ColecoVision Modification YPbPr Component New

253 replies to this topic

#26 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,140 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 12:18 PM

If there's a need for a switch between component and composite, I can make sure it's accessible by the back of the machine.

I'll have to give Super Cobra a try, to see if it works or not... maybe I just need to leave it at 1K, then... or another switch.  :D

There's little or no drilling if you don't want to have any of the extras.

Regarding the power switch, I have my eye on some replacements, but I'm not 100% sure they'll fit well or not. Hopefully there's some options available to people here. Time will tell.

As far as switching the BIOS, pick one, then leave it.

For the reset/pause button combination, that sounds like an interesting idea to have short press equal pause and long press equal reset. Another option is to combine the reset switch with the power switch, and have a dedicated pause switch.

#27 tabachanker2 OFFLINE  

tabachanker2

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 12:29 PM

I'd much prefer a real button for the pause function.  I hate everything that doesn't have a tactile response, I either accidentally pass over the sensor (happened too often with my original ps3), or I can't tell if it detected me properly.

#28 F-Cycles OFFLINE  

F-Cycles

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 12:39 PM

Does the VDP stay limited to 16 Kb?

#29 ColecoDan OFFLINE  

ColecoDan

Stargunner

• 1,780 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 12:41 PM

I even prefer VHS over DVD/Blue Ray

That is just crazy talk.   I don't even own a VHS player anymore.   In no way could it ever be considered preferable.

#30 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,277 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 1:26 PM

That is just crazy talk.   I don't even own a VHS player anymore.   In no way could it ever be considered preferable.

Not from a guy who used to worked in a video club back in late 80's/early 90's   ;)

#31 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,519 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 1:41 PM

Not from a guy who used to worked in a video club back in late 80's/early 90's   ;)

Next you'll be telling us that you prefer vinyl over CDs. ;)

#32 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,140 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 1:58 PM

Does the VDP stay limited to 16 Kb?

I don't know if this is possible for the TMS9928A.

I'll leave it at 16K, unless there's a reason to increase it and if it's super easy to implement. I'm using a 32K RAM chip, by the way.

#33 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

• 7,277 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:13 PM

Next you'll be telling us that you prefer vinyl over CDs. ;)

SURE THING!

Also prefer cartridges over CDs  ;)

Edited by retroillucid, Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:15 PM.

#34 F-Cycles OFFLINE  

F-Cycles

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:15 PM

I don't know if this is possible for the TMS9928A.

I'll leave it at 16K, unless there's a reason to increase it and if it's super easy to implement. I'm using a 32K RAM chip, by the way.

Well, if you asked me... I would dig down design to allow more colors, more resolution, more sprites... linking even 2 TMS9928A together. Which could allow software developer to use the transparent color to display the output of the 2nd TMS9928A.

If you take a look on my post in colecovision programming : My first test... on the TMS9918, you will see a "new" video mode (unless someone already done it before) : 64x192.

If there was a bit to swap the 16 kb bank.. I could toggle it at each NMI and use color flickering tricks to enhance title screen for example.

Well, so far I have just started to do something on colecovision. But, even if I won't be the one doing it, if the possibility are there... it give the opportunity for anyone who want to use it.

#35 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,519 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:39 PM

Well, if you asked me... I would dig down design to allow more colors, more resolution, more sprites... linking even 2 TMS9928A together. Which could allow software developer to use the transparent color to display the output of the 2nd TMS9928A.

What you're looking for is Opcode's CV-2 project. I don't think your wish list fits the scope of 5-11under's project.

#36 F-Cycles OFFLINE  

F-Cycles

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:41 PM

What you're looking for is Opcode's CV-2 project. I don't think your wish list fits the scope of 5-11under's project.

Thank you, I am a bit lost about all projects, sorry.

#37 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,140 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:55 PM

Thank you, I am a bit lost about all projects, sorry.

Hey, no problem. As Pixelboy mentioned, this project is pretty much a ColecoVision, just with some minor improvements, but nothing game changing. It's meant to replace a ColecoVision, but not be a completely new next-generation console.

#38 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 5:08 PM

Sign me up for one, please.

#39 Electric Adventures OFFLINE  

Electric Adventures

Chopper Commander

• 156 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 6:28 PM

Sounds like a really good idea, sign me up for one. Be nice if there was a PAL option but not a deal breaker if there is not (Australian TVs are all multi-frequency anyway).
Also be good if the extra ram is there, but if it causes too many problems, also don't stress about that as there is still the SGM.

#40 DoctorTom OFFLINE  

DoctorTom

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts
  • John 3:36

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 7:02 PM

Put me down for one please.  This idea is dynamite.

#41 projectcoleco OFFLINE  

projectcoleco

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 7:12 PM

This is most awesome - put me in for one as well!  Thx!

#42 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,661 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 7:18 PM

Put me down for one please.  This idea is dynamite.

So what you are trying to say is....

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=-5rU27ejQf4

#43 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,096 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 7:26 PM

This sounds great , the idea of that coleco 2 seems silly and pointless to me . This is all that is needed  :thumbsup:

#44 tabachanker2 OFFLINE  

tabachanker2

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013 11:21 PM

This sounds great , the idea of that coleco 2 seems silly and pointless to me . This is all that is needed  :thumbsup:

I kind of agree with you on this.  I much prefer slight improvements (to get rid of slightly annoying things like the title delay or limited video outputs) than a more powerful version of my beloved Colecovision console.  Call it nostalgia or insanity, but I love having all those limitations when I program the thing!  If I want to program for a more powerful console, there's a lot of other choices available!

#45 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,140 posts

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013 12:23 PM

I got a fair bit of work done over the last day or so. I fixed some known mistakes, got the board outline done, mounting holes added, second controller added (I only had one for the prototypes), expansion connector added, and static RAM for the VDP added (was originally on a daughter board, so I could swap between static RAM and the "8 bit tower of DRAM"). There's plenty more to be done.

Time for a break, though... to work on game PCBs for Toby and maybe Daniel.

#46 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,230 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013 5:06 PM

My good ColecoVision busted, I can't test the cartridges I've just made, I'm a bit in a trouble here.

I saw your project here and I'm quite enthusiast about it, do you think you can make a working prototype for christmas?

While I'm on this topic here, I will be happy to provide some of my own CV games to your project.

Edited by newcoleco, Wed Sep 4, 2013 5:14 PM.

#47 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,140 posts

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013 5:18 PM

My good ColecoVision busted, I can't test the cartridges I've just made, I'm a bit in a trouble here.

I saw your project here and I'm quite enthusiast about it, do you think you can make a working prototype for christmas?

Sorry, I don't have a firm date. It depends on available time and success level.
I did send you a quick e-mail regarding assembling/testing new cartridges.

#48 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,219 posts

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013 7:00 AM

what board house are you using to make the pcb?

Edited by grips03, Thu Sep 5, 2013 7:00 AM.

#49 digress ONLINE  

digress

Dragonstomper

• 860 posts

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013 8:31 AM

I'll definately order a Coleco 1.2 replacment pcb or maybe more than 1 depending on final cost. I have a couple of flaky coleco's that could use a new board.

My 1 suggestion would be to have some of the major chips use a socket rather than solder mounted direct to the board for ease of replacment if a problem occurs in the future.

You can add me to any list of purchasers.

Edited by digress, Thu Sep 5, 2013 8:32 AM.

#50 retroillucid ONLINE  

retroillucid

• 7,277 posts

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013 11:50 AM

TO EVERYONE WHO STILL THINK TO BUY A CV 1.2 !!!!

KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL CV MOTHERBOARD!!!

You'll need one when Toby and I will have complete our project ;) ;)

Otherwise, simply keep it as a spare

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ColecoVision, Modification, YPbPr, Component, New

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users