IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

I did. There are pieces of the case inside the inner envelope and more pieces rattling around inside. He answered me and was surprised since he "didn’t realize the thing was so fragile inside. It was double wrapped." :roll:

At this point it is a gamble for $250, and if it requires repair I am out that, as well. I really wanted this card.

It was in a Myarc case, right? With some luck it is just the plastic standoffs that were damaged. The 4 slots/clips that hold the two pieces of the case together near the edge connector get very brittle with age depending on the plastic, so those probably took a hit. same with the venting edges (if present) and the top card area. I'd be surprised if the card itself was damaged beyond the edge connector - and you can inspect that without taking the case apart. If you haven't taken a Myarc case apart before, you can do so with your bare hands if you apply the right pressure on the clips; otherwise, the safer method us to gently apply some pressure in each slot as you pull the clamshell part. Be very careful not to apply too much pressure - those clips will break easily. Articulating how to open the Myarc cases without a picture is challenging - maybe someone has a good pic to share.

• Like 1

I did. There are pieces of the case inside the inner envelope and more pieces rattling around inside. He answered me and was surprised since he "didn’t realize the thing was so fragile inside. It was double wrapped." :roll:

At this point it is a gamble for $250, and if it requires repair I am out that, as well. I really wanted this card.

Suggest to the seller that he use your $250 to buy a nice flat panel display or a new phone BUT have it sent in a bubble mailer, instead of a cardboard box.

• Like 1

Suggest to the seller that he use your $250 to buy a nice flat panel display or a new phone BUT have it sent in a bubble mailer, instead of a cardboard box.

He has agreed to take it back if I open it up and find the board is damaged or does not work. That is a Good ThingTM.

• Like 4

It was in a Myarc case, right? With some luck it is just the plastic standoffs that were damaged. The 4 slots/clips that hold the two pieces of the case together near the edge connector get very brittle with age depending on the plastic, so those probably took a hit. same with the venting edges (if present) and the top card area. I'd be surprised if the card itself was damaged beyond the edge connector - and you can inspect that without taking the case apart. If you haven't taken a Myarc case apart before, you can do so with your bare hands if you apply the right pressure on the clips; otherwise, the safer method us to gently apply some pressure in each slot as you pull the clamshell part. Be very careful not to apply too much pressure - those clips will break easily. Articulating how to open the Myarc cases without a picture is challenging - maybe someone has a good pic to share.

You are right. The two stand-offs at the top of the case are broken, as well as several clips. I get now what you mean about the clips to open the case. I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

The board looks to be in perfect condition and I will try it out tonight. It has F.03E ROM. I will replace that with an 80-track ROM soon enough.

• Like 2

Not exactly Ebay but I have an A-B-C data switch box (parallel) that allows for connecting a computer to as many as three printers via parallel cable. One port is designated as "Input - Output" so I assume that it is bi-directional which means you could also connect three computers to a single printer as well. If interested, send me a PM and we can negotiate a price.

This kind of peeves me off a bit. Definitely not what I had in mind when initially designing these boards. Probably glad it hasn’t happened already, but still. Gazoo would likely be upset as well.

This is the same guy who tried to sell me homemade cassettes as “new old stock” a while back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-MULTI-GAME-512k-CARTRIDGES-TONS-of-GAMES-TI-99-4A-Texas-Instruments-TI99/153137024495

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah, that guys has one bad reputation. He's ripped off Schmitzi in the past and I seem to remember other horror stories about this guy.

I detest people who have repeatedly shown a history of preying on unsuspecting people. Hopefully everyone here knows about him.

If it were up to me, I'd include his name and any other bad players in the "New to the group?" thread.

• Like 1

I find it funny that he lists the cartridges as "no longer made," when in fact, I still provide them to anyone requesting that I make one. . .and I'm the one that sold him both the cartridge boards and the EPROMs he used to build the cartridges he is selling. He didn't put them together either, as I believe he had one of the other members here do that task for him.

• Like 1

If it were up to me, I'd include his name and any other bad players in the "New to the group?" thread.

I endorse this idea. As well, there is a "bad trader" thread in the Marketplace.

At the risk of angering the gods, I have long been sick of people abusing various classic/retro communities and taking advantage of newbs and others who know no better. I mean, yeah, milk the hipsters, but leave the genuine people alone ;) This was part of the impetus for AmiBay: the ridiculous prices people were selling for, the illegitimate (pirated, etc.) or damaged goods, flat out lies, and of course dealing with eBay and PayPal.

There are still people who will pick up stuff cheap under the guise of being new users or returning users, taking advantage of the community generosity, then turn around and sell the stuff.

EDIT: Mind you, in order not to run afoul of libel the information would need to be limited to actual instances and no conjecture or supposition. In the thread noted above people report their real first-hand experiences so there is little doubt.

• Like 3

This kind of peeves me off a bit. Definitely not what I had in mind when initially designing these boards. Probably glad it hasn’t happened already, but still. Gazoo would likely be upset as well.

This is the same guy who tried to sell me homemade cassettes as “new old stock” a while back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-MULTI-GAME-512k-CARTRIDGES-TONS-of-GAMES-TI-99-4A-Texas-Instruments-TI99/153137024495

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ick.

Who wants to put identical cartridges up on eBay at reasonable prices?

Arcadeshopper is selling carts for $35-$42. He is selling them for $50. It doesn't seem like a big difference.

That gives a little perspective. Assume he buys from Greg and pays $40 each plus shipping, say $8 for priority up to four, guessing $13 for all six. That gives a cost of $53 selling for $59 plus shipping. eBay takes 10% off the top which means $53.10 sale price, and that is before PayPal's cut. The collection of six for $299 actually renders less.

This case may, then, deserve benefit of the doubt irrespective of his "checkered" past.

• Like 1

Actually, these carts were sold for prices between $30 and $35 each when they came out. I sold quite a few of them direct at the $30 price--and that included shipping. This seller bought the parts directly from me: $18 each for the assembled boards and $6 each for the programmed chips--and those were postpaid prices. Add $3 to $5 for the cartridge cases he used and his total cost was still under $30 each, in line with the cost I sell assembled custom 128K and 512K cartridges for. They are slightly more on the Arcadeshopper site ($35), as he buys them from me and sells them at a reasonable markup to cover his time and website costs. Selling them at a $20-$30 markup is a bit excessive, even when eBay fees are calculated into the price. . .

• Like 1

well, i purchased all them for $30/35 in 2015, plus shipment + customs (because i am living in Italy)

of course after FinalGrom 99 was born i thought that maybe reselling them was a good idea but because i had already guessed that was impossible to receive back at least my money i had spent (about $50 each), i preferred to keep them with me :P

better is invest money in a FinalGrom99 and not in them bynow.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

I loathe the idea of being perceived as defending this guy, THIS GUY in particular. Being $10 over Greg is not a big deal, in particular if we want to accept a free market. Even if he bought them low and held onto them until prices went up. I feel torn given his known history, especially with the intent of the community and those who put so hard into it.

I stand firm on my disdain for people who profiteer off legitimate users, but just like people whose opinions do not align with my own I have to support their doings due to my support of the fundamental system. As well, that fundamental system means that any of us could under-cut him if we desired and future source sales to him can be refused.

In any case, I withdraw my cock from this particular fight. In regard to the 80-track TI FDC, I have a difficult time imagining a lot of people will buy at that price considering competitive and superior cards can be had for around the same price or less if people are patient -- the Myarc I just picked up, for instance.

• Like 2

well, i purchased all them for $30/35 in 2015, plus shipment + customs (because i am living in Italy)

of course after FinalGrom 99 was born i thought that maybe reselling them was a good idea but because i had already guessed that was impossible to receive back at least my money i had spent (about $50 each), i preferred to keep them with me :P

better is invest money in a FinalGrom99 and not in them bynow.

Pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1