Request for assistance in publishing old source code files

Source code Chris Crawford Eastern Front (1941) Excalibur

39 replies to this topic

#26 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,598 posts

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:29 PM

I would like to try to recover more of your files. If they were written on an 810, they may be off-track or skewed.

If you are still local to the Bay Area, I can pick them up (one at a time, if you like) rather than trust them to the USPS or such.

Bob

UCD '70 !!

#27 Chris Crawford OFFLINE  

Chris Crawford

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 PM

No, I'm no longer in the Bay Area, but I could send them to you in batches. What address should I use?

Chris

#28 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,598 posts

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 PM

PM sent...

#29 russg OFFLINE  

russg

Stargunner

• 1,648 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 AM

Has anyone been able to load & run the scenario editor and/or load 1943/1944 data files?

Either they are corrupt or im loading these in incorrectly? (using Altirra and win800plus for convenience)

The 'EF 1941 scenario editor .atr only has a text file in it called NOTES.TXT that starts with DESIGNERS NOTES
It has no executables and doesn't boot. No, it also has EFTFNT.DAT in it.
The '1943-44 scenarios for eastern front.atr is a DOS 2.0S atr with three, I guess, game saves,
EF42STLN.GRD
EF43KRSK.ORL
EF44MAY1.SAV
It isn't corrupted, has DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS, boots fine.

Those three files are intact. I don't know how to load saved scenarios.
Since I don't know how to load them, I can't tell if they are good.

Edited by russg, Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:10 AM.

#30 Magic Knight OFFLINE  

Magic Knight

Dragonstomper

• 581 posts
  • Waiting for SHATRON to be released...

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 AM

Slightly off-topic but for those interested - i saw this port of Eastern Front to the TI-99 computer,

http://www.adamantyr...asternfront.htm

#31 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:06 PM

I have a lot of old Atari floppies. I sent them all off to a fellow at the Atari museum. He read what he could and sent them back, including a CD-ROM with all the files he could pull off them. As you can see, they were pretty badly corrupted.

That was probably Curt Vendel.  If he couldn't read them, then I don't hold out much hope.  Then again, Bob is also quite the Atari wiz so maybe he can work some magic?

#32 Chris Crawford OFFLINE  

Chris Crawford

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 PM

Yes, it was indeed Curt Vendel. Still, let's let Bob take a stab at it.

#33 Magic Knight OFFLINE  

Magic Knight

Dragonstomper

• 581 posts
  • Waiting for SHATRON to be released...

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:36 PM

The 'EF 1941 scenario editor .atr only has a text file in it called NOTES.TXT that starts with DESIGNERS NOTES
It has no executables and doesn't boot. No, it also has EFTFNT.DAT in it.
The '1943-44 scenarios for eastern front.atr is a DOS 2.0S atr with three, I guess, game saves,
EF42STLN.GRD
EF43KRSK.ORL
EF44MAY1.SAV
It isn't corrupted, has DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS, boots fine.

Those three files are intact. I don't know how to load saved scenarios.
Since I don't know how to load them, I can't tell if they are good.

Thanks - pressing Option on the main screen calls a disk loader but i suspect this is done differently as its not responding in this way.

#34 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,887 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 PM

I would like to try to recover more of your files. If they were written on an 810, they may be off-track or skewed.

Bob

UCD '70 !!

Bob, does your 810 have "The Chip" installed? I found that they can help in recovering bad floppies :)

#35 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,598 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 PM

I think I have a 'Chip' in a bag somewhere - none installed that I know of.

What would the Chip do for you?

Worse comes to worse, I'll just build my own 'drive' and rip the tracks. I have some disks from OSS that I can't read either, so this project has been in the queue for a while.

As long as there is oxide on the disk, we should be able to read it. If somebody wrote over the data... well...

Bob

#36 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,887 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:43 PM

I think I have a 'Chip' in a bag somewhere - none installed that I know of.

What would the Chip do for you?

Worse comes to worse, I'll just build my own 'drive' and rip the tracks. I have some disks from OSS that I can't read either, so this project has been in the queue for a while.

As long as there is oxide on the disk, we should be able to read it. If somebody wrote over the data... well...

Bob

Along with the Chip, the Archiver/Editor allows different settings to read skewed sectors and sectors with a bad CRC where the oxide has deteriorated some. I have been able to recover disks that were over 60% unreadable into a 100% good image...

You can also read a single track at a time with visual status of each sector.

The Chip mod just changes the 810 rom with a 4k eprom with a couple of wires used for bank switching the 2k segments.

Jay

#37 Chris Crawford OFFLINE  

Chris Crawford

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 PM

By the way, I might as well mention this here: do you fellows know about the "frozen floppy" trick for recovering old floppies? It's very difficult to do correctly, but it has worked for me.

#38 Shamus OFFLINE  

Shamus

Dragonstomper

• 668 posts
  • Moo, er, Roar!

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 AM

Never heard of that trick (frozen floppy). I did learn to clean the heads of the drive after every disk cloned though, after finding out that the oxide could be lifted from certain old floppies when using a drive with dirty heads. :P

#39 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,876 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:49 PM

A clean drive is a happy drive... No, wait...It isn't... I should say "Use a Happy drive that is clean and in good adjustment" :)

#40 fibrewire OFFLINE  

fibrewire

Stargunner

• 1,625 posts

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:16 PM

I think I have a 'Chip' in a bag somewhere - none installed that I know of.What would the Chip do for you?Worse comes to worse, I'll just build my own 'drive' and rip the tracks. I have some disks from OSS that I can't read either, so this project has been in the queue for a while.As long as there is oxide on the disk, we should be able to read it. If somebody wrote over the data... well...Bob

I'd say let Bob have a try - and what OSS disks are in the queue :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Source code, Chris Crawford, Eastern Front (1941), Excalibur

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users