Action! Source Code

Action! Source Code

281 replies to this topic

#276 JohnPolka OFFLINE  

JohnPolka

Chopper Commander

• 131 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 9:18 AM

Symbol table is annoying. Nothing like having the program working right with the cartridge but then running out of symbol table space when you add the runtime. There are work arounds of course you are really talking a large program with a lot of variables before you even hit the wall. If you know in advance you are going to have a problem it isn't that tough to reuse your variables and edit your RT to only routines you use. IMO this is pretty much standard programming practice too. Just declare your loop counters as global variables and treat them accordingly. You seldom have need for more then a couple of 8 bit and 16 bit volatile values anyway.

I work with a lot of 3rd party global symbols in Action! when I am creating applications that run in the BBS Express Pro! environment.  Therefore, it's not uncommon to run out of global symbol table space. Yes, it's possible to further split up programs and cull runtime symbols, but as you say, it's annoying (because it slows down the software development process).  I'd love to see an Action! upgrade that includes larger symbol tables by default.

-JP

#277 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,789 posts

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:52 PM

A feature to allow compiling large programs with automatic bank-switching functions would be great. On the easier side a dedicated print command and/or a bash like memory for recently used filenames for the write editor command would be handy, as would be a compile command accessible from the editor.

A modern style copy/paste function (maybe using shift and cursor keys and inverting the selection) allowing to copy/paste of parts of a line only would be handy as well.

Inline assembly?

#278 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,831 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 AM

I work with a lot of 3rd party global symbols in Action! when I am creating applications that run in the BBS Express Pro! environment.  Therefore, it's not uncommon to run out of global symbol table space. Yes, it's possible to further split up programs and cull runtime symbols, but as you say, it's annoying (because it slows down the software development process).  I'd love to see an Action! upgrade that includes larger symbol tables by default.

-JP

The V3.6 16K ROM build and the XEX build already use twice the size for the symbol table. The OSS build intentionally remains the genuine original, but you can patch one byte to adapt it.

.if fix_stsp_pages = 0
stsp_pages = $08  ; 2K id space
.else
stsp_pages = $10  ; 4K id space
.endif

#279 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,498 posts

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:31 AM

Anyone fancy making a build of Action! which runs off the SIDE2's external cart? I realise it will require a little ingenuity since SIDE uses the data bus for banking, but since it will shortly be possible to use the SIDE's external cartridge space alongside the U1MB PBI hard disk, it would be nice to have something useful to put there when the user does not require the external loader. Bank register is at $D5E4 (write $00-$1F).

I am simply attempting to avoid investing the time in doing this myself. :)

#280 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,831 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 AM

Anyone fancy making a build of Action! which runs off the SIDE2's external cart? I realise it will require a little ingenuity since SIDE uses the data bus for banking, but since it will shortly be possible to use the SIDE's external cartridge space alongside the U1MB PBI hard disk, it would be nice to have something useful to put there when the user does not require the external loader. Bank register is at $D5E4 (write $00-$1F).

I am simply attempting to avoid investing the time in doing this myself. :)

Hi Jon,

I don't plan any banked versions other than the original OSS version. There are regular XEX version for everything else. ACTION! anyways requires a DOS to be present. Or is there a reason why they would not work?

#281 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,498 posts

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 AM

I don't plan any banked versions other than the original OSS version. There are regular XEX version for everything else. ACTION! anyways requires a DOS to be present. Or is there a reason why they would not work?

I'm aware that Action! requires DOS (why would it not?), but I assume the fact people run CAR images of Action! from multicarts means there's a demand to run the application in ROM, regardless of the fact XEX versions exist. The other reason is that if it is possible, why not?

Perhaps you misunderstand what I'm attempting to do (assume that's the reason you mention DOS). The upper half of the SIDE cart is simply a 256K banked cartridge. If something other than the loader (such as Action!) is put there, the cartridge can be run from SDX (via the CAR command) or used with any other DOS booted from disk. The default content of the same ROM space (the loader) does not allow a disk boot simply because it doesn't need to. :)

#282 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,498 posts

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2019 5:54 PM

Further to my prior request for patched ROMs: a kind and talented soul has taken care of the matter. BASIC XL, MAC/65, and Action! ROMs for SIDE will be released with the forthcoming firmware update. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat, Sun Mar 3, 2019 5:54 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users