OT: pɐǝɹɥʇ ƃuıdɯnp ;)

OFF-TOPIC

1979 replies to this topic

#1926 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 922 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 6:31 PM

my thought on it tho is that if the general populace isn't used to the weather or being in it, better to do that than have some dumbass that 'knows how to drive' (as an example) hurt someone else.

#1927 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,295 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:46 PM

Yep, one of those idiots who thought he knew how to drive on snow was speeding and sideswiped the bus that my niece and her two sons were on up in Indiana yesterday. The fool knocked the bus into the ditch. . .stayed at the scene for a few minutes, and then lit out of there like a bat out of hell. My niece was stuck with the rest of the bus passengers for seven hours or so before Greyhound finally retrieved them--with a school bus that just dropped them off at the nearest bus station, where they had to wait a couple more hours for a bus to take them to their original destination--Pittsburgh. They're OK, which is the important thing, but it totally messed up her travel plan. . .

#1928 iliketurtles OFFLINE  

iliketurtles

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 7:55 PM

OH GOD he was definitely an idiot. At least my mom wont drive there on the snow...

#1929 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,366 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:31 PM

Damn... they must grow wimps in Florida. Sounds like an average winter day to me.

They ain't used to anything slicker than wet shell roads, and them are slick! Big problem is no one here is ready for this degree of cold.  I grew up in it so I have habits which will compensate for the short duration, no problem.

It was a bit of a culture shock for me to see people start bundling up and complaining about the cold around 50 degrees.  Even into the upper 50s people complain.  I remember at 60 degrees we would run around in the sprinklers.  But it is a completely different climate around here.

Let me tell you how my favorite thing to be asked when it's 53 outside and I am in shorts: "Ain't you cold?"  No, ma'am, I am not.

Yep, one of those idiots who thought he knew how to drive on snow was speeding and sideswiped the bus that my niece and her two sons were on up in Indiana yesterday. The fool knocked the bus into the ditch. . .stayed at the scene for a few minutes, and then lit out of there like a bat out of hell. My niece was stuck with the rest of the bus passengers for seven hours or so before Greyhound finally retrieved them--with a school bus that just dropped them off at the nearest bus station, where they had to wait a couple more hours for a bus to take them to their original destination--Pittsburgh. They're OK, which is the important thing, but it totally messed up her travel plan. . .

Glad to hear they are okay.  We have a bunch of yahoos like that around here but in a different climate: I swear when it rains people forget how to drive, or at least what little bit about driving they knew before.

When I was a school boy up north we used to get bused into town.  On the way in we would count the number of cars in the ditch and almost every bloody one of them had out-of-state tags.  Not to say NoDaks are perfect on icy roads but to a large degree they are at least experienced, like dem Minnesootans.  Of course, it matters little from where you hail when you hit that black ice... summabitch.

#1930 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,937 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 9:55 PM

Of course, it matters little from where you hail when you hit that black ice... summabitch.

True!  Even with a light foot on the brake pedal, when the anti-lock kicks in, those pulsations sure wake you up quick on that early morning drive to work though.

On another note:  If you guys catch the flu this year and the cough is still hanging on after a week and a half, go see a doctor.  Mine managed to work it's way into pneumonia.  No reason for you guys to go through that. 

#1931 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 922 posts

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:49 AM

True!  Even with a light foot on the brake pedal, when the anti-lock kicks in, those pulsations sure wake you up quick on that early morning drive to work though.

On another note:  If you guys catch the flu this year and the cough is still hanging on after a week and a half, go see a doctor.  Mine managed to work it's way into pneumonia.  No reason for you guys to go through that. 

Absolutely- I've been there and it 'aint no fun'.  My wife harasses me to go to the doc equally as much as I harass her ;)

#1932 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,777 posts

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 6:07 AM

very nice!  it is a balmy 3 F (-16 C) in the frigid wasteland of the US Midwest.

I'd actually prefer some lower temperatures and maybe some snow (not to cause traffic problems, that is). Just to get that winter feeling. 16°C is more than we have in October or March at some times, and it reminds us that year averages are getting higher all the time. I say average, not everyday temperatures.

#1933 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,366 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 11:17 AM

It happened :)

Ice and snow accumulation on railroad tracks in Tallahassee

#1934 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,923 posts

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 11:49 AM

It's not unusual for the cough to linger on for 2-3 weeks after a viral illness because the virus affects the lining of your airways temporarily. As long as you have no fever or difficulty breathing, you should be fine and there is no need to rush to the doctor :) Unfortunately, many patients are very unhappy when they go see their doctor and he/she does not prescribe anything because it's viral, and so they go and file negative feedback reports on said doctor. The consequence of this is that many doctors just go ahead and prescribe antibiotics whether you truly need it or not because for many their compensation level depends on patient satisfaction. And guess what: you do get better regardless, so everybody is a winner... Screwy system that has gone way overboard. 

Not to say of course that you did not really have pneumonia Omega :)

#1935 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,937 posts

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 12:12 PM

Well, the X-ray told the truth, they wanted to admit me, but not having any medical insurance, I went home.

#1936 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,923 posts

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:28 PM

Not sure why they wanted to admit you for a community acquired pneumonia unless you had some significant pathology on your CXR like a lung abscess or you were having respiratory distress. I take it that you didn't have either since you are still lurking around here  :grin: Simple amoxicillin will usually do the trick just fine in most cases.

Have you tried applying for Obamacare? My daughter is on it because she is still in college finishing nursing school but is over 26yo (27y) and so no longer qualifies to be under my insurance. Her premiums are $25/month only.  Had this option not been available, we would be paying close to a $1000/month to get her basic coverage. Thank you President Obama!

In any case, I truly hope you get better soon!

#1937 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,366 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:53 PM

Thank you President Obama!

You are welcome.

#1938 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,366 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:02 PM

I did not think this merited its own thread or blog post.

Tursi had the idea of connecting one of the little LCD screens I demonstrated at the Faire to the TI using the 12V power supply available at the video port.  So I made a connector to do so.  in the interest of full disclosure, it took me three tries because I kept forgetting something which needed to go around the wire before the connections were soldered: shrink wrap, cover, whatever.

A while back I picked up a 5-pin universal video cable.  Each color does something different for each computer.  In our case of the TI the yellow is video, black is audio, and white is +12V.

It works quite well and has become a temporary testing rig.  I am going to make a permanent kit with a 5-pin DIN.

Attached File  DSC02577.JPG   2.43MB   1 downloads

#1939 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,130 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 2:02 PM

So I noticed Jeff_HxC2001 is active on Atari Age (Amiga section).

I PM'ed him about the HxC firmware for GoTek and I think he is going to implement TI-99/4a . dsk support as a result.

:)

We shall see, only time will tell. Here is his actual response:

Spoiler

#1940 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 922 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 4:18 PM

i'm getting a new laptop for work (they're like unicorns)- usually the naming convention is  sitename-xxxx (where x is the next available machine name in Active Directory).

Since I'm configuring my own machine I've decided that my machine number is going to be 9900 in honor of the TI ;)  

#1941 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,130 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:46 PM

I did not think this merited its own thread or blog post.

Tursi had the idea of connecting one of the little LCD screens I demonstrated at the Faire to the TI using the 12V power supply available at the video port.  So I made a connector to do so.  in the interest of full disclosure, it took me three tries because I kept forgetting something which needed to go around the wire before the connections were soldered: shrink wrap, cover, whatever.

A while back I picked up a 5-pin universal video cable.  Each color does something different for each computer.  In our case of the TI the yellow is video, black is audio, and white is +12V.

It works quite well and has become a temporary testing rig.  I am going to make a permanent kit with a 5-pin DIN.

attachicon.gifDSC02577.JPG

I imagine  if the lcd can take HDMI then your connector would still work on a TI with f18a?

So coming from the TI video port we have the audio channel and the 12v being used (obviously not the video rca since...f18a)

#1942 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,366 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:05 PM

I imagine  if the lcd can take HDMI then your connector would still work on a TI with f18a?

So coming from the TI video port we have the audio channel and the 12v being used (obviously not the video rca since...f18a)

Not HDMI, but SVGA for the F18A.  These little monitors are only composite.  There are small SVGA and HDMI monitors on the market (smallest I have seen is 8") but I think most of them would over-draw the 12V.  I have seen a couple which will work from 5V 1A~1.5A, meaning a good USB power source could run them (I am eventually going to grab one to play SNES and Sega HD off a 26.8Ah USB pack :) )

#1943 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,533 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:18 PM

Does anyone have a copy of this? I remember typing it in a loooong time ago.

Attached File  hotrod.jpg   33.27KB   1 downloads

I found the image here: http://ti99.atspace.co.uk/ 

#1944 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,130 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:30 PM

Not HDMI, but SVGA for the F18A.  These little monitors are only composite.  There are small SVGA and HDMI monitors on the market (smallest I have seen is 8") but I think most of them would over-draw the 12V.  I have seen a couple which will work from 5V 1A~1.5A, meaning a good USB power source could run them (I am eventually going to grab one to play SNES and Sega HD off a 26.8Ah USB pack :) )

Of course, I'm spoiled because I have an SVGA to HDMI on my TI and forget it's not HDMI native, so the same question but SVGA, I guess the answer is yes, it would work?

#1945 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,366 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:50 PM

Of course, I'm spoiled because I have an SVGA to HDMI on my TI and forget it's not HDMI native, so the same question but SVGA, I guess the answer is yes, it would work?

In theory it could work.  I hesitate over the draw on the 12V supply of the console.

#1946 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,295 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 7:17 PM

Ciro would probably be your best bet on having that one, Rasmus, as he has one of the more extensive collections of British Cassette tapes out there.

#1947 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,001 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 8:10 PM

Here you drive äh go :)

Attached File  Lantern-Daddies-HotRod.dsk   90KB   5 downloads

Attached File  Lantern-Daddies-HotRod.JPG   89.66KB   1 downloads

#1948 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,533 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:52 AM

Here you drive äh go :)

Thanks. It's actually quite good for a TI BASIC game.

#1949 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,923 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:18 AM

It actually is. Very nice twist on the classic vertical scroller racer, and a tough one to boot! Anyone knows who the author is? I can't find it in the Gamebase...

#1950 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,001 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 1:36 PM

I just have a note "Tenterden", maybe this is the programmer ?

-> ah no, this seems to belong to Lantern´s name (?)

Edited by Schmitzi, Sat Jan 6, 2018 1:36 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OFF-TOPIC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users