IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

Based on this news story, AtGames is bringing some sort of Intellivision product to retail, and also digital and consoles.

AtGames makes the plug n play style games including Atari Flashback. Is it safe to assume an Intellivision version is coming?

Check out the news story here: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/intellivision-productions-and-atgames-digital-media-partner-to-bring-new-products-to-market-225956221.html

The partnership was also alluded to during the recent L33T Lounge session with the Blue Sky Rangers.

Retro Rogue,

I loved the flashback 2... It would have been great if you and Curt could have done the Intellivision and Colecovision consoles.

I am hoping now for some new controllers... If they do another hand held crap unit, I'll be bumbed, but not surprised at all.

Any chance Curts firm would make good quality replacement controllers for the Intellivision? I like the 2600 compatible controllers.

Even USB for emulation would be cool like the 2600 release. The 9 pin is hackable correct? or was it a replacement pcb?

I'll have to look up the site again.

Can you provide a link to the replacement controller site you're referencing? I'm looking to get some new paddles for my Flashback 2/System Changer and because I don't want a repeat of the 'works perfectly' ones I bought off of eBay.

Thanks!

Hi bikeguychicago,

Here are 2 links. The first is Curt/Flashback 2.0 USB version, but I think 2600 as well.

The second is amazon... They sell more stuff, but seem to be out of paddles right now.

http://www.syzygycompany.com/store/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&product_id=55

http://www.amazon.com/Paddle-Controllers-Flashback-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0094H8H6Y

You can get a delux flashback 4 from atgames, but I don't know if the paddles are wired or not. The Joysticks are not wired out of the box. But you can buy the wired version.

Hope this helps... Wouldn't it be nice to buy high quality intellivision controllers on Amazon!

• Like 1

Hope this helps... Wouldn't it be nice to buy high quality intellivision controllers on Amazon!

That helps alot. Thanks! It seems the paddles work better on real hardware than on the Flashback, which is exactly where I intend to use them most. I'm assuming they'd also work better on the Flashback 2 than on the 4 as well.

I can tell you that this will be a TV games console like the Flashback (meaning built-in games) and it will have removable controllers modeled after the originals. Once I get a test unit, I'll let you guys know if it works on Intellivision consoles with removable controllers. For me, that feature alone will be huge considering the poor quality of the Intellivision II controllers and how the original controllers tend to wear out (especially the bubble keypads). The goal for this is going to be authenticity. Hopefully this is a success, because it will mean more products like it in the future with even more features.

• Like 10

Color me intrigued. Wonder what the game count will be like. If it's anything close to Intellivision Lives! ...well, it'd be awesome to have a whole half of the game library on the unit.

More or less every possible title that can be licensed should make it on there.

• Like 3

Well, obviously the actual D&D stuff is a no-go, but there's certainly a chance for those same games with different names like we've seen over the years. There's still some risk there, however, with approvals. It boggles my mind that many games on classic systems that only bare a passing resemblance to their inspirations (be it a license or arcade machine) and had zero dev involvement from the original IP holders would still represent a potential issue even if the names were changed and copyrights revised. We'll see.

More or less every possible title that can be licensed should make it on there.

So they're going outside of their own library and licensing things like Activision titles? Or do you mean that they're going to pursue things like their Data East arcade ports from back in the day that they own their own ports of but can't freely rerelease today without the appropriate licenses that long ago expired?

There's always been conspicuous absences in their past collections from their own lineup of software that they own (The original Mattel/INTV libraries). And when one collection includes one, it always seemed like 1 that they had previously included would then not be available. I hope this really does finally include all of their lineup in the clear including prototypes and ECS & voice module games in one place and as many of their licensed games as possible that can be renamed or the necessary license reacquired.

Any chance that their 2600 lineup would be included as bonus? If this happens to utilize similar hardware to their 2600 Flashbacks, it would be neat to see them borrow their 2600 emulator and include the M Network titles that are free and clear or happen to utilize any licenses they reacquire permission to utilize (Like their Bump 'n' Jump, Lock 'N' Chase, and Burgertime ports based on Data East arcade games that G-Mode owns today and is in the business of licensing those and other former Data East properties out to other companies).

Edited by Atariboy

In the past, the Intellivision Lives folks used the fig leaf of "unfinished" versions of some games with pre-release names / working titles for some titles (Minotaur anyone?). But I agree that the lack of the excellent Data East titles in the previous released products was always disappointing. Bump 'n' Jump, Lock 'n' Chase, BurgerTime, even Loco-Motion were all very well done, and IMO all played quite well.

This talk of detachable controllers is really exciting. If they're actually pin-compatible with the originals, or pin-compatibility is easily achievable, many of us here would get a system or two simply for the controllers! Not that even 100 units would be something they care about, but hey, every sale counts.

Edited by intvsteve

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised about what rights have reverted where and who's not willing to let their owned IP be used. It's still a healthy number, though.

I thought the Space Invaders issue with the FB 4 was completely ludicrous, needing to put a non-2600 version of Space Invaders on a 2600 project.

As far as what games will show up, the licensing for Activision and some of the others can get costly and raise the price point out of the desired range. That was the issue we had with the original Flashbacks.

I can tell you that this will be a TV games console like the Flashback (meaning built-in games) and it will have removable controllers modeled after the originals. Once I get a test unit, I'll let you guys know if it works on Intellivision consoles with removable controllers. For me, that feature alone will be huge considering the poor quality of the Intellivision II controllers and how the original controllers tend to wear out (especially the bubble keypads). The goal for this is going to be authenticity. Hopefully this is a success, because it will mean more products like it in the future with even more features.

This is great news. I don't know if you would know, but what is the launch date (round about). I would guess it isn't happening this year. Are they shooting for next x-mas (2014)?

This is great news. I don't know if you would know, but what is the launch date (round about). I would guess it isn't happening this year. Are they shooting for next x-mas (2014)?

It was my understanding it was supposed to be this holiday, but I'm increasingly skeptical of that time period being achievable. I hope I'm wrong, though, and that all the forthcoming products AtGames is working on make it out sooner rather than later. They've got some potentially neat stuff cooking. I'm hoping the community is suitably responsive to these products (assuming they come out as fully baked as I'm expecting) because there are even cooler plans for the future if these releases are a success.

Bill,

Do you know if there's chance of adding additional games through an SD slot on the unit since I doubt it will be hackable (ala Flashback 2)?

AtGames has included this in several of their Genesis products. I don't have inside information like Bill does, but it certainly seems like they're open to this idea unlike some other manufacturers.

So hopefully if they release something worthwhile, that feature will be included. Would be a nice way to solve licensing issues.

They are open to the idea and it should be included in some of their upcoming products, but it will not be in this version of the product. You'll only have the built-in games for this go around. I'm personally OK with that because it's still an important first step to get this out like it's going to be out.

• Like 2