IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Even if the lower seals are broken, it makes no difference. You can only get to the PEB through the top, as it sits in a womb of foam that protects it from shock. I have three or four of those boxes at my house to protect my PEBs during moves.

Thats right! Now I remember! It's been so long since I had one of those boxes (like 1983), that I forgot. Yeah, going in from the bottom would really make a mess!

<Wonders what the experience of unboxing a new PEB would have been like>

I'm kind of glad I got mine used - didn't have to mess with all the packing :).

As someone who has had the experience of un-boxing a brand new, never before-opened Amiga CD32 and Amiga 1200 some 15 or so years after they were manufactured, I have to tell you it is like touching the past. The local-human level of reaching back in time with the Hubble telescope, knowing that I am the only person to have ever laid eyes upon it since it was sealed at the factory and sent across space and time (or, sat in a factory, your choice) until it reached my hands.

Back in 1992 when I would have opened my brand-spanking new Amiga 1200, there would have been the awe of having obtained something for which I worked long and hard. Today, the feeling is much the same, having waited for so long. The question in my mind at the time would have easily been "what can I do with this?" whereas today the question is more "what CAN'T I do with this?"

It is difficult to verbalize the ethereal, but I think I have come fairly close. I can imagine it would be giddily electric to be the first person in 30 years, in fact the only person, to open a box containing a TI PEB. Every corner, every shade of gray, every defect, every perfection, mine and only mine for all this time, reaching back to the day when I played Red Rover or Spread Eagle on the school grounds, or perhaps the day I jumped my BMX dirt bike, or maybe the day I sat all day long playing Pitfall or Frogger on the Atari 2600 with a school chum. As if the time which had passed, though really a life-time for me, was a mere blip in eternity for this shiny, virgin, pristine piece of amazing technology.

People are quick to bandy about the word "nostalgia," but the lexicon fails to properly enshrine the full character of emotion and human experience entwined in its application.

• Like 4

Okay, while not my intention to impugn anyone's reputation especially someone who states he ran various TI shops for 30 years, since I do not know this person I have to question the authenticity of this auction.

Rare Munch Man II TI-99 Texas Instrument Home Computer

I know DataBioTics released Munch Man II after TI's exit. But my copy has a white label, what looks like something you would print yourself. This has a red TI game label which I infer was manufactured by TI, but is also marked with "PHM 0000." Does anyone know the history of this game?

Okay, while not my intention to impugn anyone's reputation especially someone who states he ran various TI shops for 30 years, since I do not know this person I have to question the authenticity of this auction.

Rare Munch Man II TI-99 Texas Instrument Home Computer

I know DataBioTics released Munch Man II after TI's exit. But my copy has a white label, what looks like something you would print yourself. This has a red TI game label which I infer was manufactured by TI, but is also marked with "PHM 0000." Does anyone know the history of this game?

Three observations:

1. The left side of the cartridge label inset looks suspect. I suppose it could be a shadow, but to me it looks like the previous label had been removed and some of the glue residue was left behind.

2. The cartridge rarity list shows a different name and year: Munchman II 87 Triton TRI-BDAG 7 [ ][ ][ ] . Alas, we cannot rely on the list alone.

3. The top font and color seem wrong. If the label was from 1982, wouldn't the text be white? And wouldn't "solid state cartridge" be BOLD white? Other than Milton Bradley Carts, I don't recall black text.

Definitely suspicious. Perhaps Mr. Fetzner will chime in if he has this cart.

• Like 1

That is NOT an original label. It looks like someone either lost the original label (the black and white one from Triton--which appeared in two versions, with the differences being type and placement of lines to either side of the text) or decided to make their own for some reason. Both Triton labels were glossy white and had square corners--I have both types. The text of Munchman II on the cartridge label is also using a font that neither TI nor Triton used. The cartridge number is fictional, the text of Texas Instruments, the cartridge number, and the copyright are black--and not the white norm for Red-Label cartridges. Based on the analysis above, the label is fake. The cartridge may be an original Triton cartridge with a new home made label, or it may be an aftermarket copy. The bottom of the cartridge case can tell us which answer is most likely (all Triton cartridges have the blanked-out square on the bottom), as could the circuit card and even the EPROM manufacture date/manufacturer. It is a nice fantasy issue, but it has less value to a collector than the original, just because of the fake label. I strongly suspect it is a new copy on a Guidry Board, but I could only be sure by opening it.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

I sent the seller a copy of my analysis--I wonder what type of bluster (or simple acceptance of the facts) I'll receive in return?

I'd like to know if he get's back to you, and what he says, if anything. One thing is certain, with a fake label it's not worth $488.00 plus.

I myself am going to keep an eye on this auction and seller, to see what he does and what his ethics are.

I'm curious, did you also send him a link to this forum? If he knows he's being watched by the active TI community he might be more willing to rectify the situation. After all, Ebay auctions are NOT supposed to follow the old motto of, "Let the sucker beware".

That is NOT an original label. It looks like someone either lost the original label (the black and white one from Triton--which appeared in two versions, with the differences being type and placement of lines to either side of the text) or decided to make their own for some reason. Both Triton labels were glossy white and had square corners--I have both types. The text of Munchman II on the cartridge label is also using a font that neither TI nor Triton used. The cartridge number is fictional, the text of Texas Instruments, the cartridge number, and the copyright are black--and not the white norm for Red-Label cartridges. Based on the analysis above, the label is fake. The cartridge may be an original Triton cartridge with a new home made label, or it may be an aftermarket copy. The bottom of the cartridge case can tell us which answer is most likely (all Triton cartridges have the blanked-out square on the bottom), as could the circuit card and even the EPROM manufacture date/manufacturer. It is a nice fantasy issue, but it has less value to a collector than the original, just because of the fake label. I strongly suspect it is a new copy on a Guidry Board, but I could only be sure by opening it.

Granted, I would not mind some original TI mock-ups on some of my later-release cartridges, like "Munch Man II" and "Beyond Parsec." Even "4A Flyer" has a really nice looking label. I suppose authenticity is one thing we really need to watch for now that the ROMs for pretty much every cartridge is out there and we have the ability to board and package then up.

If I could find an Atarisoft cartridge case I could easily turn up a finished "Robotron: 2084" R@RE VINT@GE OMG KITTENS cartridge. Or "Star Wars" for that matter.

The "TRI-" number listed in the rarity list is the Triton catalog designation for the cartridge. A fair enough identifier, IMO.

On a semi-related note, I wonder how "buddybear99" puts cartridges on disk.

Anyway, here are a couple of quick-n-dirty snaps of my "Munch Man II" cartridge. Note that the label on this one will not be hanging around for much longer as the adhesive is being absorbed into the label.

post-27864-0-26350200-1380480056_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-46710900-1380480057_thumb.jpg

Granted, I would not mind some original TI mock-ups on some of my later-release cartridges, like "Munch Man II" and "Beyond Parsec." Even "4A Flyer" has a really nice looking label. I suppose authenticity is one thing we really need to watch for now that the ROMs for pretty much every cartridge is out there and we have the ability to board and package then up.

Mock-up labels are really easy to make now, unlike back in the old TI days. When I make up mine I print them on photo paper, then protect them with glossy self-adhesive lamination (it gives them a more professional appearance). Then it's just using a glue stick to attach them.

I've included a photo of my Super Cart label I made as an example.

TI 8K Super Cart

Speaking of stuff for the Super Cart, someone is selling a copy of 4A/Command DOS for it right now.....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTI99-Command-DOS-by-Monty-Schmidt-and-Ryte-Data-%2F321217713411%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26hash%3Ditem4aca115503

Mock-up labels are really easy to make now, unlike back in the old TI days. When I make up mine I print them on photo paper, then protect them with glossy self-adhesive lamination (it gives them a more professional appearance). Then it's just using a glue stick to attach them.

I've included a photo of my Super Cart label I made as an exam

That looks pretty sharp!

The answer was along the line of: thanks for the info, but here's one that sold for buchu bucks back in May, with this link:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fitm%2FRare-Munch-Man-II-TI-99-Texas-Instrument-Home-Computer-Command-Module-%2F261216585321

And when I responded that that was an anomaly and showed hin one that was much closer to the norm and that sold after his example (this link):

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTI99-4a-Game-Munchman-2-Munchman-II-%2F151087586370%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games_Games%26hash%3Ditem232d859c42%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DuiPXSujTJa1nof14aMKUum8zL2U%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

He said that wasn't an example and told me not to bid on his auction. Oh well, it looks like another clueless treasure hunter lives on eBay.

• Like 2

He said that wasn't an example and told me not to bid on his auction. Oh well, it looks like another clueless treasure hunter lives on eBay.

Schmuck. I deal with so many people who do this, "but THIS one sold for $bagillion, so I should get the same." Man, if I could get $750 for my "Munch Man II" cartridge, I would seriously consider parting with it.

But that is not your point, is it? You point is that he is representing this cartridge as being something it is not. That is not a legitimate label. Stop. So it is not in its original form, irrespective of his 30+ years of being a TI dealer.

It say's copyright 1982 on the label, even though he's claiming it's 1987.

$T2eC16N,!zoE9s5nd73zBSRQPRkMnw~~60_57.J

The PHM 0000 could be anything, I sure as heck would not risk & waste money on an unknown.

oh my god... i have the original manual for that cartridge !! :D ... ahahah... it's not the original label anyway :D

post-24673-0-61698400-1380549134_thumb.jpg

.....as the manual is not the originale one :)

Edited by ti99userclub

The answer was along the line of: thanks for the info, but here's one that sold for buchu bucks back in May, with this link:

My --> OPINION <-- for what it's worth, is that since he's been told it's not legit, and continues on with that super-high minimum bid, is that he is someone with lousy ethics who does not mind taking advantage of people.

I wonder how he would feel if the shoe was on the other foot and someone screwed him over? I've never been able to understand how people can do that to someone else.

• Like 2

I just went there (like 30 seconds ago) to see if anyone had bid on it yet. It appears the auction was ended. The reason given

was, "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."[/size]j So I guess he did the right thing after all. :)

If you want to see: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F221289905067

I took the auction down after several e-mail interactions with "ksarulofpurdimal" let me know that the item I had in auction was not genuine. This is the first auction I have ever pulled down in 20 years of E-Bay posting. When you do that, E-Bay forces you to pick one of five pre-written reasons which is why the "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing." appeared when I closed the auction as it was the closest reason. I'm very well known in the classic gaming community (http://www.gooddealgames.com/Staff.html), with an impeccable reputation. I have a 100% flawless E-Bay rating. I have over 11,000 different games in my personal collection, and while I am an expert with console and coin-op games, I am only a fan of old computer games. I used to use a TI-99/4a when in grade school and middle school and when a fellow friend sent me the following link (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Munch-Man-II-TI-99-Texas-Instrument-Home-Computer-Command-Module-/261216585321), I decided to sell my cartridge. Michael

• Like 2

Michael,

We are all in this together. As members of a community (even as disjoint as some may be) we are all responsible for looking out for buyers and sellers alike.

On the same token, I am not going to take down my post above where I called you a "schmuck:" you do not appear to be a schmuck, and my comment was formulated after seeing your initial response which I interpreted as schmuck-like. I do not do cover-ups, so my original statement will stand as will my retraction here.

If you have not worked or been involved with the TI in the past, it is a neat system to learn and fun, too.

(edited to clarify: if you have not been involved for a while, I should have said. I cannot assume you have had chance to have a lot of fun with the system even as a dealer.)

They're out tonight!
Check this out.....
$T2eC16ZHJHEFFmKpRmk4BSRim6zDe!~~60_57.J

A dude wants $4.06 + $1.99 shipping for a rough, used, rubber foot ripped off the bottom of a TI!
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FReplacement-Rubber-Leg-For-Texas-Instruments-Computer-TI-99-4A-%2F151132147204%3Fpt%3DUS_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories%26hash%3Ditem23302d8e04

Woo Hoo! What a bargain! :rolling:

** EDIT ** 3 1/2 months later he still has it up... but he raised the price to $4.41. What a schmuck (IMHO).

Edited by --- Ω ---