IGNORED

APAC 256 color mode 80x240 'interlaced': has this been done?

bugbiter

Well,

I was bored, so I converted some landscape pictures into the BGP format. The pics use PAL Laoo palette and their original resolution was 320x200 pixels, so they were converted into 80x239 pixels with borders (named auto letterbox in the converter). At first I tried OlivierP palette, but then most pics did not have colours at all or only very few colours. With Laoo palette the pics looked much better and had more colours, but I only tested them with Altirra right now, will test the result on a real Atari at the weekend. Afair I used Burke dithering and Euclidian RGB.

The pics have been transfered onto 180k images along with a DOS 2.0 compatible DOS and a viewer. There are 179 pictures on 23 images (not sure if I should also convert the more than 600 nude girl pics into the BGP format, since the resolution of 80x239 is still very low)... ;-) Stay away two or three meters from the screen when viewing these pictures.

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Well,

I was bored, so I converted some landscape pictures into the BGP format. The pics use PAL Laoo palette and their original resolution was 320x200 pixels, so they were converted into 80x239 pixels with borders (named auto letterbox in the converter). At first I tried OlivierP palette, but then most pics did not have colours at all or only very few colours. With Laoo palette the pics looked much better and had more colours, but I only tested them with Altirra right now, will test the result on a real Atari at the weekend. Afair I used Burke dithering and Euclidian RGB.

The pics have been transfered onto 180k images along with a DOS 2.0 compatible DOS and a viewer. There are 179 pictures on 23 images (not sure if I should also convert the more than 600 nude girl pics into the BGP format, since the resolution of 80x239 is still very low)... ;-) Stay away two or three meters from the screen when viewing these pictures.

-Andreas Koch.

I tend to have better results when using the weighted RGB. Sometime in the not too distant future I will be experimenting with YUV colourspace, and maybe CEIDE2000.

If you have any requests or suggestions for my converter, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

bugbiter, I wish to make a request if you can spare the time.

Please customize a version of your player so that it starts imediately in slideshow mode with 10 second intervals. I have an 800XL that is currently without keyboard which is why I'd like a viewer that goes automatically to slideshow mode.

This has reminded me. I think your slideshow intervals are incorrect for NTSC machines. Intervals seem too short for the amount of time selected.

Features that I don't need but might be nice for your player:

- randomized slideshow

- joystick only control (no keyboard)

Thank you.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

Hi steve,

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess joystick support will be easy to do for choosing and picking. But first i will give you the modified slideshow version. I am on holiday right now, i can do that on 4th of january soonest.

Pal ntsc is detected by the viewer for correct timing but maybe i got something wrong, ill check...

Cu and happy new year to you!

Martin

Hi Steve,

here is a preliminary version 1.4 which goes into slideshow at start if it finds a directory in D1: with files on it. Slideshow mode will end however whenever an empty dir or an error is encountered.

I will add joystick control for your convenience soon. Multi Page Menu is already done :-)

Martin

SLIDE.xex

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

here is a preliminary version 1.4 which goes into slideshow at start if it finds a directory in D1: with files on it. Slideshow mode will end however whenever an empty dir or an error is encountered.

I will add joystick control for your convenience soon. Multi Page Menu is already done :-)

Martin

attachicon.gifSLIDE.xex

Thanks Martin! Sorry, you had to patch this yet once again to force the auto start.

Perhaps you could use a POKEY timer and after say 30 seconds of inactivity then put the 'S' key's value into CH

This un-modified version 1.4 seems like a complete viewer. As it stands it work great. Multi-pages work and the UI looks a bit cleaner.

Is it OK to replace BGPVWR12 with this file on my disks?

I have one more suggestion for slideshows. I don't know if it's an easy or difficult thing. I'd like to see an option to randomize the pictures.

Thanks, for your utility. Together it with Stephen's picture converter are allowing us to enjoy our Ataris in a new way and to generate great pictures really fast.

-Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words! Sure, go ahead, you can do whatever you want with the file.

I have never used the pokey timers, maybe I give it a try, like an attract mode.

The random slideshow mode I have in my mind for a while already.

Do you have an idea how to solve this in an elegant and memory-efficient way?

I cannot just pick random files because I dont want to repeat pics. All of them should show up in random order without doubles. So that forces me to make a list of all picutes which then must be scrambled prior to showing. The viewer supports 256 file entries so I have to sacrifice a whole memory page for that.

And I have to find a way how I securely and efficiently scramble x numbers without getting the math too complex...

An 8-bit LFSR will walk through 255 pseudo-random values, without repeats until 255 values are pulled, at which point the whole thing repeats. You can change the start of the sequence just by initially seeding the random number with a non-zero value from some timer, so the start picture will be different if viewed some other day.

No need to scramble, in that case. Just use the pseudo-random value as an index.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have finished Bugbiter Viewer version 1.5.

Joystick control is implied (on special request from a8isa). We now also have a random slideshow mode. And of course the multipage menu.

joystick works as follows:

- left/right/up/down controls the cursor.

- Push and release button to display the pic

- push button + left/right -> decrease/increase timer

- push button + down -> start slideshow

- push button + up-> start random slideshow

I couldnt find any more bugs. Please report if anything strange happens. I've tried it with beweDOS, SpartaDos and Dos2.5.

BGPVWR15.XEX

Enjoy!

post-33401-0-29453500-1390091214_thumb.jpg

post-33401-0-41471100-1390091205_thumb.jpg

post-33401-0-14983800-1390091195_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

this is it.

I have implemented all the functions that were important to me and I think they're bug-free.

With your help in several other threads I have been able to overcome every challenge in areas where I had too little or no knowledge before.

- the slideshow mode uses a LFSR routine with a random offset so everytime the sequence will be different

- the slideshow mode does start with the selected picture

- the viewer now has a splash screen during loading

and the multi-block executable assembles in one go from Wudsn Atasm by several .bank directives. Nice :-)

However, I think the long filename thing is too much for me right now. I would like to see it though,

so if anybody wants to have a go coding it, I will gladly give you the commented source.

So here's my Bugbiter Photo Viewer version 1.6

BGPVWR16.xex

Please report any Bugs.

Stephen, If you move on with your converter I will be happy to adapt the viewer to any new aspect that may come up.

cheers,

Martin

post-33401-0-86446800-1391207404_thumb.jpgpost-33401-0-12674300-1391207414_thumb.jpgpost-33401-0-00711700-1391207393_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to this update. Especially now that Recoil 3.0 by the F.A.I.L. team supports this file extension BGP for windows PC.

Something is in the works. Sorry for the delay - work has been insane, but I am trying really hard to have the latest version out by this weekend.

• Like 2

Something is in the works. Sorry for the delay - work has been insane, but I am trying really hard to have the latest version out by this weekend.

New version has been sent to Bugbiter for testing. I have a few small things to add, and I won't release until he is ready, but there's gonna be some cool new stuff :)

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

this is it.

I have implemented all the functions that were important to me and I think they're bug-free.

With your help in several other threads I have been able to overcome every challenge in areas where I had too little or no knowledge before.

- the slideshow mode uses a LFSR routine with a random offset so everytime the sequence will be different

- the slideshow mode does start with the selected picture

- the viewer now has a splash screen during loading

and the multi-block executable assembles in one go from Wudsn Atasm by several .bank directives. Nice :-)

However, I think the long filename thing is too much for me right now. I would like to see it though,

so if anybody wants to have a go coding it, I will gladly give you the commented source.

So here's my Bugbiter Photo Viewer version 1.6

attachicon.gifBGPVWR16.xex

Please report any Bugs.

Stephen, If you move on with your converter I will be happy to adapt the viewer to any new aspect that may come up.

cheers,

Martin

attachicon.gifviewer1.JPGattachicon.gifviewer2.JPGattachicon.gifnorthernlight.JPG

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. I was adding some pictures to the Christmas collection I made last year and on some pictures I noticed a glitch. The problem only occurs with BGPVWR16 (as far as I can discover). Earlier versions are fine. See the problem below.

post-9154-0-24574600-1419475225_thumb.pngpost-9154-0-70306000-1419475267_thumb.png

as seen with BGPVWR15 as seen with BGPVWR16

The problem is at the top of the picture. (Click the thumnails for a better view). Generally 2 to 4 scanlines have wrong data. The problem is more frequent with pictures that aren't letterboxed.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

Here's the aforementioned revised collection of Christmas themed APAC239i (BGP) pictures.

xmas_pics_2014.zip

If you are using an emulator or booting from a hard drive on real hardware then just run one of the BGPVWR programs (eg BGPVWR16).

If you are loading from a real SIO device and using an XL,XE or XEGS you might want to run HISIO.COM first to get maximum speed for your device/interface.

There's a PAL and an NTSC collection of pictures each, one ATR for each format.

The ATRs are too big for real floppy drives. Sorry.

-SteveS

P.S. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Here's the aforementioned revised collection of Christmas themed APAC239i (BGP) pictures.

attachicon.gifxmas_pics_2014.zip

If you are using an emulator or booting from a hard drive on real hardware then just run one of the BGPVWR programs (eg BGPVWR16).

If you are loading from a real SIO device and using an XL,XE or XEGS you might want to run HISIO.COM first to get maximum speed for your device/interface.

There's a PAL and an NTSC collection of pictures each, one ATR for each format.

The ATRs are too big for real floppy drives. Sorry.

-SteveS

P.S. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Unfortunately, because of the way I updated the ATR I created a bunch of duplicate pictures.

Here's the corrected ATRs.

xmas_pics_2014.zip

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1