IGNORED

Intellivisionaries podcast ep1 now available

Rick Reynolds

In all seriousness, thanks for the feedback! After listening to the episode again, I do think we spent too much time discussing the Coleco controller. This isn't a Colecovision podcast! :) And we also aren't really trying to make the tone one of "the Intellivision was great and everything else stunk!"

But I think it's natural to end up doing some comparisons. The heyday of the Intellivision had it up against the Atari VCS, the Colecovision, the Vectrex, Atari 5200, and the Odyssey 2 (plus some other also-rans (??) that didn't have the same kind of exposure and marketshare). Later of course, they ended up in the same market as the NES, SMS, and Atari 7800, just because the system was available on the fringe for so long. I imagine there will be more comparisons being made as we go forward.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the podcast. One thing, though...Given the INTV's dreadful disc controller, you CANNOT spend like 10 minutes complaining about the ColecoVision controller and not even mention the far greater limitations of Mattel's design.

I have owned two Intellivisions, both of which I had to put away as unplayable, solely because of the controllers. Thankfully, I now can emulate the 12 or 15 games I really enjoy on this system.

The CV controller was not ideal but was nowhere near the debacle of the INTV controller.

Hi DoctorTom.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joystick / controller preferences are all subjective. Everyone prefers one over the other. That's the way it should be.

As I mentioned in the show, I had both systems when they came out, as a kid. That said, I preferred the Intellivision controller over the Colecovision controller. To me, it was more comfortable in the hand, and more responsive. Was it perfect? No way. The internal mylar circuit matrixes would wear out over time (especially if you tended to press TOO HARD on the disc). Small cracks would develop, and the controller wouldn't respond properly.

Also, maybe you were running into the "can't use the keypad and disc at the same time" issue we discussed, which, if you didn't know that was a system limitation, would lead you to believe the controller was defective. I'm guessing these things could have been what lead you to say that the system was "unplayable because of the controllers". And what do you consider to be the Intellivision controller's "far greater limitations"?

We don't HATE other systems. I really like the Colecovision. I still have the original system I bought in 1982, along with all the expansion modules. However, when I play it, I prefer using the Super Action controllers, simply because the joystick is much more responsive. I'll even use a 2600 joystick if it's a single button / non-keypad game before using the original system controller. The stubby stick of the original controller just didn't work well, in my opinion. In a game like Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle, you had to press UP or UP-RIGHT / UP-LEFT on the stick to jump. I can't tell you how many lives were lost simply because the joystick movement I was attempting to do didn't register.

And in games that used both side buttons, I found it very uncomfortable after a few minutes due to the placement of the side buttons, and the size and shape of the controller. Again, my opinion. I'm sure others didn't have a problem with it.

I know a lot of people dislike the Intellivision controller. That's fine. I, however, found it to be a good match for the system and it's games. It can cause your "disc thumb" to get sore after a while, and sometimes your fingers can also become a little tender after heavy side button use. But I don't know any controller around that doesn't cause similar symptoms.

So, on this issue, I guess we agree to disagree.

-Paul

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 2

I gave the podcast a listen over the weekend. I think you guys did a great job! I'm mostly an Atari guy because thats what I grew up on and is the bulk of my collecting. I have been getting into Intellivision slowly, and I'm sure I will find this podcast useful and informative to an Inty newbie like me

• Like 2

Ah that is the question. I think our original vision is for something close to monthly. Personally, I love making the show (I can talk about Intellivision any day, all day) and I'm hoping that once we get into a rhythm of how it gets made that we can get shows out a little more often than monthly. But we'll see.

Most of the burden of the show falls on Nurmix as he does all the sound mixing, editing, etc. So it really comes down to his time.

• Like 1

It might be nice to produce separate video segments outside of the main podcast for things like reviews, system comparisons, etc.

Something is in the works for a video companion to the reviews. I haven't even talked to Rick and William about it yet. That's how "breaking" this new is! Hahaha...

• Like 2

I also wanted to comment on something that was mentioned on the show. It is very true that I arrived to the community with absolutely no knowledge or experience in making Intellivision games, and that in just two short years I managed to complete my first game.

This is truly a testament to the very helpful programmer community already established. I am forever indebted to Joe Z., Arnauld, and others for the fantastic technical assistance they provided.

The design, artistic vision, and implementation (with very few exceptions) was completely mine, but the game would never have been completed without the technical guidance of others.

Oh, and by the way, yay! for mentioning my game. :)

dZ.

• Like 2

Heh, with all the back and forth we had during the beta testing period mentioning your game was almost a given! :) Your story with Carol really gives me hope about writing a game myself.

We're discussing whether to do a whole episode dedicated to the home-brew community and how that has worked or whether or not home-brew topics deserve a recurring segment in the show. There's so many directions we could take! We'd love to look all professional and planned out, but we may end up just going with what seems like a good idea and changing it up as we go.

• Like 1

Heh, with all the back and forth we had during the beta testing period mentioning your game was almost a given! :) Your story with Carol really gives me hope about writing a game myself.

We're discussing whether to do a whole episode dedicated to the home-brew community and how that has worked or whether or not home-brew topics deserve a recurring segment in the show. There's so many directions we could take! We'd love to look all professional and planned out, but we may end up just going with what seems like a good idea and changing it up as we go.

Sound like a plan! :)

If I may make a suggestion, it is to dedicate a full episode to the home-brew scene, to cover what has come before, and give homage to the legends: Joe, Arnauld, Carl, David, etc.; and to have an occasionally recurring segment where new home-brew developments are discussed, preferably with interviews with the authors.

That way you cover the historical home-brew scene and add context to the upcoming projects, while at the same time give exposure to new designers and publishers joining the scene. Plus, everyone loves to hear about new games!

Of course, whatever you come up with will work just fine. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

I also wanted to comment on something that was mentioned on the show. It is very true that I arrived to the community with absolutely no knowledge or experience in making Intellivision games, and that in just two short years I managed to complete my first game.This is truly a testament to the very helpful programmer community already established. I am forever indebted to Joe Z., Arnauld, and others for the fantastic technical assistance they provided.The design, artistic vision, and implementation (with very few exceptions) was completely mine, but the game would never have been completed without the technical guidance of others.Oh, and by the way, yay! for mentioning my game. :) dZ.

That's awesome. Great game too. And we had a good chat when I bought my copy at the last Classic Gaming Expo. In our next episode, we will mention your name, since we left it out of episode 1 when talking about your game! Doh!

• Like 1

That's awesome. Great game too. And we had a good chat when I bought my copy at the last Classic Gaming Expo. In our next episode, we will mention your name, since we left it out of episode 1 when talking about your game! Doh!

Haha! No worries! :)

I also wanted to comment on something that was mentioned on the show. It is very true that I arrived to the community with absolutely no knowledge or experience in making Intellivision games, and that in just two short years I managed to complete my first game. This is truly a testament to the very helpful programmer community already established. I am forever indebted to Joe Z., Arnauld, and others for the fantastic technical assistance they provided. The design, artistic vision, and implementation (with very few exceptions) was completely mine, but the game would never have been completed without the technical guidance of others. Oh, and by the way, yay! for mentioning my game. :) dZ.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the 1st episode thanks so much for all you effort truly was awesome.

If you guys could get some interviews with some of the people involved in the hardware design that would be awesome. If you could even find them unfortunately David Chandler passed away but there must be more people that were involved.

Would love to get as much info about the prototype Intellivision I and how it evolved into what we know and love. Also would love as much info as I can get on Intellivision III and IV.

Don't know if its possible to find the people but it would be cool if you did.

Again thank you. :)

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the 1st episode thanks so much for all you effort truly was awesome.

If you guys could get some interviews with some of the people involved in the hardware design that would be awesome. If you could even find them unfortunately David Chandler passed away but there must be more people that were involved.

Would love to get as much info about the prototype Intellivision I and how it evolved into what we know and love. Also would love as much info as I can get on Intellivision III and IV.

Don't know if its possible to find the people but it would be cool if you did.

Again thank you. :)

Great suggestions. I also want to hear about that stuff!

I've already talked with Keith Robinson, and have lined up several other interviews with former "Blue Sky Rangers", so keep listening and hopefully we will be able to grant your wishes!

Sound like a plan! :)

If I may make a suggestion, it is to dedicate a full episode to the home-brew scene, to cover what has come before, and give homage to the legends: Joe, Arnauld, Carl, David, etc.; and to have an occasionally recurring segment where new home-brew developments are discussed, preferably with interviews with the authors.

That way you cover the historical home-brew scene and add context to the upcoming projects, while at the same time give exposure to new designers and publishers joining the scene. Plus, everyone loves to hear about new games!

dZ.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Interviews are taking place and being arranged along those lines.. Nothing is set in stone as far as episode vs. segment, but I think you will like what we come up with.

• Like 1