I dunno man. I'm finding it hard to give up my FR99 even tho' I don't use it anymore. Maybe because I built it myself from a kit. But I kind of feel the same way about my carts. I'll never need XB or EA or some others again, but why oh why can't I just give them up (sell or give away) - I've thought about eBay, put it up for flat rate shipping and let anyone who wants it bid it up, thought about donating to FestWest for a prize. But my hands, they are not cold and dead so I can't seem to pry it free. Wondering if I should see a doctor about that. Perhaps I'll just frame it and hang it on my wall. 

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 AM.

#3071 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,141 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 AM

I dunno man. I'm finding it hard to give up my FR99 even tho' I don't use it anymore... 

...But my hands, they are not cold and dead so I can't seem to pry it free. 

ROTF!  :rolling:

I love it!

#3072 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,023 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 AM

I dunno man. I'm finding it hard to give up my FR99 even tho' I don't use it anymore. Maybe because I built it myself from a kit. But I kind of feel the same way about my carts. I'll never need XB or EA or some others again, but why oh why can't I just give them up (sell or give away) - I've thought about eBay, put it up for flat rate shipping and let anyone who wants it bid it up, thought about donating to FestWest for a prize. But my hands, they are not cold and dead so I can't seem to pry it free. Wondering if I should see a doctor about that. Perhaps I'll just frame it and hang it on my wall. 

Oh I totally get you with that.  I have EB with the book, EA with the binder, MM with the supplemental stuff and book and even tho I may only use it a few hours a month and I have a FG99, i just cant bring myself to get rid of them.

I guess I can take it with me! ;)

#3073 brain OFFLINE  

brain

Moonsweeper

• 262 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 PM

Checked eBay this morning... saw some listings for the older FlashROM, but only a case for the current FinalGROM.  I expected the opposite, but then I wondered if the surface mount design of the FG99 is limiting third party construction.  I also wonder if that one seller is just clearing out old stock.

Oh how the mind wanders before that first cup of coffee. 

So, this brings up a question:

If folks are building Ralph's designs and putting them on eBay, how is Ralph being monetarily compensated to continue designing and supporting?

If the sellers are making sure Ralph gets some of the cash, great.  But, if not, I think it's important for folks here to note that.  If folks don't make sure Ralph sees some cash, he'll give up supporting the community just so that other people can make money on his designs.

Jim

#3074 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,925 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 PM

If folks are building Ralph's designs and putting them on eBay, how is Ralph being monetarily compensated to continue designing and supporting?

If the sellers are making sure Ralph gets some of the cash, great.  But, if not, I think it's important for folks here to note that.  If folks don't make sure Ralph sees some cash, he'll give up supporting the community just so that other people can make money on his designs.

Jim

He released his designs to be produced by anyone. I personally have his permission to reproduce them as well as he advertises that I make the flashrpm99's the demand for those are pretty much gone. And any finalgrom99 I buy from him directly and resell.

Greg

#3075 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,778 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:00 PM

Jim

Is that not how "Open Source" works?  One person puts in the time and effort, opens up the designs, and other people then produce and maybe make profit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ebay, TI-99/4A

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users