IGNORED

Found an Atari 8-bit proto of Keystone Kapers

ApolloBoy

I went over to a local game store today and spotted what looked like a prototype of Keystone Kapers for the A8, which I bought for $4 (a great deal for the game regardless). It looks exactly like the version Tempest talked about on his site so I'm wondering if this is an actual proto or a reviewer copy. I haven't tested it yet, but I have a suspicion that this is the final version.

th_0905131301_zpsf92451aa.jpg

Yep that's an 8-bit Activision proto alright. They're neat to own, but I've only seen ONE that was different from the final version (Pastfinder which was called Explorer at that point). Either Activision kept a really tight rein on their WIP prototypes or they didn't burn them to carts until they were finished. I'm guessing the former, and the ones we see are all magazine review carts.

Does it feel heavier then your other Activision Atari computer carts?

Just curious if it has an eprom inside, or just the rom.

(without you having to damage the label on the cart)

I just got around to weighing it compared to my copy of Pitfall and it weighs pretty much the same, which I think would confirm my suspicion of this being a reviewer copy as opposed to an actual prototype.