IGNORED

Good joystick for my old TI99/4a

Vladio

Hello all,

I'm new here so hello.

That said, I did a search and didn't come up with anything so I guess I'll ask.

I'm older (45) so I grew up in what, in my opinion, was the most dynamic period of computing. I started out programming in '80, '81 writing code for my TI99 at the age of 13. I kept all my old stuff and recently decided to make a Nerd Cave with tons of vintage tech that will be usable. I'd like to find a good joystick for the TI. I see a bunch online but would rather get some feedback from ppl that have experience. I really like game pads similar to newer xbox/PS controllers but will use whatever works.

Any suggestions for a couple controller that me and the kids can play some games? I figured I'd have to use some type of adapter so if you have some experience with those feel free to throw in your opinion on those as well.

This room will be really cool and I'm looking forward to getting it done. I have a full C64 system too. I'm going to have it setup also. Will the controllers work on both? I haven't looked at the C64 port yet.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and thanks in advance for your help

Joe

• Like 1

Welcome to the site! As you may know the TI-99 joystick port is nonstandard, and to use 9-pin joysticks from any other system you'll need an adapter.

I recently acquired an Atari 2600 to TI-99/4A joystick adapter from another forum member, and it works brilliantly. It's unbranded so I can't tell you which one it is, but I get the impression that while there are quite a few different models out there, it's a relatively simple item that shouldn't vary too much from maker to maker. My TAC-2 stick feels perfect on games like Alpiner and Parsec.

If you'd like to play with a gamepad, I've read that these adapters will also work with Sega Genesis gamepads. I haven't tried one yet on the TI, though I do know that Genesis pads work perfectly with my Atari 2600. A Sega Master System gamepad would be another option, but most folks prefer the Genesis controller. Personally speaking, the six-button Genesis controller (not the one with built-in turbo) has the best gamepad I've ever used.

As for the Commodore 64, its joystick port is Atari-compatible. However, don't ever use Genesis gamepads with a Commodore, as there's a known problem that can damage one of the chips in the C64. I don't remember if the Master System pads cause the same issue, or if either one can be modded to avoid the problem.

Welcome to AtariAge! There is a great 99/4A community here in the "99/4A Programming" subforum (don't be intimidated by the title if you're not a programmer; there's lots of talk about the 99/4A in general). The 99/4A was my first computer, so it has a special place in my heart, too.

As for joysticks, I would second thegoldenband's recommendation to look for an Atari joystick adapter. If you look around online, you'll find schematic diagrams for building your own if you wish, and if you can't find any on eBay, I'm sure one of the members here can supply you with one. This gives you many more options than TI's own joysticks, which were unfortunately rather poor. I've never tried a Genesis gamepad with mine, either, but unless the Genesis controller requires power from the joystick interface (which the 99/4A doesn't provide), I don't see why it shouldn't work.

• Like 1

Sorry if I didn't word that right. The golden band figured it out... Two joystick into one port. I really have to take the TI out and look at it. I thought there was only one port for joysticks and the TI controllers split into two joysticks from the one port on the side.

It's not really a male female issue. Its just that the TI uses 1 rs232 port for 2 joysticks. This was fairly uncommon and it forces you to use TI's crappy joysticks. Check out this image its what I used to make my splitter and it should give you a good idea of how the stock TI joysticks work.

joy1.jpg

Here is another image. It is the same as the other one but it also tells you the function of each connection.

136-2.jpg

Edited by Dripfree

Please note that on the C64, pins 5, 7 and 9 really are connected:

Pin 5: C64 Pot AY (paddle) - Genesis +5V

Pin 7: C64 +5V - Genesis Select

Pin 9: C64 Pot AX - Genesis Start/Button C

While it might not matter with a 2600 or the Atari - TI adapter, I'd recommend not using an unmodified Genesis, or for that matter SMS and I also believe MSX branded joystick with a C64, might apply to more systems based on the Atari 2600 joystick port but with own additions. Perhaps it doesn't matter feeding 5V directly to GND for a short while of playing, but I don't think the SID chip (isn't it?) will be all that happy to get 5V into its paddle inputs every now and then you push buttons "B" or "C" on the joypad. Then again, I might be wrong.

While it might not matter with a 2600 or the Atari - TI adapter, I'd recommend not using an unmodified Genesis, or for that matter SMS and I also believe MSX branded joystick with a C64, might apply to more systems based on the Atari 2600 joystick port but with own additions. Perhaps it doesn't matter feeding 5V directly to GND for a short while of playing, but I don't think the SID chip (isn't it?) will be all that happy to get 5V into its paddle inputs every now and then you push buttons "B" or "C" on the joypad. Then again, I might be wrong.

I think the consensus is that a Genesis controller really can damage the C64. We talked about it a couple years ago here, and this link says it's the CIA chip that's at risk.

I've never found any diodes in the TI joysticks and the 2 adapters I made worked fine without them even in 2 player games.

The individual game would have to have key controls.

Do make sure that your alpha lock is not on when you get some sticks working.

Well I never tried it without diodes but mine does have them. I can assure you the ti sticks do in fact have diodes. I would put them in there if I were you they are cheap and they really don't make the project that much harder.

Does anyone have a similar wiring diagram for the Odyssey 2 that has detachable joysticks?

If you want to use a standard atari joystick on a odyssey2, you need to rewire a few leads:

Pinouts for the Odyssey2 joystick port:

( 1 2 3 4 5 )

\ 6 7 8 9 /

\_______/

1 - Ground

2 - Fire

3 - Left

4 - Down

5 - Right

6 - Up

7,8,9 - not connected

Pinouts for the Atari 2600 (etc) port, just for reference:

( 1 2 3 4 5 )

\ 6 7 8 9 /

\_______/

1 - Up

2 - Down

3 - Left

4 - Right

6 - Fire8 - Ground

5,7,9 - not connected

Picked up these modules today, can't test them since i don't own a ti99, but if one is intrested let me know.

1 ti99 mini memory

1 ti99 mechatronic extended basic II plus

post-5654-0-67127600-1380968586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seob
  • Like 1

My 99/4a sticks have the diodes as well, as does the third-party 99/4a joystick adapter that I use, so I'd recommend putting them in. They're fairly cheap and easy to find (a few bucks at Radio Shack and even cheaper online), and as others have said, they don't make the adapter much more difficult to build.

If you want to use a standard atari joystick on a odyssey2, you need to rewire a few leads:

Pinouts for the Odyssey2 joystick port:

( 1 2 3 4 5 )

\ 6 7 8 9 /

\_______/

1 - Ground

2 - Fire

3 - Left

4 - Down

5 - Right

6 - Up

7,8,9 - not connected

Pinouts for the Atari 2600 (etc) port, just for reference: