IGNORED

Flashback 2 composite video to VGA = "Interlaced" display?

Hi guys, I recently bought an inexpensive S-Video/Composite to VGA converter box, and the FB 2's output is "interlaced".. sorta. Interlaced vertically... Or, that's the best way I know to describe it. I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be, get a different converter, but out of curiosity, does anyone know why this is, and can anyone recommend a different converter that works? The display is fine/solid in composite mode.

Thanks!

I've attached an example image.

post-4246-0-46590600-1381523665_thumb.jpg

Is it supposed to be solid blue?

Yes, it is. it is in composite. It's down to either the way teh flashback sends the signal or the way the converter processes it. I should mention, that screenshot is from an LCD monitor, and I get the same result from an HD TV using its VGA input. Composite is completely normal.

I'm not sure if this is what you're really asking, but 'why' it happens is due to the nature of composite video.

Composite video mixes the blue color signal (chroma) right on top of the pixel on/off information (luma) that defines the Fuji graphic.

Once they are mixed, separating chroma and luma is a difficult task. Your converter is not doing a good job - it's mistaking the blue signal for on/off information. Those vertical bands of alternating on/off dots are the blue color signal's alternating cycles.

That's why S-Video exists - to prevent chroma and luma from being mixed in the first place, so that a converter does not have to be good at separating them. A number of Atari mods add S-Video support to avoid these problems.

Better converters handle chroma/luma separation properly. A good TV will not allow any of the alternating color cycles to cause pixels to switch on and off.

- KS

• 2 months later...