Ouya Devs - Best Emulation Machine

7 replies to this topic

#1 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• 3,045 posts
  • gaikokugamers.com

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013 12:03 PM

I've had my Ouya Devs console for a bit and I'm loving it. I highly suggest an ouya to anyone looking for top notch emulation for cheap.

It does n64 and ps1 emulation amazingly well. Unlike the n64 emulator on my mac, games run perfectly for me on the ouya, including games like f-Zero X where all the car's textures appear unlike on my computer's where they are either missing or distorted.

Ps1 emulation along with mame can be done really well if you side load apps. I think it's called epsxe and mame for droid. After setting things up I've found both to do a fantastic job, and they're both free apks.

The controllers are also great for emulation, and I find they do amazing well no matter what system I'm emulating. The triggers are great, joysticks can be tuned for sensitivity in each emulator using them to make them feel like the original (n64 is set to 75% which I've found feels exactly like the original), and the dpad is top notch.

Dpads seem to differ between the Devs console vs the retail unit, but both are great and aren't unnecessarily distant from the mother board like Xbox controllers are (which is one major reason why emulators never felt right on that system for me). The Devs console has raised parts on the dpad which is kinda like a playstation dpad. Retail units have a cross floating on a circle pad.

Anywho if anyone needs settings advice or pictures or anything, I'm more than happy to help. It'll be the best console based emulation machine you've ever had.

#2 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013 7:36 PM

It does n64 and ps1 emulation amazingly well. Unlike the n64 emulator on my mac, games run perfectly for me on the ouya, including games like f-Zero X where all the car's textures appear unlike on my computer's where they are either missing or distorted.

You must be using a really old emulator.  N64 emulation on Mac works very well.

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/

#3 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,045 posts
  • gaikokugamers.com

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013 10:00 PM

You must be using a really old emulator.  N64 emulation on Mac works very well.

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/

Was using the latest versions of Ez7z and sixtyforce. The games I love had a lot of issues on it.

#4 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013 10:05 PM

I'm pretty sure Ez7z is a compression utility, not an emulator.

SixtyForce is awful.  That developer really needs to stop taking payments for that broken emulator.  Definitely give Mupen a try.

#5 DaytonaUSA OFFLINE  

DaytonaUSA

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,045 posts
  • gaikokugamers.com

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013 11:12 PM

I'm pretty sure Ez7z is a compression utility, not an emulator.

SixtyForce is awful.  That developer really needs to stop taking payments for that broken emulator.  Definitely give Mupen a try.

Sorry lol you're right. Read the wrong one on my Marc's dock. Mupen64 was the other.

Besides, playing on an office chair isn't as great as playing while sitting on the sofa.

#6 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

Stargunner

• 1,741 posts

Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013 9:56 AM

Is the Dev Ouya much different than the retail version?  I've enjoyed the emulation so far, although for things like MAME it has limits.  Most of the mid-90's games that work (Non-SEGA model 2/3/Naomi) run unbearably slow, whereas they are perfect on my windows PC.  One example is Die Hard Arcade. 

I haven't used ePSXe yet, but it's perfect on my PC.  Does it do texturing and such, and isn't choppy? 

#7 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013 10:45 AM

Is the Dev Ouya much different than the retail version?  I've enjoyed the emulation so far, although for things like MAME it has limits.  Most of the mid-90's games that work (Non-SEGA model 2/3/Naomi) run unbearably slow, whereas they are perfect on my windows PC.  One example is Die Hard Arcade. 

I haven't used ePSXe yet, but it's perfect on my PC.  Does it do texturing and such, and isn't choppy?

The main difference are the controllers, where they modified the PCB layout to be closer to the dpad for the retail version.

#8 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,315 posts

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013 9:52 PM

How's the Emulation on MAME?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users