IGNORED

28 years later... Finally got my Atari ST!

Tears

Hello All,

I just found a deal on Craigslist and purchased the following for $75.00:

Atari 520STm - Upgraded to 1MB RAM

External SF354 Floppy drive

SM1224 Monochrome monitor

Boxes, manuals, power supplies, etc...

I used to stare at the Atari ST computers when I was a kid and wanted one, but my parents would not get me one (I had a TI99/4A). Well, I finally found one at what I think is a good price.

The system did not come with any software disks and the hardware has a lot of yellowing of the case so I wanted to get some recommendations on the following:

1. What is the latest version of TOS I can load onto this model?

2. Is there any site you recommend to download software for the system legally and what do you recommend as first steps?

3. No mouse was included... What is the best mouse solution... buy an actual Atari mouse or go with some type of adapter to use a PC mouse?

4. What can I use to clean it up to restore it back to its original white color?

I am excited to get started and learn how to use this system and experience a bit of history I missed.

Thank you for any input!!!

Edited by Tears
  • Like 1

Hi! Welcome to the world of Atari ST! I've been a fan since 1985. My first ST was a 520ST.

1. The latest TOS you can install without hacks and 3rd party boards is TOS 1.04 (1.4) It comes on two or 6 chips. You can get a set on eBay for around $25. (There are ways to get TOS 2.06 for it but it's not really worth it, as it's not the best in games compatibility.)

2. There are plenty of sites, Google is your friend there!

3. You can get a mouse at the Atari dealers online (Best or B&C), eBay or classified ads on here, Atari-Forum or Amibay.

4. You can use simple green cleaner on it and it works pretty good. If it's discolored you can perform the Retrobrite on it (google it)

First thing I would do is get a mouse and then get a Windows PC with a real floppy drive installed, then download the program "Floppy Image" to it.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

You will then be able to write Atari ST disk images to a real 720K disk. (all formats, not just 720K)

Edited by tjlazer
  • Like 2

Hi! Welcome to the world of Atari ST! I've been a fan since 1985. My first ST was a 520ST.

1. The latest TOS you can install without hacks and 3rd party boards is TOS 1.04 (1.4) It comes on two or 6 chips. You can get a set on eBay for around $25. (There are ways to get TOS 2.06 for it but it's not really worth it, as it's not the best in games compatibility.)

2. There are plenty of sites, Google is your friend there!

3. You can get a mouse at the Atari dealers online (Best or B&C), eBay or classified ads on here, Atari-Forum or Amibay.

4. You can use simple green cleaner on it and it works pretty good. If it's discolored you can perform the Retrobrite on it (google it)

First thing I would do is get a mouse and then get a Windows PC with a real floppy drive installed, then download the program "Floppy Image" to it.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

You will then be able to write Atari ST disk images to a real 720K disk. (all formats, not just 720K)

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, without the mouse or a disk drive, I am kind of stuck since the system came with no disks. I will have to dig out an old pc with a floppy drive since my current system does not have one!

I will see if I can find a 720k Atari drive and mouse for cheap somewhere.

SF354 is single sided drive. So, upgrade is almost mandatory.

Legal SW DL ? This is pretty bad idea. I must say. Legal people (lawyers, CR owners) really don't care about users and their needs. But if you insist on legal, seek for Atari ST PD SW. You will find a plenty. Just don't complain about quality :)

Okay, so the legal comment was to be polite... Some forums do not like any discussion of piracy or stealing of software. I am more than happy to download ST software without paying for it... However, if its homebrew or something similar, I like to contribute some dollars to keep the work going.

Second comment about the disk drive... I guess I need to find one. :) Also, are there any other upgrades to the 520ST you would recommend that don't cost a lot? Can I upgrade it with the Blitter chip the STe models had? Any way to get a HDD or similar functionality? I am mainly curious about how far I can take this system without getting too crazy with spending a lot of money.

Thank you!

Edited by Tears

Congrats on the purchase.

Yeah, I am pretty happy! I just bought an Atari 5200 as well... That will require some work though... Two broken controllers and a switchbox that need some work. Its amazing how much things have changed over the years... It your mind, everything is amazing! And then, you see what amazed you as a kid and compare it to the modern age... GAH!!! I still love this stuff though... Gives you perspective on how technology has evolved.

Second comment about the disk drive... I guess I need to find one. :) Also, are there any other upgrades to the 520ST you would recommend that don't cost a lot? Can I upgrade it with the Blitter chip the STe models had? Any way to get a HDD or similar functionality? I am mainly curious about how far I can take this system without getting too crazy with spending a lot of money.

Thank you!

If there is place for blitter in your machine then adding blitter is not so big deal. If TOS version is 1.02 or greater, it has it likely. Otherwise, you need to open case and check. But I don't see blitter as much useful. Better is to get some color monitor (if have no TV good for Atari) and mass storage - like UltraSatan. Not cheap, but something what you can add without opening machine, and it is well supported with SW and adapted games.

• Like 1

RAM is going to be a bit restrictive on that STm. Not sure if a Marpet 4Mb will fit inside =\. As soon as you go down the HDD route you may find some games won't work without more RAM, although I would expect majority will work with 1Mb when running from HDD (Ultrasatan).

Blitter upgrade is straightforward but needs a socket soldering on (assuming your board has space for one), which means 70 ish pins to solder. (I forget how many, I think it's less than the 84 on Amiga Fat Agnus - 64 or something)

• Like 1

They are not really white to begin with, you're seeing yellowing I'd imagine. Simple Green, Purple Cleaner all work well. Took time with scotch-brite gently scrubbing. It will at the least even out the shade somewhat. Been playing with regular washing bleach on vintage (~1974) dirt bike fenders. Those that weren't sun rotted, but extremely yellowed came out pure white after a day of soaking with agitation. Going to try my TT case someday, goes without saying find a test spot to try on first.

On eB there are a couple mice options, from purchasing a modified optical mouse, to adapters that can use PC type mice, and used or new Atari mice. Unless going for an original look and feel, would look at one of the other options, Atari mice seem to be going for a lot considering you'll be using a mouse designed as long ago as you have waited for the 68k.

Going for a HD is a very expensive proposition. Don't have one myself, there is a device named "Ultra Satin" for about 100 bucks that reads memory cards as opposed to floppy's. The only disadvantage would be locked software like games or other offerings of the time. Pretty insignificant number though. Makes transferring files far easier, and much less expensive than a hard disk set up. HD adapters are astronomically high for the DMA based Atari hard disk connections. When I first purchased my 1040, recall having two 3.25" drives provided the most practicality than anything else. That said, most everything you invest in will be usable when you get around to upgrading to a Mega STE :)

Looking through shareware games, most will indicate if it needs a meg. The early stuff may fill up 512k of ram, but the nice thing about TOS is it doesn't matter. If only PC's had TOS in ROM, may have a chance preventing Windows from consistently modifying itself, apps crashing the O/S and freezing the system, as opposed to a couple bombs dancing across the screen, then taking you back to the desktop:) It's been a long time since installing a Marpet board in my ST, Requires "vintage" soldering skills, but AIRC, don't see why it wouldn't work on a 520ST. Ok, walked out to the shop, box says "520ST".

Get a decent ACC program, most good utilities run from that panel. Be sure to install "Dancer.Acc", a viable distraction while waiting for something to process.

My ST has TOS 1.02, works with most software from back then. It's will crash on about half the games or demos released shortly after the 1040ST or Mega ST were released. You could use TOS in ROM to load 1.04, the 512k amount of memory will be more noticeable. I'd go for the memory upgrade over a chip TOS update. Think there are hacks showing how to upgrade a 520 to 1 meg of ram, AIRC, involves swapping out the existing chips. Lot of soldering....

Photo where tires can be seen, left fender is a "new" knock off, one on right, plastic fender that came on the bike in 1974.

Other two are a set, the cleaner one being same condition of the left before dipping in a 5 gallon bucket of bleach.

Have a couple spare Atari mice, you can have one for postage. Message if so, don't follow threads too closely.

28 years, would expect a highly pent up urge for Atari computers in general :)

post-19354-0-28326300-1377817814_thumb.jpg

post-19354-0-37129900-1377817829_thumb.jpg

post-19354-0-14001100-1377817863_thumb.jpg

Edited by rustynutt
  • Like 1

I bought a similar setup (no extra floppy drive, but a color monitor) for $75 via Craigslist about 4 months ago. The floppy drive on mine was broken, so I ended up replacing it with a PC drive. I wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not, but it is a cool system to own. I really like that you can create floppy disks for it on a PC, as that makes it easy to try various games and such.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

They are not really white to begin with, you're seeing yellowing I'd imagine. Simple Green, Purple Cleaner all work well. Took time with scotch-brite gently scrubbing. It will at the least even out the shade somewhat. Been playing with regular washing bleach on vintage (~1974) dirt bike fenders. Those that weren't sun rotted, but extremely yellowed came out pure white after a day of soaking with agitation. Going to try my TT case someday, goes without saying find a test spot to try on first.

On eB there are a couple mice options, from purchasing a modified optical mouse, to adapters that can use PC type mice, and used or new Atari mice. Unless going for an original look and feel, would look at one of the other options, Atari mice seem to be going for a lot considering you'll be using a mouse designed as long ago as you have waited for the 68k.

Going for a HD is a very expensive proposition. Don't have one myself, there is a device named "Ultra Satin" for about 100 bucks that reads memory cards as opposed to floppy's. The only disadvantage would be locked software like games or other offerings of the time. Pretty insignificant number though. Makes transferring files far easier, and much less expensive than a hard disk set up. HD adapters are astronomically high for the DMA based Atari hard disk connections. When I first purchased my 1040, recall having two 3.25" drives provided the most practicality than anything else. That said, most everything you invest in will be usable when you get around to upgrading to a Mega STE :)

Looking through shareware games, most will indicate if it needs a meg. The early stuff may fill up 512k of ram, but the nice thing about TOS is it doesn't matter. If only PC's had TOS in ROM, may have a chance preventing Windows from consistently modifying itself, apps crashing the O/S and freezing the system, as opposed to a couple bombs dancing across the screen, then taking you back to the desktop:) It's been a long time since installing a Marpet board in my ST, Requires "vintage" soldering skills, but AIRC, don't see why it wouldn't work on a 520ST. Ok, walked out to the shop, box says "520ST".

Get a decent ACC program, most good utilities run from that panel. Be sure to install "Dancer.Acc", a viable distraction while waiting for something to process.

My ST has TOS 1.02, works with most software from back then. It's will crash on about half the games or demos released shortly after the 1040ST or Mega ST were released. You could use TOS in ROM to load 1.04, the 512k amount of memory will be more noticeable. I'd go for the memory upgrade over a chip TOS update. Think there are hacks showing how to upgrade a 520 to 1 meg of ram, AIRC, involves swapping out the existing chips. Lot of soldering....

Photo where tires can be seen, left fender is a "new" knock off, one on right, plastic fender that came on the bike in 1974.

Other two are a set, the cleaner one being same condition of the left before dipping in a 5 gallon bucket of bleach.

Have a couple spare Atari mice, you can have one for postage. Message if so, don't follow threads too closely.

28 years, would expect a highly pent up urge for Atari computers in general :)

That is a lot of great info! Thank you! So, I got curious and opened up my ST. The guy I bought it from mentioned that he thought it had been upgraded to 1MB (It does appear that someone did some work on the board). After looking over the board, not sure it will support some of these upgrades mentioned (including the blitter) since I don't see where it would go. Here is a pic...

I bought a similar setup (no extra floppy drive, but a color monitor) for $75 via Craigslist about 4 months ago. The floppy drive on mine was broken, so I ended up replacing it with a PC drive. I wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not, but it is a cool system to own. I really like that you can create floppy disks for it on a PC, as that makes it easy to try various games and such.

Good luck and have fun!

What type of PC drive did you use? I have an old 1.44MB floppy drive in an old Dell.

I had about 3 spares in a box...I just chose one that fit without having to twist the connecting cable. I think it was an Epson drive. It worked, and it's double sided I did have to also use an extension cable for the floppy power connector and trim the case a tiny amount.

Let me know if you need help making floppys on a PC, as it is a little tricky. Best tip I can offer: the 520ST requires 720K DS/DD disks. If you don't have any, you can use 1.44M DS/HD disks, but you MUST put a piece of tape over the left square hole so that the PC really formats it as DD.