IGNORED

Intellivisionaries podcast ep1 now available

Rick Reynolds

• 6 months later...

I'm tardy to this party, but I'm going back and listening to ALL the eps...okay, I like the COLECOVISION controller! if I still had one, I'd take a pic to show you the way I held it.

However, i've ALWAYS hated the ATARI controller.

I like the Super Action controllers. I never had a problem with the Atari joysticks though - although they could get a little uncomfortable after prolonged use. But that's true of even the Intellivision controllers.

wanna talk about uncomfortable? the Intellivision 2 controllers...those buttons on the side were so painful. All I can recall is LOVING Atlantis, but HATING the pain caused by the constant firing.

I completely agree. I detest the Intellivision II controllers. I only like the originals.

• Like 1

Me too. I recently had Michael Thomasson over from Good Deal Games. He was telling me that he hates the Intellivision controller. I told him that I was certain he just needed 'lessons' on how to hold the controller. When I showed him on one of my Intellivision units, I discovered that his REAL complaint was the side buttons, and he was shocked that the original had easy to press side buttons. He had chosen the Intellivision II over the Intellivision one because he thought that it was unwise to have hard wired controllers. Very interesting. I hope that the Intellivision Flashback units become a source of better controllers for the Intellivision II.

Maybe it would start a run on the popularity of the INTV II if it was hacked to support more GRAM and had better controllers?

• Like 1

Me too. I recently had Michael Thomasson over from Good Deal Games. He was telling me that he hates the Intellivision controller. I told him that I was certain he just needed 'lessons' on how to hold the controller. When I showed him on one of my Intellivision units, I discovered that his REAL complaint was the side buttons, and he was shocked that the original had easy to press side buttons. He had chosen the Intellivision II over the Intellivision one because he thought that it was unwise to have hard wired controllers. Very interesting. I hope that the Intellivision Flashback units become a source of better controllers for the Intellivision II.

Maybe it would start a run on the popularity of the INTV II if it was hacked to support more GRAM and had better controllers?

You know, I bet that's the reason a lot of people say they hate the Intellivision controllers - they played an Intellivision II.

And I like the way you're thinking with regard to 'upgrades' for the II... At least one of those things is highly likely.

Not really. They were saying that before the Intellivision 2 came out. I remember playing the Intellivision for the first time and thinking "Why the weird controller?" but I quickly adapted. Some ppl are just not willing to adapt.

True. But you're right, if you give it some time you get used to and learn to appreciate the controller.

I tried very hard to do that with the Colecovision controller, and had success with a lot of games. But any game that used both side action buttons quickly cramped my hand.

And the 'joy-stub' wasn't very responsive, either (I can't count how many times I 'died' jumping in SMURF, or making quick adjustments in Looping where the joy-stub just didn't register the direction I pressed).

I am going to mod one of mine with micro switches, as I've heard that greatly increases the responsiveness.

Until then, I use the Super Action controllers.

oh, that's not the controller. That's SMURF. There was alot of discussion about how that game had some glitches where you'd just trip over nothing. You can play it with an ATARI controller and still get screwed on that game. I liked SMURF, but jumping over fences was always chaotic and unpredictible.

I loved the Slither with Roller Controller!

oh, that's not the controller. That's SMURF. There was alot of discussion about how that game had some glitches where you'd just trip over nothing. You can play it with an ATARI controller and still get screwed on that game. I liked SMURF, but jumping over fences was always chaotic and unpredictible.

I loved the Slither with Roller Controller!

Yeah, why they thought pushing up or up diagonally was a better idea than using the side button(s) to jump is beyond me.

The Roller Controller is great. Mine is a little noisy, but it plays very well. Too bad more games weren't specifically designed for it.