IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

I really love the fact that folks are still developing new items for such a classic computer, and I'm sure that there some users that need/want the advantages offered by the TIPI, but the though of it always reminds me of the old Triton Turbo XT, where you were strapping a more powerful device to the classic TI-99/4a. It never seemed to make sense to me then, and still doesn't now. If I wanted an XT, I bought an XT, but could still keep my 99/4a for the reasons I love it. With TIPI, I know you gain access to networking, internet, other devices and storage, etc., but for my uses none of that is necessary. Now the NanoPEB and CF7+ do make sense to me... both from the perspective of saving the cost of a full blown PE box, as well as saving the space required for the PE box (though the PE box does look so very cool!).

• Like 4

I really love the fact that folks are still developing new items for such a classic computer, and I'm sure that there some users that need/want the advantages offered by the TIPI, but the though of it always reminds me of the old Triton Turbo XT, where you were strapping a more powerful device to the classic TI-99/4a. It never seemed to make sense to me then, and still doesn't now. If I wanted an XT, I bought an XT, but could still keep my 99/4a for the reasons I love it. With TIPI, I know you gain access to networking, internet, other devices and storage, etc., but for my uses none of that is necessary. Now the NanoPEB and CF7+ do make sense to me... both from the perspective of saving the cost of a full blown PE box, as well as saving the space required for the PE box (though the PE box does look so very cool!).

BUZZ

the triton turbo xt just was a keyboard interface for your TI to use it's keyboard as your new XT computer's keyboard.. oh and a video switcher..so essentially a KVM device.. it was a gateway drug away from the TI to the PEECEE

TIPI leverages modern storage and ip stack for the TI to keep being used into the future. It makes it SUPER easy to transfer programs to the TI from the rest of the world, just drag and drop a DSK image into a file share and it's accessble on the TI. or upload via web page, or even load it directly from the TI! OLD PI.HTTP://MYTI99.COM/RPS loads a game in TI BASIC from the internets.. It requires zero linux or PI experience as it is completely managed from the 4/a, it's open for those that want to tinker, but totally is not necessary for the average user to use it..

Hey the nano is great if you just want 32k and floppy emulation.. but they are not both oranges

I haven't used my nano once since i hooked up the TIPI.. why would I want to have to use HDX or remove the flash card just to try out a new game from here? when I can just drop it on the TIPI and its loadable.

• Like 1

BUZZ

the triton turbo xt just was a keyboard interface for your TI to use it's keyboard as your new XT computer's keyboard.. oh and a video switcher..so essentially a KVM device.. it was a gateway drug away from the TI to the PEECEE

TIPI leverages modern storage and ip stack for the TI to keep being used into the future. It makes it SUPER easy to transfer programs to the TI from the rest of the world, just drag and drop a DSK image into a file share and it's accessble on the TI. or upload via web page, or even load it directly from the TI! OLD PI.HTTP://MYTI99.COM/RPS loads a game in TI BASIC from the internets.. It requires zero linux or PI experience as it is completely managed from the 4/a, it's open for those that want to tinker, but totally is not necessary for the average user to use it..

Hey the nano is great if you just want 32k and floppy emulation.. but they are not both oranges

I haven't used my nano once since i hooked up the TIPI.. why would I want to have to use HDX or remove the flash card just to try out a new game from here? when I can just drop it on the TIPI and its loadable.

ArcadeShopper, I wasn't aware the TIPI made it that easy to set up shares... that does sound appealing. Still likely overkill for my needs, but cool nonetheless. And I'm sure that more can and will be done with it going forward.

ArcadeShopper, I wasn't aware the TIPI made it that easy to set up shares... that does sound appealing. Still likely overkill for my needs, but cool nonetheless. And I'm sure that more can and will be done with it going forward.

YouTube search for ti994a TIPI

Lots of demonstrations.

I will keep posting this information .. :)

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The TIPI obviously does a lot more and is the more desirable device for some, but for others it might be overkill for their purposes. In my view it's still an excellent option to have.

You have a valid point. If you are mainly a gamer and only want to store a few things, the Nano (when working) is an okay solution if you do not plan on ever expanding. If you want to do more, or think you will ever want to do more, the TIPI route definitely gives one more options. So starting with the 32K expansion is a good start for many.

One of the biggest advantages of the TPI (to me) is the WiFi capability for calling the BBS's and transferring programs to and from a PC. With the TIPI you don't need to buy and mess with cables, pinouts, soldering, gender adapters, or even buy a UDS-10. Simply answer two question in the TIPI setup and you are good to

go.

For P-Box owners that version of the TIPI is great too, it essentially gives one gigabytes of storage space, in the form of a SSHD in addition to the communications capability and the mouse support and who knows what else in the future.

So yeah, the Nano is like a VW bug, in that it'll get you there, but the TIPI is more like a Maserati in features and sheer horsepower. (IMHO)

• Like 4

You have a valid point. If you are mainly a gamer and only want to store a few things, the Nano (when working) is an okay solution if you do not plan on ever expanding. If you want to do more, or think you will ever want to do more, the TIPI route definitely gives one more options. So starting with the 32K expansion is a good start for many.

One of the biggest advantages of the TPI (to me) is the WiFi capability for calling the BBS's and transferring programs to and from a PC. With the TIPI you don't need to buy and mess with cables, pinouts, soldering, gender adapters, or even buy a UDS-10. Simply answer two question in the TIPI setup and you are good to

go.

For P-Box owners that version of the TIPI is great too, it essentially gives one gigabytes of storage space, in the form of a SSHD in addition to the communications capability and the mouse support and who knows what else in the future.

So yeah, the Nano is like a VW bug, in that it'll get you there, but a the TIPI is more like a Maserati in features and sheer horsepower. (IMHO)

To make it 100% clear there is no difference between the sidecar and PEB versions. Other than how they connect to the TI. They are operationally identical. The PEB version just has other memory options as there is SAMS for the PEB vs only 32k (so far) for the side port.

Greg

• Like 1

I really love the fact that folks are still developing new items for such a classic computer, and I'm sure that there some users that need/want the advantages offered by the TIPI, but the though of it always reminds me of the old Triton Turbo XT, where you were strapping a more powerful device to the classic TI-99/4a.

I can see how you could see it that way. One of the main things (to me) is the awesome storage space it affords. The costs involved in finding and obtaining a Myarc HFDC, if I could actually get one, and with all the associated hardware to use it could not be justified in my book. Now a TIPI and a $35.00 Raspberry Pi gives me all the HFDC could ever offer and more.

To make it 100% clear there is no difference between the sidecar and PEB versions. Other than how they connect to the TI. They are operationally identical. The PEB version just has other memory options as there is SAMS for the PEB vs only 32k (so far) for the sideb port.

True. Functionally the TIPI is no different from sidecar or P-Box versions. I was mainly trying to get the point across that either version affords more flexibility for expansion whatever your setup, sidecar or P-Box. From another aspect, this gives the TIPI a greater position in the market for more potential users and standardization for future software development.

Oh yes, the serial problem is another one...

Not sure about, but I think I gave up after 1 full week of testing.

(while 2 of them came back "repaired & tested")

This here, testing all cables and adapters (not to get mad),

was one of the time eating things it forced me to do

https://www.facebook.com/326551627536797/photos/?tab=album&album_id=353892781469348

• Like 1

Oh yes, the serial problem is another one...

Not sure about, but I think I gave up after 1 full week of testing.

(while 2 of them came back "repaired & tested")

This here, testing all cables and adapters (not to get mad),

was one of the time eating things it forced me to do

https://www.facebook.com/326551627536797/photos/?tab=album&album_id=353892781469348

gallery_35324_1027_15673.jpg

Oh jeez, loads of fun... NOT!

I'm happy as heck with the TIPI, I was able to remove the "rat's nest" which comprised, two RS-232 cards, a Y-adapter, two cables, a serial to USB adapter, a UDS-10, a power adapter and a Vonets WiFi adapter.

Now there is just one little 5v adapter supplying power to the RPi 3 inside the P-Box. Now it's all done without wires over WiFi. Thank you, thank you, thank you Matt & Corey!

• Like 1

hello, very new 1's and 0's to this conversation / arena, proud owner of a ti 99 that I got up to speed with quick. I have a program recorder and in order to get a working TI99 I had to snag parts from three TI99's..... main reason I'm posting, probably in the wrong area, does anyone have a good source for audio of old forgotten programs....? the other day I snagged audio from a you tube video about the concept/ process and was pretty stoked to see code start up on my old machine. Would love to archive these programs and make them available so that folks might remember the old ways.....

hello, very new 1's and 0's to this conversation / arena, proud owner of a ti 99 that I got up to speed with quick. I have a program recorder and in order to get a working TI99 I had to snag parts from three TI99's..... main reason I'm posting, probably in the wrong area, does anyone have a good source for audio of old forgotten programs....? the other day I snagged audio from a you tube video about the concept/ process and was pretty stoked to see code start up on my old machine. Would love to archive these programs and make them available so that folks might remember the old ways.....

Try http://ftp.whtech.com under cassettes and read the FAQ pinned post in this forum