IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

I've heard so many negative things when it comes to selling on eBay that'll never attempt it. Problem is I have extras I want to get rid of and no outlet for it!

i'm probably stating obvious, but have you had much luck over at the AA Marketplace? I see stuff going in and out of there all the time.

• Like 1

i'm probably stating obvious, but have you had much luck over at the AA Marketplace? I see stuff going in and out of there all the time.

I have done this several times with good results. Mind you, some of the more esoteric stuff does not go at all (anyone want some 256k SIPs?) Nor have my UW-SCSI-to-SATA bridges which have done well on eBay.

I've heard so many negative things when it comes to selling on eBay that'll never attempt it. Problem is I have extras I want to get rid of and no outlet for it! Of course it's no help that I'm not interested in boxing up stuff to ship. A a face-to-face where the buyer actually gets to look it over before buying it, makes me feel more comfortable about selling.

There are services which will do this for you, maybe even someone local. For the face-to-face bit you might be facing a thrift shop or flea market, or Craigslist. Dunno, really. I am not people-friendly so I rather deal through eBay ;)

(I am also food-aggressive.)

Yes, this is the reason why I NEVER took part in any rebate- discount- or what-else-program in my whole live.

Not one time at all. Not at the point of sale at the supermarket, nor at any i.e. HP/Cisco/xyz-Partner-"Sell-more"-

"Sale-Your-Soul"--or-whatever-program (Sorry that I dont have the matching imposing english words here) :)

I would hate it running like a Lemming, satisfying manufactures programs,

giving end-customers data to them, and and and, to get nothing but problems.

With doing so, the consumer (and reseller) never wins.

Same for these ´forecasts on future sellings´, do I have a glass sphere ? Do I look like a I a fortune teller ? :)

Same shyt like brain amputated people giving/entering all their data and pictures in a mass, to portals like FB and Twitter,

just restless doing and following what the "big ones" want.

Concerns do not concern.

• Like 1

I've bought a some Atari 5200 and Magnavox 02 items there, but never sold anything. I'm just not motivated to box things up or sell things that cannot be inspected by the buyer first... probably because I don't want to deal with a returned item.

I might take a couple of photos of extra stuff and post if before Fest West, if someone one is interested, maybe I can show it to them in the parking lot as sales will not be allowed in the library. Anyone need a P-Box? ;)

• Like 1

I find myself now in a position to take back some of the things I took back about eBay.

During the past month I have spoken with three different eBay representatives. Each on of them indicated to me, one of them I explicitly and specifically asked to make the statement, eBay's "Fast 'n Free" program is free shipping for both buyer and seller.

The first auction which qualified for "Fast 'n Free" I was charged shipping. This was the impetus of my first call to eBay. I explained this in a post above, I was told I was charged as this was my first transaction under the program and after completion and receiving feedback on the item I would be inducted officially into the program and credited for the shipping charge. Which I was.

I made two more sales under "Fast 'n Free" and was, again, charged shipping. I decided this was due to the transactions not being completed so I waited. The items were received and I still received no credit so I called again.

It may or may not be noteworthy at this point, but the first three representatives with whom I spoke with US-based. This call sent me to a off-shore calling center to eBay and I was told in no uncertain terms that the seller is absolutely responsible for paying the shipping. Obviously when an item sells for $10, PayPal takes its 2.9% transaction fee, then you pay $6.56 for shipping, then at the end of the month eBay takes its 10% final value fee, that $10 item comes out to little more than a pittance plus change.

I was sent the "Fast 'n Free" web page from eBay's help page, which I had been sent before, told here I would find that I am responsible. To be perfectly fair it says nothing of the sort, one way or the other. Being that I had been told by three representatives prior and had no information to the contrary I continued to argue my case and was eventually transferred to a supervisor -- not without being told "I will transfer you to my manager and she will tell you that you have to pay for shipping." (Note to call centers, train your callers not to de facto close the case before transferring this: very few things piss off a customer more than being told what you will be told before you are told.)

Of course, the supervisor told me the same, that as a seller under the "Fast 'n Free" program I am absolutely responsible for shipping. I now stand at 3 to 2 on information in my favor, but I understand I will not get any further with my cause. I am furious at this point as I have, to the best of my knowledge and with the full blessing of prior eBay representatives, worked the program as expected but did not receive what I expected.

Another poor tactic of these call centers is arguing in the alternative or hypothetical. Not what I need or want, I want absolute policy and no one seems to be able to provide this. Since she if offering nothing more than an argument and proving how ridiculous my expectations are I make my closing demand: credit me my shipping for my items, I was concurrently removing free shipping from my remaining qualified items, and I will never use "Fast 'n Free" again. It should not be marketed to small sellers like myself, in particular with such ambiguous terms. Whether dubious in position or not, I made the demand under thread of filing a small claims suit to obtain my $13.01 in shipping on the two items. (Yes, while it sounds ridiculous to file suit considering the cost would be far more than the recovery, the point is a matter of principle and I can also demand court costs.)

What a ridiculous ride I just took.

In all honesty why would a company offer to pay the freight when it would cost much more on average than they would stand to collect ?

In all honesty why would a company offer to pay the freight when it would cost much more on average than they would stand to collect ?

Fair question, which is why I inquired THREE times. It sounded too good to be true, and we know how the generally works out.

Fair question, which is why I inquired THREE times. It sounded too good to be true, and we know how the generally works out.

I’m about done with eBay to begin with. Their customer service is horrible. They ban users for no reason; their fraud software is really flaky. They can’t even tell a person when they suspend them why. Because why? Because you can warm other people how they identify “fraudulent” users. If you don’t exist in Lexis Nexis or other public records service, they think you’re fraudulent.

Anyway, my .02 rant. Seeing how they treat long time people like that is why I haven’t sold on there for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, so speaking of banning and crap. I recently had two auctions removed.

One was a legit problem: I was selling a stun-gun shaped like a cell phone, which was a blatant violation of eBay rules of which I was not aware. Oh, well.

The second one was far, far more innocuous. I am selling eight 8-pin DINs. But these are NOT the 262-degree DINs needed for the Commodore video port and explicitly stated so in the auction. I received a notification to re-list them and thought, WTFO? That was then followed by a notice that my auction was cancelled. The reason: "search manipulation" and "brand abuse." During the call I explained that it was critically important to make that distinction because of the potential for people to buy them thinking they will work with the Commodore then give me hell when they do not, causing problems all around. I worked with her and a supervisor to word the auction so it would not get ejected and still get the point across.

Honestly, this time around I see eBay's point. It sucks eBay has to have such a horrible policy in place because of ass-hats who actually DO abuse brands and manipulate searches. I did confirm that both auction take-downs do not negatively reflect in my eBay profile.

I just found a small treasure trove of Commodore stuff in my storage room, and with some more stuff I am arranging to pick up soon I will have enough working parts to put together a good half-dozen systems. I can state with certainty that before I put them on eBay I will be posting them in the AA Marketplace. I suspect (and hope) I will not have any left for eBay.

• Like 1

My wife asks me "What would you even use this for?"- which I have to admit I don't have a ready answer.

Here's a RTTY interface for sale- boy does that bring back memories!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MFJ-1224-RTTY-ASCII-CW-COMMODORE-VIC-20-APPLE-ATARI-TRS-80-TI-99-4A/173113475971?hash=item284e5e0383:g:zU0AAOSwYxBaO~Z1

I have 4 of those TNCs sitting on the shelf... You never know when you'll need them. ;)

Well, this was spendy... $405.00 - but I am excited to see how well it works with TI-BASE. Right now, I am using a DDCC-1 in my primary TI w PEB. It's been rock solid talking to two Lotharek floppy emulators and a 5.25 external drive. My issue with TI-BASE stems from it's buggy nature talking to hard disks or HDX. I am currently using it with a WDS SCSI controller and Syquest hard disk. It works... but it's wonky. The only devices I have had any luck with are Horizon RAM cards and floppy controllers. Sadly, after 35 years of production use my data is has grown beyond the capacity of a 2880 sector diskette.

Hoping the HFDC works with TI-BASE, if it doesn't then look for it on eBay again or I'm happy to sell it to a community member for what I paid for it.

S l1600

Edited by aftyde
  • Like 3