IGNORED

AtariAge Protocol for Linking to Live eBay Auctions

boxpressed

Just wanted to get some feedback on your feelings about posting links to live eBay auction listings for desirable items.

On the one hand, you are sharing information that is not useful to you but may be useful to another member.

On the other, you are sharing information that some would want to keep under wraps because they will have more competition (e.g. you point out a super rare hidden among a lot of commons).

What I've learned is that most people are okay with sharing unless it affects them! But is that the best we can do?

If it is on eBay it is already public information. There is no reason not to post it if you find it interesting or just want to share the info. There are so many people scanning eBay, there is little chance it will go unnoticed anyway.

Anyone upset that somebody posted a link doesn't really have a reason to be upset.

What is the point of posting a link 'just in case somebody might like this'? I can see if it's your own auction. I can see if there is something fraudulent about an auction or seller. But otherwise why waste space on the forum? I don't see the point?

Allan

What is the point of posting a link 'just in case somebody might like this'? I can see if it's your own auction. I can see if there is something fraudulent about an auction or seller. But otherwise why waste space on the forum? I don't see the point?

Allan

The point would be alerting fellow collectors to an item that you yourself don't want but that might be highly coveted by them.

For example, here is an auction that ended a few days ago.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1511081355811?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=151108135581&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

There is a boxed Quadrun in this massive lot, perhaps CIB. I haven't seen one of those in a couple years. I also don't really collect 2600 games and wouldn't pay $900 for the lot. But I imagine that others reading this would have done so and would have appreciated the tip.

• Like 1

The point would be alerting fellow collectors to an item that you yourself don't want but that might be highly coveted by them.

But that is what eBay and their search engines are for. I think pointing out auctions like you describe can create hostility by alerting a large percentage of Atari collectors to an auction that someone on here was trying to win below a certain price. It works great for the seller but not for the buyer. Ebay has a good search engine anyways so why not let people do the work (if you could even call it that)? Not to say I have never done this but in general I don't because my goal here is to have a friendly environment to discuss classic video games, not to get into arguments and cause any. Just my two cents.

Allan

But that is what eBay and their search engines are for. I think pointing out auctions like you describe can create hostility by alerting a large percentage of Atari collectors to an auction that someone on here was trying to win below a certain price. It works great for the seller but not for the buyer. Ebay has a good search engine anyways so why not let people do the work (if you could even call it that)? Not to say I have never done this but in general I don't because my goal here is to have a friendly environment to discuss classic video games, not to get into arguments and cause any. Just my two cents.

Allan

True. Ebay does have a "decent" search engine. But there are times that actual humans are better than Ebay's search engine. Especially when it comes to looking at countless images with no text description. You also have to realize that those that are on AtariAge are NOT the only ones that may be bidding on lookinf for an item. IMHO pointing out good auctions is great for the "community" at large. It may not be so great for someone that spotted something that he/she likes. I guess it boild down to community vs individual person. I vote for community.

• Like 1