IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

the genesis arcade stick thingy they made had an sd cart slot. Not sure why they didnt put one on the genesisish console. But i dont think any other ones have a cart slot.

It comes down to cost of components most likely. It would add to the cost to add an SD card slot in addition to the cartridge slot. It's an either/or thing most likely to hit the right price point/profit margin needed to make the product viable. With that said, AtGames did release an SD card cartridge that works on both their Sega console systems and original Genesis systems, so they didn't totally ignore the concept.

In regards to the other questions, I've been pushing for SD card slots in all of their products for a number of years now. It's unlikely to happen though for a variety of reasons. It's not so much from the AtGames side - they seem onboard with the idea - but moreso from the willingness of whom they're licensing the products from, i.e., them not being comfortable with the idea. As we know, doing most things in this regard (at least officially) requires many layers of approval. One "no" and it gets scrapped.

Naturally, with the Sega stuff being a Genesis-on-a-chip versus software emulation, compatibility is higher, and the options more flexible, but it comes down to Sega themselves also having the will/giving the authority to allow cartridge ports and SD card slots. Sega truly needs to be commended for having the good sense to get a lot of their classic product on as many platforms as possible and not being overly strict with usage.

The other things we have to consider are the business aspects of all of this. With retailers only allowing limited time shelf space for the Flashback products, and not allocating ANY space for add-ons or accessories, it's not even like AtGames would be able to offer SD cards with games or multi-cart releases/game packs outside of their modest online store as a way to further justify including the option with their other products. While offering such options on the Atari, Intellivision, and ColecoVision products would be great for the fans, it would also create additional support issues for arguably little additional gain in terms of sales (they'll likely sell roughly the same amount with or without cartridge or SD card support).

In any case, we've discussed this many times before, so no need to retread that old ground. Bottom line is, it's not likely to happen, but certainly from my end I'll continue to offer advice for making their products "better" and relate whatever concerns I can. It doesn't mean it's going to happen, but at least we can keep the dialog going.

• Like 2

In regards to the other questions, I've been pushing for SD card slots in all of their products for a number of years now. It's unlikely to happen though for a variety of reasons. It's not so much from the AtGames side - they seem onboard with the idea - but moreso from the willingness of whom they're licensing the products from, i.e., them not being comfortable with the idea. As we know, doing most things in this regard (at least officially) requires many layers of approval. One "no" and it gets scrapped.

Naturally, with the Sega stuff being a Genesis-on-a-chip versus software emulation, compatibility is higher, and the options more flexible, but it comes down to Sega themselves also having the will/giving the authority to allow cartridge ports and SD card slots. Sega truly needs to be commended for having the good sense to get a lot of their classic product on as many platforms as possible and not being overly strict with usage.

That's because Sega knows they aren't going to lose any money from someone running games of theirs that are over 20 years old and long out of production. However, lots of other intellectual property owners aren't as enlightened. They freak out at the possibility of a user doing what they want for themselves without requesting a "content owner's" explicit permission. It's never about the money with IP folks... They aren't losing a dime off of the ability of a user installing and running a 20 year old game. It's about power, control and exerting authority. It's really a shame. The Colecovision flashback is most hurt by this closed-minded philosophy since so many of its games were licensed. Having a cartridge port or SD card would remedy that situation greatly by allowing users to run whatever game they want, which is exactly why some of these game companies object.

Thanks for all your work! Maybe AtGames could be persuaded to do a Commodore 64 or Vic-20 flashback. That would sell very well, but licensing issues would probably be tricky to navigate as well.

On a different subject, after reading posts here stating that Walgreens still had some Flashback models in stock at a discount, I went around hunting today and found nothing anywhere nearby. :( The only place that had anything was Dollar Tree, but that was at full price, unfortunately. Oh well... it was worth a try!! :)

Edited by lord_mike

Maybe AtGames could be persuaded to do a Commodore 64 or Vic-20 flashback. That would sell very well, but licensing issues would probably be tricky to navigate as well.

As of right now, it looks like there will be no new additions in the hardware Flashback line (other than new entries of past stuff) for 2015. A Vic-20 Flashback would never happen, but a Commodore 64 or Amiga Flashback are the next most likely candidates (for a variety of reasons, including availability of licensable games) if the line were to expand beyond 2015. AtGames is also working hard on PC- and mobile-based Flashback entries (digital, not physical obviously).

• Like 1

I would've thought that Cloanto had "secured" most of the C64/Amiga market, or is there room for multiple commercial solutions in different segments? Of course the C64DTV strikes me, but I haven't paid attention to its status past the last production run. For what it is worth, I haven't paid attention to whoever still owns rights to either 8-bit or 16-bit Commodore IP, and what those respective owners plan to do with it.

I would've thought that Cloanto had "secured" most of the C64/Amiga market, or is there room for multiple commercial solutions in different segments? Of course the C64DTV strikes me, but I haven't paid attention to its status past the last production run. For what it is worth, I haven't paid attention to whoever still owns rights to either 8-bit or 16-bit Commodore IP, and what those respective owners plan to do with it.

Cloanto doesn't manufacture hardware and the C64DTV was last produced circa 2006. It's probably time for a new run of hardware, though again, it's not going to happen in 2015 from what I can see.

Bill, without breaking an NDA,can you elaborate on if in intellivision flashback 2, Coleco vision flashback 2 and Atari flashback six will be produced? From what you've posted in the past, I would assume that in Atari flashback six would almost be a centainty. I'm just not sure about the others and would really love to see future generations.

• Like 1

I hope we'll see compatible controllers for the intellivision and maybe coleco but that seems to be a bit harder.

Honestly, unless they're able to improve the joystick nub, I wouldn't consider it much of a help if the ColecoVision Flashback were backwards compatible. Of course, if they were, that would also mean we could use other controllers in the Flashback's controller port, so I suppose at least for that, even without physical changes to the included controllers, it would still be an improvement.

• Like 1

Honestly, unless they're able to improve the joystick nub, I wouldn't consider it much of a help if the ColecoVision Flashback were backwards compatible. Of course, if they were, that would also mean we could use other controllers in the Flashback's controller port, so I suppose at least for that, even without physical changes to the included controllers, it would still be an improvement.

Yeah, and Colecovision controllers aren't half as flaky as Intellivision. I just don't have the burning need to replace a dozen Coleco controllers at the moment (true story on the INTV).

You DO have me intrigued on the idea of using *other* controllers, however. It's what any serious gamer does on a CV anyway (even the original controllers are a recipe for carpel tunnel etc). I'd absolutely love it if a FB came out with either a Y-adaptor (so you keep the FB controller for the number pad) or some other way to conveniently plug any old Sega/Atari controller in. Or heck, maybe the INTVFB and CVFB controllers could be made compatible with each other... yeah, I'm off in the deep end now :P

• Like 1

Yeah, and Colecovision controllers aren't half as flaky as Intellivision. I just don't have the burning need to replace a dozen Coleco controllers at the moment (true story on the INTV).

You DO have me intrigued on the idea of using *other* controllers, however. It's what any serious gamer does on a CV anyway (even the original controllers are a recipe for carpel tunnel etc). I'd absolutely love it if a FB came out with either a Y-adaptor (so you keep the FB controller for the number pad) or some other way to conveniently plug any old Sega/Atari controller in. Or heck, maybe the INTVFB and CVFB controllers could be made compatible with each other... yeah, I'm off in the deep end now :P

I've been playing ColecoVision games using the XBOX controllers for awhile now and they work really really well (under emulation on an original XBOX). The only thing I haven't figured out how to get working is some kind of equivalent to the spinner on the Super Action Controller. Sadly, my SA controllers' sticks are not very responsive anymore. I'm considering opening them up and seeing if I can maybe fix them. My Super Action Baseball cartridge has been calling to me....

Anyway, your point about using other controllers is valid IMHO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see an online presence for a flashback at meiers? local or nothing? would be interested in buyin the other for a bargain, but not otherwise:) ....me

It's probably only in stores. There was a huge clearance section at this store by the toys and electronics. Everything was 50% off the lowest price (which was $30 for flashbacks). At the time, they had at least half a dozen of each type available. I guess it all depends on the location. Some of this stuff sells like crazy in certain places... others, not so much.

• Like 1

I had a $30 Amazon gift code from Christmas so I pulled the trigger on an Inty Flashback. I was debating between it and the ColecoVision, but I keep reading bad things about the controllers and game selection in this thread. Besides, I'm pretty happy with emulation for the ColecoVision but I haven't really taken the time to get a good Intellivision setup going or collect ROMs.

• Like 1

I have both the Inty and the Coleco Flashbacks. I honestly think some of the carping over the C/V FB is nitpicking. Of the two systems, although I like both, I'd give the edge to the Intellivision version, simply due to game selection. Almost every Mattel release is included (but not Skiing?) so I think it's more of a complete experience. You are less likely to say "Where is my fave game --------?"

With the Coleco version, although there are about 15 great games, the other 45 leave you scratching your head and asking "Where's Donkey Kong? Where's Mouse Trap, Ladybug, Looping, Time Pilot, Burgertime, etc?" (I know it's because of licensing difficulties, but you get my point.)

Edited by ls650
  • Like 2

I just called my local Sam's Club and to see what the going price was for the Intellivision Flashbacks. To my surprise they are currently asking only $19.81! I already own one but was thinking that there is a possibility another flashback will not be released with more of the licensed games, so maybe it might be smart to buy another one in case my original gets worn out or doesn't hold up long enough. Plus the idea of having a second set of controllers sounds like a good idea. What are your opinions about owning a second flashback?

• Like 1

I just called my local Sam's Club and to see what the going price was for the Intellivision Flashbacks. To my surprise they are currently asking only $19.81! I already own one but was thinking that there is a possibility another flashback will not be released with more of the licensed games, so maybe it might be smart to buy another one in case my original gets worn out or doesn't hold up long enough. Plus the idea of having a second set of controllers sounds like a good idea. What are your opinions about owning a second flashback?

would have been better if an intellivision flashback was $19.80 (the year intv released)
  • Like 1

i own one extra. Best $20x2 i ever spent. (After modding the first one of course)
  • Like 2