OT: pɐǝɹɥʇ ƃuıdɯnp ;)

OFF-TOPIC

1898 replies to this topic

#1801 RodLightning OFFLINE  

RodLightning

Dragonstomper

• 640 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:48 PM

I think this may vary by PSU (or possibly by circuitry on the motherboard). For the ATX PSUs that I've tinkered with it will come on when you touch green to black and then turn off as soon as you disconnect green from black.

Yeh..think you're right.  I usually keep a wire stuck into the connector between green and a black wires when I am using one as a bench supply. :)

#1802 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,003 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:32 PM

OK, next Questions - 

0.36Ohm with 32W dissipation. <--- how do I translate that in to a physical purchase?

SOURCE:
http://www.amibay.co...ATX-PSU-adapter

#1803 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 713 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:26 PM

OK, next Questions - 

0.36Ohm with 32W dissipation. <--- how do I translate that in to a physical purchase?

SOURCE:[/size]
http://www.amibay.co...ATX-PSU-adapter

There are various designs of ATX power supply and some need a minimal load and others don't (or need a minimal load on a different rail). I'd be inclined to connect it up and measure the voltages and see if they're OK and your board works - your board may provide the minimal load required. If you need a bit of load on the +5V and +12V rails, connecting an old hard drive and just let it sit there spinning away should work.

Edited by Stuart, Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:34 PM.

#1804 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,003 posts

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:12 AM

Once again, I need some help...

#1805 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,003 posts

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 PM

And here's what I received from the board designer of the Vampire. Perhaps I need not worry at all.

"Ok here is what is going on and we did know about that long time ago since earlier versions of Vampire cards build for team members. There is back current from HDMI who is going back to Amiga motherboard. Somewhere around 5V and 50mA. That is happening because HDMi is powered directly from Amiga power supply so from 5V, however same voltage is present but with small amount of current on and HDMI device Tv set, amplifier or whatever. That current is low and won't damage anything that's why we didn't fix that. You can experiment for example to plugin HDMI then remove Vampire card from Amiga and you will see LED on Vampire lights up. power from HDMI is too weak to be used as power supply. Same thing you see when you use devices like TV box powered by android who connects on HDMI but takes power either from USB in same TV set or from external supply.
This voltage comes from pin 18 on HDMI and from there goes directly to Amiga VCC. This can be solved by placing diode between them BAT 60 or something like that. Since at the time I didn't even add LVDS shifters to create "real" HDMI and also didn't include plugin detection or I2C. This design we have regarding video out gone more that I ever expected that is possible."

#1806 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:34 PM

A three pronged outlet is kind of like a two pronged outlet because the ground is shared with the neutral line.  Check your breaker box, you'll see for yourself.  With this in mind, when converting AC to DC it makes no difference how it's plugged in.

It's obvious you have a shared ground with all that stuff, but since current is completing the circuit, from the HDMI device, you could always hack the power lines and insert diodes on both, so current only flows in one direction.  

#1807 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,003 posts

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:49 PM

A three pronged outlet is kind of like a two pronged outlet because the ground is shared with the neutral line.  Check your breaker box, you'll see for yourself.  With this in mind, when converting AC to DC it makes no difference how it's plugged in.

It's obvious you have a shared ground with all that stuff, but since current is completing the circuit, from the HDMI device, you could always hack the power lines and insert diodes on both, so current only flows in one direction.  

Could I just cut the 5v line and drop in this? - 

https://solarbotics.com/product/dz5_1/

In reality I would probably make a small adapter HDMI straight through with a diode on pin 18. Just not sure what kind of diode rating I should be looking for.

Like two of these for the adaptor - http://www.mouser.co....xoCc_QQAvD_BwE

#1808 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 AM

Yeah, that looks right.  I like your adapter idea as well.

#1809 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:12 AM

Clash of the Titans... this will be interesting....  Qualcomm -vs- Apple

#1810 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 AM

I was going through a bunch of photos getting ready to delete a bunch of stuff when I spotted "Space 1999" and thought, "What the heck"?  Why would I have taken a photo of a TV related SciFi show?  Turned out to be " 'My space'... in 1999".

I really don't miss those old CRT monitors!

Attached Files

#1811 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,003 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 AM

For some cl

Could I just cut the 5v line and drop in this? - 

https://solarbotics.com/product/dz5_1/

In reality I would probably make a small adapter HDMI straight through with a diode on pin 18. Just not sure what kind of diode rating I should be looking for.

Like two of these for the adaptor - http://www.mouser.co....xoCc_QQAvD_BwE

For closure on this, the Vampire board developer assured me I do not have to do anything. Just leave it as is, nothing bad will happen.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 AM.

#1812 Mitkraft ONLINE  

Mitkraft

Dragonstomper

• 566 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 AM

I was going through a bunch of photos getting ready to delete a bunch of stuff when I spotted "Space 1999" and thought, "What the heck"?  Why would I have taken a photo of a TV related SciFi show?  Turned out to be " 'My space'... in 1999".

I really don't miss those old CRT monitors!

I miss them a little bit (ok, well not completely since I still have a couple).  Those Viewsonic monitors were gorgeous!  I had some at work and the first monitor I really splurged on was a Viewsonic 19" short throw monitor which is actually still working after all these years.  I had it in an arcade machine for several years and like a dummy I tossed the case though.  I also still have a couple of those beige keyboard drawer risers.  I think they've finally made it to the "get rid of" pile though.

#1813 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:49 PM

If you're an OM into CW and like DIY projects, you might like <<  this USB project >> for your PC.

#1814 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 11:26 AM

Nobody want's an unusable man-cave / game room / den so in prep...

I got an  :idea: idea about winter and the upcoming possibility of a power outage.  Since I currently have 186 minutes of overhead on my UPS, I figured I could afford to divert a few watts towards lighting to stay out of the dark.  << THIS LIGHT BULB >> looks like it'll do the job, with only a 4 watt draw... as needed.   Now I gotta find a decent lamp for the bulb...

#1815 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,814 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:21 PM

If you're an OM into CW and like DIY projects, you might like <<  this USB project >> for your PC.

Totally cool and very doable on the TI by the way. Just connect the key to one of the joystick pins and the rest is just software. Might even be possible to use XB or RXB. I'll file that under my projects wish list 😊

#1816 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:43 AM

What could be... will probably never be... 

Have you ever really, really, really wanted something so badly for years, and now more so because of recent hardware advances that now make it very possible... but know in your heart it will never happen because the TI's user base is too small?

#1817 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 724 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 5:44 PM

What could be... will probably never be... 

Have you ever really, really, really wanted something so badly for years, and now more so because of recent hardware advances that now make it very possible... but know in your heart it will never happen because the TI's user base is too small?

so whatcha mean?

#1818 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 7:56 PM

so whatcha mean?

I had a true DOS in mind.  With the FinalGROM it would be possible to have a killer DOS in that thing.  

#1819 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 7:25 AM

Don't freak when you see the pricing on this TI-99/4A stuff... it's not US Dollars...

https://listado.merc...com.ar/ti-99-4a

#1820 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 7:53 AM

First time I've even seen this version of the Chess cartridge manual.  Is it just the book, or is the actual game in a different language too?  

Attached Files

#1821 Ksarul ONLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,236 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 8:13 AM

Only the manual is in Spanish for the Chess cartridge. I just pulled mine out to check. . .the pictures inside show the English screens (for the 99/4) and explain what to do in Spanish.

#1822 Ksarul ONLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,236 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 8:18 AM

By the way, look carefully at the keyboard on this one. . .specifically the keytops on the right side. Notice the difference?

#1823 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,623 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:21 AM

Oh ... What ASCII code was the tilde-n mapped to? (Hmm ... and where are colon and semicolon now?)

Now that's not fair. We always had to type brackets and braces for the umlaute, like in "Viele Gr}¦e!"

Edited by mizapf, Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:23 AM.

#1824 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,730 posts

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:46 AM

THE GOOD NEWS:  You've had two whole unexpected days off from work!

THE BAD NEWS :  You've been really sick, so you can't enjoy the time off or your TI.

#1825 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 724 posts

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 AM

THE GOOD NEWS:  You've had two whole unexpected days off from work!

THE BAD NEWS :  You've been really sick, so you can't enjoy the time off or your TI.

boo! i hope you feel better soon.

i hate when im really sick for that SAME REASON.  you're home and not working, but you feel so crappy you don't want to do anything *fun*.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OFF-TOPIC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users