IGNORED

Action! Source Code

I have the source to both SDX (4.22) and MAC/65. I thought though that I had read on these forums that Lawrow didn't want MAC/65 released.

Don't know about here, but Lawrow speaks in these threads:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.atari.8bit/TVwmswjj2zI/Z_8TwOXPIMsJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.atari.8bit/wWxsqsmVcVI/z6W0y0U8eHEJ

As I recall it was long before 2005 though, is that the right date for these? Back then we could click on the author and find other threads written by him and his activity level and even email info but such days are long past or I just don't know how to do that anymore. At any rate I tried to look him up then and he was no longer an active poster already. My take on it is he sure don't want it to die on a hard drive somewhere. shameless pleading/off

• Like 1

I'd seen that second post by SL previously. I would infer from that that it wouldn't bother him to see Mac/65 released. Since my copy is for the cart, it has DDT bundled with it. All of the source files are marked "© 1988 ICD Inc" with neither Lawrow's nor Dunion's name mentioned anywhere. It's too bad he never released Basic XL or Basic XE as I suspect he is the only person left with copies of the original source.

I talked to Harker a couple of months ago and his only advice with regard to anything to do with the OSS stuff was "do what you like".

In talking to Clinton, he mentioned that Electronic Arts marketed Action!. Does anyone remember that, because I sure don't.

Electronic Arts sold Action!? ??? I really don't recall that at all.

Electronic Arts did sometimes handle distribution (not publishing, mind you) for other labels, but I can't imagine them having interest in hardcore/niche products like this, no matter how excellent. I think the expected sales volume would likely be far too low and the price point too high for them to have bothered helping them get into more mass market stores.

These should be source for BasicXL 1.02 in Mac65 format. No DOS on the disk and I can't quite figure out how to get this loaded or compiled. (M)aster and (S)lave disks - maybe one of you guys could make this useful. Be nice to have a listing.

Bob

Well it seems to generally assemble; however the macro that seems to check if the cart bank has been overrun triggers all over the place. There are two MASTER files for assembling, not sure what the difference is between them yet. Nice find though.

Edit: The errors are a false alarm. They've used the .ERROR statement as a way to document things. The listing is 15,481 lines long, approximately 630K.

Edited by Alfred

With this post, I suggest that Alfred is Atari user of the year!

Alfred, you will be in our hearts forever! We will never forget, what you have done to the Atari community.

Therefore, I only can give you the highest reputation possible:

post-32599-0-24869200-1422919275_thumb.jpg

Only a few people on earth got that.

Thank you so much, now a new Atari age begins.

Thank you, we will be in your debt forever!

If there is an Atari walk of fame, Alfred, you deserve a star on it! At the very front!

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1

Awesome success Albert! Since this is now released under GPL, I've created a project and sourceforge to host the original files and updates in central public place.
With this I hope to keep track and not have even more version confusion than we've had in the past.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/atari-action

I plan to translate the syntax to MADS over time and host the fixes and updates there.

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 4

First goal would to make tune the source code, so we get an exact 1:1 output of the original to make sure it's OK.
Second goal would be to understand the source code.
Third goal is then to try and implement fixes for the known bugs.

And then actually somebody to try and change more fundamental things like what you mentioned.

Good luck with that.

I've looked over that code a lot, and it's a good puzzle. It's very interlinked and some of the "bits" for types are maxed. Clinton did an amazing job packing it all in there, but it'll be a major effort to understand it all.

For us barely programmers, does this mean it can be modified to use extended memory so that we can use Action! (editor and compiler) loaded from disk?

I have a version of the editor that uses XE banks, but enabling that for the compiler will be a huge effort.

:-)

Already done...

All members of the Atari Seal Team Six (Jedi) do already have the code.

JAC! already said it in post #37, further we will bring bugsheet #3 to end. This will be the last bug sheet! Further, there are those who have 1 MB RAM in their Atari...

Let the good times roll! :-)

Will return here and here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ACTION

Here's an interesting thought ...

Now that the source has been released, how difficult do you think it would be to compile this to run on other 6502 platforms, like Apple II or C=64, for example?

That should be fairly trivial. Just a matter of providing the runtime routines for the platform.

Alfted, JAC!, kudos guys!

First goal would to make tune the source code, so we get an exact 1:1 output of the original to make sure it's OK.
Third goal is then to try and implement fixes for the known bugs.

And then actually somebody to try and change more fundamental things like what you mentioned.

Even more interesting would be to extract compiler, merge it with 6502 simulator and create stand alone Action! cross-compiler. Maybe it would be possible to do it within one project, so bugfixes would go to the new cart and the cross-compiler.

And then, blam!, include to WUDSN.

Awesome success Albert! Since this is now released under GPL, I've created a project and sourceforge to host the original files and updates in central public place.

With this I hope to keep track and not have even more version confusion than we've had in the past.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/atari-action

I plan to translate the syntax to MADS over time and host the fixes and updates there.

Hi JAC,

I would have preferred github over sourceforge, the quality of sf is poor these days, it is a faint copy of its better days, it has so many advertising, tracking and even add-on-downloads. Too commercial for my taste.

For collaborating, github is so much nicer.

• Like 1