OFF-TOPIC

1802 replies to this topic

#1776 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Moonsweeper

• 491 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:20 AM

here's what the entry says below the pic on the website:

"From arcadeshopper: I am going to start building these in small quantities, my price is about double the original due to the increased costs due to small quantity and my labor costs."

#1777 jedimatt42 ONLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,208 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 AM

When demand was high, I was buying parts in $500 batches. That volume gave me significant price breaks and diluted the overhead of shipping costs from 4 vendors for the components.

I haven't built one since April. At that point, I had built about 120 units. Which is close to where I estimate the market limit is.

At Fest West last April, I actually handed over my surplus of edge connectors to Greg. And all the design files are up on my website and github. The board is also shared on OSHPark.

I just don't believe I would recover my costs if I bought another batch at volume.

So anyone can build their own. But I am thankful Greg is willing to build these in the current, low demand state.

-M@

#1778 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,469 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 AM

THis HAS to be a mistake... right?  Has the price of the 32K sidecar actually DOUBLED in price!?!  My video, which is being used on the site mentions the price as $35.00 plus the cost of shipping.

And thanks for posting your gripe publicly before talking to me or even reading the store description

You go right ahead and buy the boards and parts and build them for 35ea. I'll even resell them for you.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#1779 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,362 posts

Posted Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 PM

And thanks for posting your gripe publicly before talking to me or even reading the store description

Gripe?  No, just taken off-guard. I totally understand to pricing.  Everyone deserves to get paid for their time and effort.  Regardless, if you are going to continue linking to my video, please use this link:  

I removed a couple of seconds (the old pricing) so it's now up-to-date for you.

• RXB likes this

#1780 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,469 posts

Posted Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 PM

Gripe?  No, just taken off-guard. I totally understand to pricing.  Everyone deserves to get paid for their time and effort.  Regardless, if you are going to continue linking to my video, please use this link:  

I removed a couple of seconds (the old pricing) so it's now up-to-date for you.

Ahh k, well next time, email me.. I'll be happy to respond and let you know what is up.  I realize that I have a sore spot for people posting in the forum that something doesn't work or isn't what they expected without talking to the maker/vendor/seller first. It happens too often :( and most of the time it's a PBKAC error.    I'll adjust the video tho thanks! And I'm talking with someone who wants to take over building for a cheaper rate. 

Greg

#1781 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 AM

I'm in Vienna, Virginia today (have been past couple of days) and am done with work. I have things to do at 5pm but am free for the rest of the day until then. Any of you in the area want to hang and geek out on TI stuff or whatever?

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 AM.

#1782 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,313 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 AM

I'm in Vienna, Virginia today (have been past couple of days) and am done with work. I have things to do at 5pm but am free for the rest of the day until then. Any of you in the area want to hang and geek out on TI stuff or whatever?

Would love to, but I'm an hour and a half north of you.  Perhaps will see you at Da Faire.

...lee

#1783 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,126 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 PM

You're actually pretty local to me right now, @sinphaltimus, as I'm about 25 miles away from you (south and a bit east). . .but work has kept me massively busy this week, unfortunately.

#1784 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,726 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 PM

I noticed that the price of TI consoles on Ebay has been increasing steadily despite a deluge of offerings. What happened to the laws of supply and demand???

#1785 Mitkraft OFFLINE  

Mitkraft

Dragonstomper

• 540 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:33 PM

I noticed that the price of TI consoles on Ebay has been increasing steadily despite a deluge of offerings. What happened to the laws of supply and demand???

Is this a notice of SOLD prices or ASKING prices?  Because you know what they say: Asking aint getting!

#1786 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,726 posts

Posted Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:55 PM

Asking prices. But still! I doubt many are buying...

#1787 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,510 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:31 PM

Just for your information, I'll be away from keyboard until Aug 25 for a trip to Mongolia.

They said there is no guarantee for Internet access in the Ger camps ... so this is going to be like the good old vacations where you probably considered writing post cards. If you found some time, that is.

Back from Mongolia, safe and sound. Give me some time to catch up with the news - we indeed had no Internet connection for the last 16 days, not even mobile phone.

#1788 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,362 posts

Posted Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 PM

These are definitely off-topic, but some of these are kinda neat...

#1789 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,510 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:53 PM

Back from Mongolia, safe and sound. Give me some time to catch up with the news - we indeed had no Internet connection for the last 16 days, not even mobile phone.

Here's a panorama view with one of our ger (yurt) camps, third from the left, and Kharkhorin on the right side, being the modern Karakorum that was founded by Genghis Khan in 1220 AD.

(one of 14 camps that we visited)

Attached Files

#1790 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,362 posts

Posted Tue Sep 5, 2017 4:10 PM

Since I've not been around here much lately, I've setup AtariAge to send an email to my cellphone when someone sends me a PM or leaves a message in my blog.  

#1791 schmitzi OFFLINE  

schmitzi

River Patroller

• 3,814 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:15 PM

The window is frozen and FireFox is unable to exit properly   :lol:

Attached File  Firefox-Windows-problem.jpg   35.72KB   0 downloads

#1792 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 AM

so I'm taking a UDEMY course to learn C# in the Unity game engine. As as part of this week's lesson, I created my first ever text based adventure.

You'll need a web browser that has support for and will let you install the Unity Web Player. Sometime tomorrow I'll have a WebGL version that doesn't need the webplayer - it requires Unity 5 for me to build it and that's going to take the rest of today to download.

Anyway, it only takes about 3-4 minutes to complete if you want to check it out...

https://gamebucket.i...5d-655a3b6a5840

#1793 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:58 PM

I've also been busy on other things today - http://eab.abime.net...133#post1185133

#1794 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,362 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 PM

Testing the Zello Walkie Talkie for Android phones. Channel is. TI99

#1795 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 AM

so I'm taking a UDEMY course to learn C# in the Unity game engine. As as part of this week's lesson, I created my first ever text based adventure.

You'll need a web browser that has support for and will let you install the Unity Web Player. Sometime tomorrow I'll have a WebGL version that doesn't need the webplayer - it requires Unity 5 for me to build it and that's going to take the rest of today to download.

Anyway, it only takes about 3-4 minutes to complete if you want to check it out...

https://gamebucket.i...5d-655a3b6a5840

So if installing plugins isn't your thing (UNity Web Player) and you don't want to be concerned with what browser you use, here is a WebGL version that doesn't require any installed add-on and will work in any browser (modern).

https://gamebucket.i...94-a29e44da0042

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 AM.

#1796 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 PM

Power Switch Help.

I thought I was purchasing a simple push button on/off 12v switch I could use for an ATX power supply. 

There are connections on the bottom of this thing I can't figure out.

I just don't know this stuff or how all of this gets connected.

I have a ground wire to attach and a +12v to attach. This simple circuit just needs to be turned on and off (opened and closed) with the push of a button.

With working LED.

Where do I connect the two wires and to how many terminals?

There are 5 of them,

NC

NO

C

LED

A

This is the switch I ordered.
https://www.amazon.c...#productDetails

No idea how to connect it.

Attached File  20170916_154015.jpg   1.12MB   0 downloads

EDIT: I think I found my answer - watching now.

EDIT!: Made a stupid mistake. On/Off is Comm/Ground, I need to add a +12V line to the LED.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:27 PM.

#1797 RodLightning OFFLINE  

RodLightning

Dragonstomper

• 555 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:42 PM

A momentary switch would be better if you are just wanting to trigger the psu to turn on/off.  Yellow wire on ATX is +12vdc to run your LED.  Green wire touched for a second or so to a black ground wire will trigger the power to come on.  Please forgive if you know this already :P

Edited by RodLightning, Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:42 PM.

#1798 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 692 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:47 PM

If the Youtube video didn't answer, there are wiring details as the last photo on the Amazon page you link to.

C = Common

NO = Normally Open. This connects to C when you push the button.

NC = Normally Closed. This is normally connected to C, and disconnects when you press the button.

LED = +12V supply for LED.

A  = GND connection for LED.

If you're trying to power up an ATX PSU, you need to connect the green wire on the PSU connector to any of the black wires. So green (/PS_ON) to switch NO and black (COM) to switch C. Assuming you want to light the LED when the PSU is on, you then need yellow (+12V) to switch LED and black (COM) again to switch A.

Edited by Stuart, Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:51 PM.

#1799 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 692 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:50 PM

A momentary switch would be better if you are just wanting to trigger the psu to turn on/off.  Yellow wire on ATX is +12vdc to run your LED.  Green wire touched for a second or so to a black ground wire will trigger the power to come on.  Please forgive if you know this already :P

I think this may vary by PSU (or possibly by circuitry on the motherboard). For the ATX PSUs that I've tinkered with it will come on when you touch green to black and then turn off as soon as you disconnect green from black.

#1800 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,922 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:57 PM

If the Youtube video didn't answer, there are wiring details as the last photo on the Amazon page you link to.

C = Common

NO = Normally Open. This connects to C when you push the button.

NC = Normally Closed. This is normally connected to C, and disconnects when you press the button.

LED = +12V supply for LED.

A  = GND connection for LED.

If you're trying to power up an ATX PSU, you need to connect the green wire on the PSU connector to any of the black wires. So green (/PS_ON) to switch NO and black (COM) to switch C. Assuming you want to light the LED when the PSU is on, you then need yellow (+12V) to switch LED and black (COM) again to switch A.

Thank you Stuart. I got the on off PSU working fine (C + NO) with the green and black wires. I'll feed a GND and +12 to the LED and A post.

:)

EDIT: Here's another Bonus - I'm going to follow up on the Amig Forums for this one.

The PSU has a Purple +3VSB which menas it feeds +3v all the time even when PSU is off. My Real Time Battery backed up clock runs off a 3V button cell (CR2032) - so I'm wondering if I can power my RTC from the PSU instead of the button cell.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OFF-TOPIC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users