IGNORED

Commodore 64 Moondust Cartridge no sound?

Noah98

I just picked up the game Moondust for the C64 (this games is insane) and I can't get any sound. I have 10 other cartridges that all play fine with sound, so I don't think it's the computer. I've cleaned the contacts on the game and they appear fine too. Am I missing something with this crazy game?

i just tried an "emulator version" of the game and can confirm it has spooky sounds, almost like random music. A lot of it sounds like combined waveforms, whether your SID chip would have some issue in reproducing those. I didn't study the code to see if the game initializes in an unusual way, or perhaps addresses a shadow memory location. The SID chip normally resides at $D400 but I believe it can be accessed at multiple addresses as long as no other hardware is added to the memory map. If that is the case, perhaps you have a partly bad PLA? Is this a breadbox C64, a newer C64C or another model?

I could probably supply you with a few dozen "unusual" POKEs to try in Basic to see if you get sounds from those.

• 5 years later...

There is a bug in the game which causes it to not have sound in certain cases on NTSC machines. My guess is that if you pop it up on a first revision C64 with 5 pin video that it will work properly.

I just picked up the game Moondust for the C64 (this games is insane) and I can't get any sound. I have 10 other cartridges that all play fine with sound, so I don't think it's the computer. I've cleaned the contacts on the game and they appear fine too. Am I missing something with this crazy game?

Edited by evietron
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a bug in the game which causes it to not have sound in certain cases on NTSC machines. My guess is that if you pop it up on a first revision C64 with 5 pin video that it will work properly.

Interesting...I never knew about this. I also have a copy of Moondust that plays with no sound. I thought I had a bad cart or something since I never noticed any SID issues with any other games. I'll have to see if I can track down a machine it's actually compatible with.