IGNORED

DK Arcade 2600. New 4-Level Demo!

iesposta

I haven't seen this until just now - fantastic work! I wouldn't have expected anything like this from a batari Basic game.

I'd seen DK VCS, but thought there were far too many compromises made to achieve its look. But DK Arcade manages to retain the gameplay (which is the most important thing) to such a degree that I suck equally bad at this as I do the arcade game. ;)

Wow, thanks Nathan! That means a lot to me (and Byte Knight I'm sure)!

I didn't really plan for this to be my first game, but with BK doing the game logic, it is finally taking off.

I tend to mock up game after game.

I started this in December 2011, learning all what the VCS can do, had all 4 levels in batari Basic 32K a year ago, but by last Fall I had only

managed player movement over the Rivet Level. Solo it would have lingered for years.

I'm wondering if a two color playfield (red girders and blue ladders, 30Hz) would be workable or palatable here. VCS DK does have more colorful sprites but at this stage the enemy AI and overall level design in Arcade are far superior. LadyBug used 30Hz playfield flicker and it was barely noticable if played on a CRT.

Flickering the playfield makes figuring out the timing of collisions between the sprites and playfield very difficult. That's probably the reason the ramps are flat in DK VCS - so you don't need to flicker the playfields...

Flickering the playfield makes figuring out the timing of collisions between the sprites and playfield very difficult. That's probably the reason the ramps are flat in DK VCS - so you don't need to flicker the playfields...

Makes sence I guess, especially if collision detection only worked on ever other frame when the playfield area wasn't blacked out. I know nothing about actual VCS programming, and due to the large areas of screen involved it's probably best not to implement full screen flicker. Sprites are okay because they only occupy smallish areas. And I do agree with the above posters gameplay has to come first. The VCS port, while still fun, had an absolute lack of challenge with only one enemy per girder.

I would still love a double ender cart with both versions, or maybe since they're both 32kbyte, a 64kb ROM on a 32kb board with the old school hack multicart trick of using a manual toggle switch for game selection.

Thanks for the reports, AtariBrian!

I found the climb down the first half ladder a day after you reported it!

This level is >insane< to code!

It even goes over 262 scan lines with the hammer and all 4 barrels. It jitters up and down on the Zenith CRT, but my Sony CRT is steady. Weird, huh?

Thanks for the reports, AtariBrian!

I found the climb down the first half ladder a day after you reported it!

This level is >insane< to code!

It even goes over 262 scan lines with the hammer and all 4 barrels. It jitters up and down on the Zenith CRT, but my Sony CRT is steady. Weird, huh?

More to come but from a different board . :grin: All the other bugs I found last week I pmed to Todd but figured I could just put anymore here . Hope thats ok with him . Its amazing that there will be all 4 boards on the 2600 and it looks this good !

Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 1

Also , I fell through the top platforms on the left and to the right of the elevator but its intermittent . As you can see in the picture I fell through it from jumping off the elevator and kept falling till I hit the platform you see him lying on .

post-30396-0-51889800-1391052966_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariBrian

Also , I fell through the platforms on the left and to the right of the elevator but its intermittent . As you can see in the picture I fell through it from jumping off the elevator and kept falling till I hit the platform you see him lying on .

Poor Mario JumpMan. I feel bad for him sometimes... :_(

Also , I fell through the top platforms on the left and to the right of the elevator but its intermittent . As you can see in the picture I fell through it from jumping off the elevator and kept falling till I hit the platform you see him lying on .

Thanks for taking a look at all the levels. It's possible to fall through the floor if you start your jump too low. Unfortunately Mario can't jump like he's in Super Mario Bros.

Thanks to Byte Knight, we have Difficulty Switch A = American Screen Order (close enough), or Difficulty Switch B = Japanese Screen Order!

Thanks to an idea I had and RevEng contributing a bit of titlescreen asm code, we now have working How High screens:

gallery_29575_885_46.pnggallery_29575_885_23429.png

gallery_29575_885_19268.pnggallery_29575_885_24400.png

Also working is Level 4:

med_gallery_29575_885_15521.jpg

• Like 3

The American screen order goes L1 L4, etc.,

but if L1 is "25m & one monkey," what is L4 "meters" & "number of monkeys?"

US arcade version goes up to 150m in the higher levels. Where do you put all those extra gorillas?

Stage Order:

1: 50m: 1,4

2: 75m: 1,3,4

3: 100m: 1,2,3,4

4: 125m: (I forgot)

5 & up: 150m: 1,2,1,3,1,4

(crap ton of barrel stages if you ask me)

The American order will probably go:

1-4

1-3-4

1-2-3-4

But we can only show up to 4 monkeys.

L1 will have one monkey, L4 will have four, etc.

Not sure what to do about the "stages" meters, we have levels.

Yes but on higher loops they do insert extra barrel stages in between the levels until every other stage is a barrels. You'll need to figure out a way to run the proper stage order including all those danged barrels, LOL!

The American version can show 6 gorillas thanks to DK being a portrait mode game. I guess the way to handle that would be to show just the top 4 gorillas when you get to that point (150m through 75m).

Done! American level order will be just like the arcade:

1-4

1-3-4

1-2-3-4

1-2-1-3-4

1-2-1-3-1-4

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stay tuned for a 4 level demo release soon!

We're tired of this game. We've moved on to a better game where you just press the fire button over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over . . . :D

• Like 3

February 19, 2014 :cool:

There's a new DK in town called DK Arcade 2600, joining AtariAge member Joe Musashi's phenomenal D.K. VCS!

This playable demo features all 4 levels in full-screen goodness, so check it out!

Brought to AtariAge by members "Byte Knight" and myself, "iesposta."

Binary and Video in first post!

• Like 3

Um, I don't know what I did, but somehow I think the ROM glitched it up. After I died, I swiped my finger across the numbers at the top of the keyboard starting with 1. I was trying to figure out what to do since it gets stuck whenever I lose my last life. I can't remember what the heck I'm supposed to press to activate the RESET and SELECT switches so I swiped my finger across the keyboard. Anyway, the following screenshot happened when it froze (phosphor effect enabled) :

post-33189-0-34919400-1392875988_thumb.png

I'm gonna go load this on Harmony; playing with the keyboard is a b****.