Photo

Mystery Port

12 replies to this topic

#1 toad OFFLINE  

toad

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 AM

I bought a 130XE on ebay - it hasn't arrived yet.
I just wanted a 130XE - so to me the port might be a bonus - I can't think of a reason for this port to be there though - anyone have a guess?

Mystery Port

#2 adam242 OFFLINE  

adam242

Stargunner

• 1,004 posts

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 AM

The XEGS used a 15-pin connector for the keyboard... someone may have added this to use a remote keyboard.
Can you post a picture of the inside? It would help to see where it's wired up to.

Two other long-shots are an internal parallel port or a connector for a PC-style joystick. I'm really reaching with those two.

#3 foft ONLINE  

foft

Dragonstomper

• 793 posts

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 AM

I'm guessing it is an extra sio port with custom connector.

Edited by foft, Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:13 AM.

#4 pixelmischief OFFLINE  

pixelmischief

Stargunner

• 1,277 posts

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 PM

Could be RGB video. Maybe he got a VBXE! =)

#5 foft ONLINE  

foft

Dragonstomper

• 793 posts

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 PM

It almost tempting to screw a bunch of interesting ports to the next XE I sell just to see all the guesses!

#6 toad OFFLINE  

toad

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:25 PM

heh - even though the DB15 was used for a lot of things, it'd be more interesting to see something like an RJ45 jack, Centronics CN50, or maybe even a Optical Toslink - Wikipedia says those actually came out in 1983. Of course no Atari had them, but that'd make it quite exciting waiting on the delivery of that XE :)

Well - my main hope is the computer works as described..

Edited by toad, Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:27 PM.

#7 kogden OFFLINE  

kogden

Dragonstomper

• 636 posts

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 PM

I'm with foft.... My guess is it's just SIO on a 15-pin connector.

#8 Fres OFFLINE  

Fres

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 AM

Gameport?

#9 Andreatari OFFLINE  

Andreatari

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 AM

mmmhh... in my opinion could be a port for a custom device used to communicate with U.F.O. :P

Seriously... I vote for the extra SIO port.

#10 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,799 posts

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 AM

Open it ... take pictures.. trace.. internal wiring.. AND then you should KNOW. 

#11 toad OFFLINE  

toad

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:49 PM

The 130XE arrived today - and the answer is: keyboard.

I was shocked, all the wires end up going to the  underneath of the computer - to the bottom side of the keyboard connector.

I haven't tried it yet, to see if an XEGS keyboard would work.

Eh...why two keyboards?  Doesn't make sense to me, but that mystery may never be resolved....

#12 toad OFFLINE  

toad

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 PM

I did try an XEGS keyboard - which did not work.  So, apparently someone had hooked up their own keyboard - or perhaps the connection doesn't work anymore.

But, the good news for me, is otherwise this Atari 130XE works - and I got it for $50, which isn't bad, I think.  But given I've made some bad purchases as well - got an XEGS that really doesn't work right at all - ....overall my collecting has been hit and miss, but I am glad to have recently had a string of luck...a working 65XE, a working XEP80 - and now a working 130XE.   Well - I'm also shutting down the additional purchases for a bit, this is plenty, lol

#13 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,905 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:51 PM

I did try an XEGS keyboard - which did not work.  So, apparently someone had hooked up their own keyboard - or perhaps the connection doesn't work anymore.

But, the good news for me, is otherwise this Atari 130XE works - and I got it for $50, which isn't bad, I think.  But given I've made some bad purchases as well - got an XEGS that really doesn't work right at all - ....overall my collecting has been hit and miss, but I am glad to have recently had a string of luck...a working 65XE, a working XEP80 - and now a working 130XE.   Well - I'm also shutting down the additional purchases for a bit, this is plenty, lol

Maybe the connection is for a 1200XL keyboard, if you compare the schematics you will see that they both have 15-pin connections but different pinouts.

1200XL

1200XL-7.gif

XEGS

XES7.gif

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users