IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

Ah. I read that but missed the posted date.

Cool. Hopefully this will become a real product this year.

On a side note, this project is very close to what I've wanted to do. For a while now, I've dreamed of designing a Coleco "compatible" computer. I know there is ADAM and MSX but have you priced those lately? Lol

Anyway, my idea was to use new parts only and perhaps try to get audio and video through a Parallax Propeller.

Oh well, if/when I get beyond the breadboard with my design I will let people know. ;-)

Edited by cbmeeks
  • Like 1

I worked on the 3rd prototype again, and got it working fairly well. I need to make a fix to the latching for the Static RAM for the VDP, and also to the Sega controller inputs. The fix for both is known. I probably need to get another batch of PCB prototypes done again soon, so I'll make sure these changes are included, and see if I can get the expansion port worked out.

any chance of some kind of rgb video output ?

any chance of some kind of rgb video output ?

Probably not. Definitely not anytime soon. If all goes well, probably these will be available starting with VGA and then later analog YPbPr, then digitally created YPbPr and then DVI/HDMI or whatever is around at the time. I could consider digitally created RGB the same time as digitally created YPbPr, but I have no TV or monitor that accepts RGB inputs.

By the way, when I say "digitally created", I'm speaking of taking the color difference outputs from the TMS9928A, capturing that data digitally (A/D converter of some sort), massaging that data, then sending it out (D/A converter) as required.

• Like 1

Probably not. Definitely not anytime soon. If all goes well, probably these will be available starting with VGA and then later analog YPbPr, then digitally created YPbPr and then DVI/HDMI or whatever is around at the time. I could consider digitally created RGB the same time as digitally created YPbPr, but I have no TV or monitor that accepts RGB inputs.

By the way, when I say "digitally created", I'm speaking of taking the color difference outputs from the TMS9928A, capturing that data digitally (A/D converter of some sort), massaging that data, then sending it out (D/A converter) as required.

Sounds good. Are you still considering implementing a daughter board system, so the output option could be a plug-and-play affair? :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi 5-11under !

Tim Lawrence here, I have a Sony PVM RGB monitor that I could give to you. Would you consider doing RGB output if you had an RGB monitor?

• 1 month later...

The Colecovision is the most poorly built/manufactured game system ever! The PCB is total junk and the on/off switch is junk. I rebuilt my on/off switch and it works fine, but now I am getting occasional controller problems. I think I can probably just resolder the ports though. The cartridge slot isn't much to write home about either. For as decent a system as it was, it was manufactured very poorly.

The Colecovision is the most poorly built/manufactured game system ever! The PCB is total junk and the on/off switch is junk. I rebuilt my on/off switch and it works fine, but now I am getting occasional controller problems. I think I can probably just resolder the ports though. The cartridge slot isn't much to write home about either. For as decent a system as it was, it was manufactured very poorly.

You should see some of their Telstar dedicated systems from the '70s. Some were quite nice and nicely made, but others were so cheap (or cheap-looking!) it's almost unbelievable. I just fixed up my Gemini, which is a notorious console for power and controller sockets coming loose. Pretty easy to fix, but they were not built to last right out of the box. The board itself is actually flexible (like, more than you'd expect, and this is probably the culprit behind jacks and ports getting worked loose) and requires its metal shielding/housing to brace it.

Coleco made some cool stuff, but yeah, the quality of the parts they used is often dubious.

The quality of the manufacturing was average for its day, which means its 10-20 times better than what is average for today. Because it's all thru hole technology, you can easily replace any components that go bad.

Coleco didn't design their products to still be in use decades after they were introduced, and decades after the company went out of business. They probably designed it to last 10 or 15 years at the most, at which time ColecoVision's successor would have fully replaced it. It's a testament to the quality domestic manufacturing that a lot of ColecoVision's either still work, or work after minor refurbishment.

If you want to see poor manufacturing, just open up a ColecoVision flashback, or a Retron 2, Retron 3, ect, or a Yobo, or any other clone console. I can't imagine those will last as long in working condition as the original consoles they are cloning.

The quality of the manufacturing was average for its day, which means its 10-20 times better than what is average for today. Because it's all thru hole technology, you can easily replace any components that go bad.

Coleco didn't design their products to still be in use decades after they were introduced, and decades after the company went out of business. They probably designed it to last 10 or 15 years at the most, at which time ColecoVision's successor would have fully replaced it. It's a testament to the quality domestic manufacturing that a lot of ColecoVision's either still work, or work after minor refurbishment.

If you want to see poor manufacturing, just open up a ColecoVision flashback, or a Retron 2, Retron 3, ect, or a Yobo, or any other clone console. I can't imagine those will last as long in working condition as the original consoles they are cloning.

I have to agree with this. Especially the part about how systems still work 30+ years later and were probably never intended to. I mean, I have 3 or 4 CV systems that are all in perfect working order with no mods. Never even opened up the casings. 1 of which has sat in a box for nearly 20 years in the garage. I have yet to buy something off eBay for the system that didn't work. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, I dunno. But I actually have found the consoles to be fairly well built, especially for the early 80s. I've had plenty of Chinese knock-off crap fail, as have several XBOX and Sony consoles in recent years. Hell, I had an XBOX 360 die on me after about 6 months of use. I don't seem to recall the CV having it's version of the RROD! lol

I can't speak for the technical construction of the PCB because I don't really know much about it. I just know that all my systems work and I've had very good luck with them well after the systems intended lifecycle has expired.

• 1 month later...

Colecovision NEW Motherboard

Is there a BOM (Bill of Materials) list for this ? So I can start buying ICs etc

Keep in mind that it's all vapourware at the moment, but anyway, the planned items needed are: ColecoVision console shell/case, 5V power supply, and possibly an F18A. ICs and other parts will already be assembled.

• Like 1

CV systems were considered a children's toy and were made to toy standards by a toy company( COLECO ). It was most likely intended to be used for 2-3 years tops and discarded, like most toys. Do you really think Coleco planned to make it so video game collectors in 2015 could still be using it? What other electronics/appliances from 1982 are you still using daily? It's ludicrous that video game collectors expect a 33 year old CV that was sitting in someones dusty, damp basement or scorching hot attic for decades to perform like it's brand new and if it doesn't it's "junk".

• Like 3

• 1 month later...