Photo

Battlezone vs. Robot Tank

36 replies to this topic

Poll: Battlezone vs. Robot Tank (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better?

1. Battlezone (35 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Robot Tank (45 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 3,746 posts

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:51 PM

Battlezone 100% better.. You can die in bz even when you cant see the enemy tanks fire in rt its what you cant see wont hurt you.. really lame aspect for me that ruined rt to the point of sickness that it sucked so bad . The graphics on bz blew me away.. a full screen sprite that wasnt a dot?? Atari 2600?? I was completely shocked!

#27 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,000 posts

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013 12:11 AM

I voted battlezone. I loved the weather on robust tank, but as you moved the screen violently shook an I just found that unacceptably annoying. Sometimes attempts at realism on low hardware have a negative effect.

#28 karokoenig ONLINE  

karokoenig

Stargunner

• 1,987 posts

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013 5:28 AM

... robust tank...

Now - THAT's a name for a homebrew game.

#29 R.O.T.S OFFLINE  

R.O.T.S

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 PM

Yeah Robot Tank has a few more interesting things going on and is not quite as repetitious therefore I can play it longer,not too keen on the big block bullet fired at you though. Lol

#30 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,664 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 AM

I will always hate "Atari" for shutting down the fun Vector Tanks project then selling off the Battlezone IP. They're a bunch of dirty old egg-sucking dogs.

#31 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,001 posts

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 AM

My alternate "Battlezone" go-to is Stellar-7 and Nova-9 on the PC. And other derivatives like Stellar-7 and Arctic Fox on the Apple II.

#32 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,664 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:07 AM

The Spectre series does it for me. Weird trapezoidal box and Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash packed in!

#33 ave1 ONLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• 325 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:55 PM

I put hours and hours into both these games as a kid. After a couple months of on and off playing, I realized that I prefer Battlezone because the gameplay is solid. Robot Tank has nice eye candy and a good feel to it.... but when you get a certain ways in the frustration can be a little much.

Edited by ave1, Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 PM.

#34 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 363 posts

Posted Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:07 AM

My personal opinion:
I love the different weathers in Robot Tank, how you actually have a chance to avoid the enemy shots, but dislike how if you can't see the opponent, they can't hurt you.

Battlezone also has more types of enemies, but that's minor. With so many enemies from all sides in Battlezone and your sluggish movements it always seemed nigh impossible to dodge the enemy shots but at least they can still hurt you if you can't see them do you can't just hide behind them forever.

Whether you can take multiple hits in Battlezone seems entirely up to luck and with your visuals and radar both destroyed, plus the thread, it makes me feel like you might as well be dead anyway.

Overall, I guess Robot Tank is a bit better for me but if they could still fire from behind you then that would be almost perfect. If the first hit always damages one of your 4 things and then the second hit kills, and there were more varieties of enemies then that would have been perfect for me.

Edited by Tangentg, Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 AM.

#35 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,001 posts

Posted Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 PM

My personal opinion:
I love the different weathers in Robot Tank, how you actually have a chance to avoid the enemy shots, but dislike how if you can't see the opponent, they can't hurt you.

You also have a chance to avoid shots in Battlezone. It's actually quite cool to watch the the shots arc close to you and then away as you go into a reverse turn.

#36 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 363 posts

Posted Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 PM

You also have a chance to avoid shots in Battlezone. It's actually quite cool to watch the the shots arc close to you and then away as you go into a reverse turn.

Yeah but it's very hard and I was seldom able to pull it off.

#37 ave1 ONLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• 325 posts

Posted Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 AM

Yeah but it's very hard and I was seldom able to pull it off.

I got really good at this as a kid, and its part of the reason I prefer it to Robot Tank.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users