RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Magazine - KICKSTARTER

143 replies to this topic

#1 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• 1,516 posts

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013 11:38 AM

Hey Everyone,

GameGavel and the RetroGamingRoundup Podcast are preparing to launch a Kickstarter to create a brand new print and digital magazine that will feature columns from some of the most notable video gaming journalists and personalities from the past three decades.  The plan is to also have the digital magazine integrate with auction listings on GameGavel to help bring in more people to buy and sell.   Should be a great combination.  Also, talking with Play N Trade about national magazine distribution.  The Kickstarter will go live very soon!  Hope to have your support!

Magazine Sizzle Video:  http://youtu.be/5MGmtzm6Pp4

Edited by Parrothead, Tue Oct 1, 2013 11:42 AM.

#2 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:07 AM

WBH parrothead....don't leave it so long next time....hows CTCW (GG) going these days

Anyways, your m/f retro gig, will that only concentrate on the US market or will it have sections dealing with the various international markets like europe/uk as well as asia/japan etc

#3 HARMIK OFFLINE  

HARMIK

Moonsweeper

• 398 posts

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013 3:12 AM

Just backed :)

#4 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,516 posts

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 PM

Hey Guys,

We are nearing the 1/2 way mark of our RETRO Magazine Kickstarter campaign.  We need everyone's support who might like to get a new print or digital gaming magazine filled with some great legendary contributors.  We have just confirmed that Ed Semrad,  long time Editor in Chief from EGM's heyday will essentially be coming out of retirement to contribute to RETRO!

Here is a link to our campaign page again and really appreciate all your support and backing!  Thanks for your consideration!

http://www.kickstart...ideo-game-magaz

Edited by Parrothead, Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:06 PM.

#5 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 3,044 posts

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:33 PM

I'm in!

#6 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,516 posts

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:46 PM

I'm in!

Hey Thanks!

#7 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 3,474 posts

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 PM

Just backed for $35. The bumper sticker got me. :)

The content BETTER stay retro!

Edited by RJ, Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 PM.

#8 Hyperboy OFFLINE  

Hyperboy

Stargunner

• 1,441 posts

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 PM

Just backed @ $35

#9 chrisbid OFFLINE  

chrisbid

Quadrunner

• 5,655 posts

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:41 PM

I dropped 30 for a subscription.

With most KS projects you can tell pretty quickly if they are going to be successful. This one looks like it will be a nail biter. I hope the momentum will take you over the finish line.

#10 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 3,474 posts

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:26 PM

Congrats on getting over the hump!

#11 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,516 posts

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Come on in and Like our Facebook page for a chance to win a RetroN 5!

http://www.faceitpag...QM_iEg.facebook

#12 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 5,471 posts

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 PM

I pledged 3.00 to the magazine love classic gaming mags

#13 RangerG OFFLINE  

RangerG

River Patroller

• 2,495 posts

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 PM

Just pledged, I like the initial issue print and then digital package. I hope the publicity here on AtariAge gets more pledges, it got me icon_winking.gif.

Edited by RangerG, Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 PM.

#14 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Just dropped $30. After seeing that murderer's row of contributors, how could I not?

#15 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,516 posts

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:13 PM

Thanks for the recent pledges and to Albert for promoting on AA homepage.  We will be covering Atari news in RETRO so keep the pledges coming!  Our entire team appreciates it!

- Mike

#16 Gregory DG ONLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 10,944 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 PM

Looks nice!

Please use a large-enough font so us old farts can read it. The tiny "caption size" font that Retro Gamer and Game Informer use is killin' me.

#17 atariLBC OFFLINE  

atariLBC

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:33 PM

I just backed this. I haven't had a game magazine subscription since Next Generation stopped running. I hope that you get the support you need to make this happen. Best of luck!

#18 thevnaguy ONLINE  

thevnaguy

Moonsweeper

• 475 posts
  • Nuts about my Colecovision!

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:58 AM

Its going to be a awesome mag!

#19 tremoloman2006 OFFLINE  

tremoloman2006

Stargunner

• 1,664 posts

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 AM

I'm in for $35 - can't wait for it to come out and thank you Mike for putting all your hard work into this!

#20 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,516 posts

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:51 PM

I'm in for $35 - can't wait for it to come out and thank you Mike for putting all your hard work into this!

Thanks! Even though I am the Publisher,  I am just as excited as everyone else to read this magazine!  We can't wait to start working on it!

Edited by Parrothead, Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:52 PM.

#21 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,277 posts

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 PM

Just did a pledge.

#22 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 5,471 posts

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:35 PM

even though I didn't put in enough to cover for print and digital,hopefully I can snag a digital read when its done.

I have to cut back for while  due to my situation changing next year

#23 raindog OFFLINE  

raindog

Stargunner

• 1,704 posts

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:58 PM

Well, you did it... got me to make my first Kickstarter pledge. (I've used Pledgemusic before, but not KS.) With this team I couldn't pass it up. Fingers crossed and hoping for success.

#24 Serious OFFLINE  

Serious

Dragonstomper

• 939 posts
  • WTB: Manuals for 2600 Espial and Stronghold

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:09 AM

Good video game magazines have been a big part of the fun of gaming for me since 1982, and this looks like it will be a good one.

I am backing this project at the $80 level. 1 year of no fees for selling on GameGavel is a great perk. (and there are only 6 spots at this level remaining).

#25 Parrothead OFFLINE  

Parrothead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,516 posts

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 PM

Good video game magazines have been a big part of the fun of gaming for me since 1982, and this looks like it will be a good one.

I am backing this project at the $80 level. 1 year of no fees for selling on GameGavel is a great perk. (and there are only 6 spots at this level remaining).

Hey Thanks!  We still need tons of support!  Here is a more in-depth magazine focus:

RETRO will feature coverage of games from every era, including classic gaming systems, current and next generation consoles and upcoming independently funded projects, with an emphasis on:

• Extensive retrospectives on classic consoles and the games (and ill-fated add-ons) that made them famous.
  • RETRO reviews of classic games across countless genres.
  • Reviews of current generation products with a focus on franchise reboots, games with classic licensing tie-ins and modern games that build on 8, 16 and 32-bit gaming's core principles.
  • In-depth interviews with modern-day icons, our industry's founding fathers and up-and-coming developers of games with old-school sensibilities.
  • Roundtable discussions with some of gaming's most respected personalities, including RETRO's own panel of revered contributors.
  • Monthly "Top 10"-style features on the best games, consoles and moments in gaming history.
  • In-depth news regarding the latest reboots, industry icons getting back into the business, hot indie games and Kickstarter projects and a dash of current generation information
  • Lifestyle pieces on gaming gear, industry conventions, licensing tie-ins other entertainment mediums and other random nerdiness.
  • Columns from some of the industry's top journalists, developers and video game personalities.
  • Reader interaction and feedback via polls, reader mail, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.
  • Extensive guides and game-busting cheats on those titles you still never got around to beating.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users