IGNORED

Import from Japan....what to try for?

I was hoping to get some input from the community on this. We have a saleman at our company who is regularly making business trips over to Japan. He's also nice enough to look around for me if I give him a small wish list of gaming/electronic items.

So I'm trying to come up with just a couple of things that are:

• Relatively easy to find in Japan
  • Relatively hard or not possible to find in the US
  • Compatible with US hardware (using a Freeloader counts)
  • At this point, N64 or Gamecube related
  • Language friendly

On the software front, I have no ideas....any suggestions? I don't even know if any N64 software would fit my criteria above....isn't there a lockout tab that prevents Japan titles from fitting into a US console (?).

On the hardware front, I was thinking of a Wavebird. Does anyone know if those are easier/cheaper to find in Japan? If so and relatively inexpensive, that would be a very nice grab, and something sorely missing from my GCN set-up!

I'm really hoping that someone with some knowledge chimes in saying that Wavebirds are a dime a dozen in Japen (fingers crossed!).

Based on Amazon.co.jp, it doesn't seem like it (top group is "Used - Acceptable [Condition]" copies, while bottom group is New copies).

Do you have a Game Boy Player? I imported mine when Play-Asia.com had them at a discount, because I wanted it to match my GameCube's color (and I think we only got the black one in North America?). Of course, you would need to run Freeloader every time you used it.

Personally, if I were going to Japan, I'd look for handheld (except 3DS) and PS3 games, since those are inherently region free. One of my imported GameCube games spews garbage instead of Japanese text on the screen when I'm running it via Freeloader. Or maybe I'd look for a cheap Japanese PS2 and copies of Namco X Capcom and Thunder Force VI.

Oh, and I'd probably also shop for a lot of anime, manga, and assorted merchandise, but that's another story. :)

onmode-ky

I second the recommendation of Sin and Punishment. Incredible game and since it's a shooter there's no real language barrier issues.

If you do decide to expand your search beyond N64 and Gamecube stuff, I recommend getting a Wonderswan Color. The system is dirt cheap in Japan and has a good selection of exclusive titles, but it was never released outside Southeast Asia and is thus quite uncommon in these parts.

• Like 2

We have a saleman at our company who is regularly making business trips over to Japan. He's also nice enough to look around for me if I give him a small wish list of gaming/electronic items.

If he goes to Tokyo, he should go shopping at Akihabara. It's the gaming mecca of Tokyo. Here's a wiki link about it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara

• Like 1

I second the recommendation of Sin and Punishment. Incredible game and since it's a shooter there's no real language barrier issues.

If you do decide to expand your search beyond N64 and Gamecube stuff, I recommend getting a Wonderswan Color. The system is dirt cheap in Japan and has a good selection of exclusive titles, but it was never released outside Southeast Asia and is thus quite uncommon in these parts.

if you go this route get a Wonderswan coin for the controller.

I would get NeoGeo AES games.

Edited by grips03

• Relatively hard or not possible to find in the US
  • Compatible with US hardware (using a Freeloader counts)
  • At this point, N64 or Gamecube related
  • Language friendly

Mr Driller - Drill Land! One of the best, if not the best, Dig Dug sequels ever made. Bright art, great music, and 5 game modes, where only one would present any sort of language barrier at all (and not a difficult barrier).

140.jpg

I second the Panasonic Q, and going to Akihabara. The Sega Arcade there is nothing short of amazing.

Also while he's over there, see if he can find a Famicom A/V. Basically its a top loader NES, that uses the same multi out as the SNES. S-Video does not work on it though.

I missed my chance to snag a Famicom A/V when I was stationed there for $60. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting it.

If you are into Cave Shoot Em Ups, get Mushihimesama Futari 1.5, DoDonPachi saidaioujou, Espgaluda 2, Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink sweets, and I think there's one more that's region free. All are for the xbox 360.

Edited by keilbaca

Forum reply boxes have been acting really 'wonky' for me since the upgrade. If a mod can delete the double-post, please feel free.

Anyway Rex, this is great, just the type of game I was looking for. The fact that it can connect with a GBA is icing on the cake. Which makes me ask though....anyone happen to know if GBA games are region free? If so, I may have to ask him to try and find both Mr. Driller - Drill Land and Mr. Driller Ace: Fishigi na Pacteria.

About the Wonderswan mentioned above....make me think back: was it the Wonderswan or the Neo Geo Pocket Color that had cross functionality with the Dreamcast? I'd swear that I remember hearing about that at one point.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so he's leaving for Japan tomorrow and will be on the lookout for the Mr Driller games.

Any other GCN suggestions?

Also, while I know it's not 'Classic', as I was playing Rayman Legends this evening I got to thinking: 1) is the Wii U region fee? and 2) anyone know of any good Wii U games available in Japan but not released in North America yet??

Also, while I know it's not 'Classic', as I was playing Rayman Legends this evening I got to thinking: 1) is the Wii U region fee? and 2) anyone know of any good Wii U games available in Japan but not released in North America yet??

The Wii-U is region-locked, unfortunately. Gotta wait until it's hacked.