IGNORED

EA Cancelling NCAA Football next year

Tickled_Pink

It's not a game we get over here and I hadn't heard of it until today but it seems that EA are cancelling NCAA Football from next year because of legal disputes with players and ex-players. For once, it doesn't seem to be EA's fault. It looks like the governing body of the sport, who provide the license to EA, have been greedy and kept all the money for themselves despite the game using player likenesses. So a couple of players have sued EA because they haven't seen a penny from the use of their likenesses in the game.

With FIFA, for instance, the licensing of the players used in the game would be handled by FIFPro and I'd be surprised if there wasn't some agreement between the players and FIFPro for how the cash would be used. I haven't played PES for a few years but I remember in its early days they never bothered to get licenses for player names or likenesses from FIFPro, so all player names were made up but were often still recognisable. Used to make me cringe whenever I heard the commentator call out the name Giggly instead of Giggs.

There was always a possibility for EA to follow the approach of early PES but, if you follow the particular sport represented by the game you're buying, you're not going to want that.

As far as I'm concerned, EA should have done a PES style game with NCAA football. These are students. And until they hit pro, they're nothing more than students. Their likeness and names should never have been used at all.

Just my opinion.

Either way, long time coming for EA. Not saying it's their fault, but it's nice to see karma biting them in the butt.

• Like 2

It's actually a very complicated case that involves several former student-athletes attempting to sue for a share of the profits from various NCAA ventures. NCAA Football was just a casualty.

I actually preferred NCAA to Madden as it always had a bit more heart to it, like mascot mode. This is definitely a shame and I'll be picking up NCAA 14 (last version is 10 so time for me to get a new one). EA tried to fight this off by not including player names (but it did replicate their stats accurately) but I guess that wasn't enough.

Oh well. I still prefer to play my NCAA 06/Madden 06 combo on regular Xbox anyway.

The short version is in the US some people get athletic scholarships to attend universities. When they get the athletic scholarship they waive the right to get a job while they're in school and their school and NCAA can use their name and likeness however they want for the rest of time. Back in the day it wasn't such a big deal but now with the billions of dollars in tv contracts that university sports in the US generate it's a bit of a scam.

If you want the really really long version it's here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/308643/

Greedy college athletes and they're lawyers just cost a lot of good people their jobs and killed a 20 year old franchise. Way to go.

Greed is rife in sports for sure, but I can see it the other way too. It's hard to turn your back on hundreds of millions of dollars being made in your name without you getting a cut.

• Like 1

I saw this article today and I'm a little confused -- EA sports games always have the NEXT year on their name. For example, Madden 2014 is the one that came out in 2013. So this mean that the current NCAA Football game IS NCAA 2014 and it will still be sold. But there won't be a game next year.

Am I understanding this right? :?

And yeah, I share the feelings of others. Say what you want about EA, Madden and NCAA have been favs of mine for years and it sucks. EA is saying the people will be transferred so no jobs lost, but we lost outr'official' college football game.