IGNORED

Games that should be redone

Thomas Jentzsch

Wow a lot of people are bagging on mr do. I think its actually a pretty good port for the 2600

Mr. Do! on the 2600 isn't a horrible port but it could use some improvement. One of the issues I have with it is that you can't really dig two horizontal tunnels next to each other. The soil just vanishes. This could be improved by removing that large green bar at the bottom with the extra lives indicator and using that for more "playing ground." :) If you look at the RetroFan mockups, he's done that. It's just better use of the screen space, I think.

1. Gorf - one of my favorite arcade games. Could stand a lot of improvements, including adding Galaxians and AtariVox support.
  2. Turbo - after nearly 30 years of waiting, the Coleco prototype was a pretty weak effort. It could be done better.
  3. Lunar Lander - the Flashback versions left a lot to be desired. Don't even get me started on the Star Ship variant.

Other thoughts:

Seems to me John Payson (supercat) had made a nice update to Space Wars. I wouldn't mind seeing that one fully redone, but it has less appeal since it's a two-player only game.

Star Ship was a port of Starship 1. From a purely nostalgic standpoint, I'd love to see a proper version of Starship 1.

Miner 2046er & Vol. II are terrible. I have such a negative opinion of them, I have a hard time imagining they could be good games.

Centipede/Millipede/Crystal Castles w/true Trak-Ball control would be awesome. It transformed Missile Command.

I'd love to see Tac-Scan get a makeover. If Star Castle can be done...

It would be interesting to see what the 2600 could really do with Zaxxon, if the Harmony DCP+ was unleashed on it.

Same for Mr. Do! Great arcade game, clunky port.

Ms. PacMan - It needs a black background and have the speed increase as you progress. (Just to name a few things)

Tie between Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr - Because... damn.

Pole Position - Green grass, drones that look like race cars and not like yellow fences, and maybe some start and finish line grafx.

Ms. PacMan - It needs a black background and have the speed increase as you progress. (Just to name a few things)

Tie between Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr - Because... damn.

Pole Position - Green grass, drones that look like race cars and not like yellow fences, and maybe some start and finish line grafx.

Check out these threads for two Ms. Pac-Man hacks that I think you'll like:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/146664-ms-pac-man-gets-a-facelift/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/68511-ms-pacman-black/

• 2 years later...

I have now realized that any pinball game for the 2600 has the weird controls scheme using left and right - which means you cannot use two flippers at once and the reaction is also slowed down by the fact you have to move joystick left or right. The much better scheme would be the one that Sega Genesis flippers use - left + button. But I guess this is all down to the fact that Atari 2600 came with the joystick instead od dpad.

I have now realized that any pinball game for the 2600 has the weird controls scheme using left and right - which means you cannot use two flippers at once and the reaction is also slowed down by the fact you have to move joystick left or right. The much better scheme would be the one that Sega Genesis flippers use - left + button. But I guess this is all down to the fact that Atari 2600 came with the joystick instead od dpad.

Ha! Only children or newbies press both flipper buttons in at the same time and that's because without practice, they're uncoordinated little spazz's still. :lol:

Besides, you most certainly *can* in the three pinball games released for the 2600. In Video Pinball, press up. Press down in Midnight Magic and press both buttons on the paddles when playing Bumper Bash. :)

• Like 3

There's a game on the VIC 20 called Pinball Spectacular. It's kinda like a pinball game but with a break out feel. Something like that would be pretty groovy on the 2600.

This would be the real killer release and I think the 2600 would handle it quite well. Pinball Spectacular or Cutie Q by Namco - that's the one.

This would be the real killer release and I think the 2600 would handle it quite well. Pinball Spectacular or Cutie Q by Namco - that's the one.

There were similar "paddle pinball" games on the TRS-80, and the Atari Video Pinball standalone console as well.

Speaking of which, I think a "multicart" release of ports of all the games on the Atari Video Pinball console would be shweeet.

• Like 1

For me :

1. Phoenix

2. Dig Dug

3. Battlezone

all of them are quite good already but could have been far better.

im sure with todays knowlege they would shine twice as bright :D

Dig Dug is one of my favorite games on the 2600, I think it's a great port.

For the sake of relevance:

1. Galaxian

2. Asteroids

Asteroids only because the graphics didn't really resemble the arcade's vector display (Probably because they wanted to show off the color capability of the VCS). Galaxian is just boring. :?

Edit: Just realized this post originated two years ago...

Edited by hendersonn

Gyruss. The Parker Bros version is quite good considering the limitations of the VCS. A DPC+ version could improve the music (think Pitfall II) and possibly help to reduce flicker.

Burgertime. Just echoing what many have already said.

Ms. Pac-Man. Another game where the original is already quite good. After seeing the great Pac-Man 4K and 8K versions released lately there is room for improvement in Ms. Pac-Man.

• Like 2

Asteroids - asteroids mostly move up and down not left ,right ,and diagonally like the arcade

It has been redone as Meteoroids (Starpath prototype) and Space Rocks, both of which have Asteroid movement closer to the arcade.

I would like to see a better version of Star Raiders since the original port wasn't close to the original.

Edited by BrianC

Miner 2049er- Bounty Bob moves too slow and choppy. Like to see a smoother frame rate.

If you browse through this thread T. J. released a speed hack of Miner 2049er. Unfortunately this game still sucks for me. Just look how stupid are those points with floor vs slides - impossible to colour the floor without sliding down or doing a totally weird jump. Also, the fact that you die and you have to start from scratch... sorry not for me.

Edited by maiki

For those who mentioned BurgerTime, I'm currently working on it:

(General announcement/thread for tracking progress)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246769-burgertime-remake-in-progress/

(First blog entry with screenshot)

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/614/entry-12174-burgertime-remake-the-start/

Definitely encouraging to see so many people asking for it. :)

Mine:

Miner 2049er (both!)

Zaxxon

BTW: I got the idea from the Videogamecritic when he complained about Miner 2049er's speed.

I think they made both games slower because of the 3-level-limitation. You have less levels as on other versions, but more and longer "fun" with the existing ones.

My list:

Kangaroo (rush-job!)

Donkey Kong

Video Pinball