IGNORED

Lynx Multicart?

Tempest

Is there a true Lynx Multicart in development? I know there's the one that can hold one game at a time, but I'm talking about one that can hold all the games. Is this even possible on the lynx? It seems that every other system has one, so why not the lynx?

That isnt going to fix In the Lyxn 1.

That's a true statement. But then again, look at it. It seems ancient with the ZIF socket and the weird dial. I think that when lynxman, Karri, candle (?) and other electronics-savvy guys dig into this, they will think of something a lot fancier.

Well, as a gamer I'd be interested in such a cartridge, if only for saving me from having to carry around all loose carts. It doesn't have to be a user-friendly thing, so it will be harder to use as a piracy thing. Also, the price could be high enough to discourage leechers.

Just thinking.

Well, FWIW another reason is that this effort will mean that there is some new technological advancement for the Lynx and that it will be a really cool project to watch progress (and be part of).

In the end, it doesn't have to be a mass-producible thing, but could be a pre-request build like Lynxman's Flashcart. That way the builder can control the usage somewhat. I mean, there are enough well-known AA members that would treat this the way it should be treated.

I'd be happy with a mutlicart so I can sell off my complete Lynx collection and free up some space!

See, that's probably the reason Lynxman did not want his flashcard to hold multiple ROMs in the first place. As old as the Lynx may be, it's still illegal to use ROMs, especially if you don't own the original games. They are not freeware.

Now mind you, I'm no saint and have tried many Lynx-games I don't yet own as ROMs as well (though I aim to grow my collection). But I can understand why Lynxman may not want to be involved in a device basically just used to play games you don't own by many.

See, that's probably the reason Lynxman did not want his flashcard to hold multiple ROMs in the first place. As old as the Lynx may be, it's still illegal to use ROMs, especially if you don't own the original games. They are not freeware.

But I do own the games. I paid for them, and Atari (or whatever company) got their money. I don't see the problem with selling them off and using a multicart after that.

Someone will make one eventually. If Lynxman doesn't want to make one because it goes against his moral code or whatnot then that's understandable. It's not like anyone is forcing someone to make a multicart.

Exactly the point. It's up to the individual developer to decide whether or not to make such a device, but considering nearly every legacy platform ever has a flash and/or multi-cart of some type, there's certainly nothing special about the Lynx and its market precluding the creation of the same. In a world where every ROM is available on the Web anyway and playing it is either a browser-based or software-based emulator away, there's nothing to curtail what's supposedly being curtailed anyway.

• Like 2

it's still illegal to use ROMs, especially if you don't own the original games.

No, it's illegal to copy ROMs. Using them is perfectly legal. I know many of us have pirate NES or GBA games. The creation of those carts is illegal, but it's not illegal to own them or use them. There's nothing in the copyright code that prohibits ownership of a pirate good.

And by illegal, let's be clear, it's a tort. It's not a crime unless you're infringing copyright on a commercial scale. If no one cares enough to sue you, you haven't done anything wrong. I parked in an empty private parking lot yesterday for long enough to eat a pulled pork sandwich from a stand next door. Copying ROMs is about the same level of "illegal".

There is no policeman who is going to get a warrant to search your house for illegal ROMs.

I really did not want to get into a discussion about that, but only explain why someone who is well known for his skills in designing stuff like that might not want to do a flashcard like that.

As I said, I USE ROMS MYSELF OCCASIONALLY, I AM NO SAINT.

However, I won't try make excuses for it.

The issue of the ownership of ROMs is not so clear. You'd have to try it in court. It is possession of illegal goods. Downloading ROMs is illegal though. What you are allowed to do is make a copy of a game for your private use, unless you had to bypass a copy protection; so if you dumped your Lynx collection to create the ROMs yourself it's fine. But even if you own a game, downloading the ROM instead of dumping it yourself is theoretically not allowed. That's really a thing that nobody would ever notice or care though.

When you own the games, make ROMs of then and then sell the games off, you also are no longer entitled to the ROMs. You sold the license to play the games with your cartridges.

And saying "nobody will sue you for it, so it's fine" does not make it any more legal.

I agree with you that probably nobody would care anyway, and that no money is lost to the original makers. So I don't have moral objections to using ROMs myself (and moral standards are a thing everyone must define for themselves) if the games are old and long out of sale. But playing ROMs I know full well that I am basically using illegal bootlegs and that from a legal standpoint I should not to that.

Edited by 108 Stars

It's the age old argument about what's fair use and what isn't. I would say that there's absolutely nothing wrong creating a new SD based card in this day and age, it's not currently a commercial system and for convenience I would love one of these. I've got a video almost uploaded on youtube and i've actually talked about an idea for an SD based card.

I was looking at some of the PIC chips and I am sure I found one that supported SD (I could be wrong, it might have been that SD code is available for it rather than built in hardware support). Anyway, if you stick one of those on a new PCB, then embed a boot ROM which contains the code to allow the Lynx to navigate the file system via use of the PIC - assuming its memory mapped on a couple of address lines to allow the Lynx to send control codes via those address lines, then you can get the PIC to 'populate' an SRAM or EEPROM / flash with the game image. The tricky bit is to then have the PIC re-route the address lines until next power off, and somehow invoke a reboot without loss of power. If you can do that you've got an SD based card.

I seriously doubt Lynxman took the illegality of roms into the equation. The ability to hold more games requires more effort and money to design into hardware, not to mention time. That said, I don't have any Lynx flash cart entirely because they don't hold multiple games. In this day and age, it's really almost a requirement.

Edited by Greg2600

I'd be happy with a mutlicart so I can sell off my complete Lynx collection and free up some space!

As Developer i must say - horrible!

If Games are still in production - especial homebrews- a binary without own a original Cartridge is a nogo and damages the scene. It makes no difference if you use the illegal copy in an emulator or on a multicart.

Lynxmans device is designed for development not for piracy. If it is used in development there is no reason to hold more than one game.

Edited by matashen

As Developer i must say - horrible!

If Games are still in production - especial homebrews- a binary without own a original Cartridge is a nogo and damages the scene. It makes no difference if you use the illegal copy in an emulator or on a multicart.

Lynxmans device is designed for development not for piracy. If it is used in development there is no reason to hold more than one game.

I'm actually not interested in homebrews for the Lynx, nor do I believe in piracy of homebrews. I just want a multicart with all the originally released games, like every other classic system has.

I really don't care about Lynxmans development cart or his reasons for making it. That isn't what this topic is about.

I'm actually not interested in homebrews for the Lynx, nor do I believe in piracy of homebrews. I just want a multicart with all the originally released games, like every other classic system has.

But you should give homebrews a try. Alpine Games and Zaku are the best exclusiv Titels the Lynx have.

I really don't care about Lynxmans development cart or his reasons for making it. That isn't what this topic is about.

Yes your are right, that is not the topic. Back to topic: I think the community is to small for the effort you need to build it. And the cracks in hard and software from this scene are not interested in doing such a project.
  • Like 1