IGNORED

The NEW High Score Club S2 ~ Week 24 ~ Paddle Week 1 ~ GI Joe: Cobra Strike

Vocelli

Important tip (I think): When the cobra's death ray is about to shoot down, remember to position yourself by placing your paddle under the cobra and pressing the fire button so that your paddle remains stationary while the ray zings down.

New Score: 27,520

post-27900-0-77277600-1382484278_thumb.png

• Like 1

How do you change the sensitivity?

Options - Input Settings - Devices and Ports - Mouse Paddle Sensitivity.

For me, a sensitivity between 3 and 4 works best. 3 is rather forgiving, which is great in the beginning, while 4 gives you more speed for quick moves against faster cobras.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 1

G.I. Joe Cobra Strike - 38,380. Bonus - Miner 2049er vs Quest for Quintana Roo. After finishing level 9, Bounty Bob notices a snake. Bob has a pick, the snake only has fangs. Bob kills the snake, and realizes it isn't radioactive. So he makes a fire, then cooks and eats the snake. He evened saved a piece for his donkey. Bob wins.

post-34612-0-39143900-1382549510_thumb.jpg

post-34612-0-60850000-1382549722_thumb.jpg

post-34612-0-33136900-1382549733_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

post-10357-0-43475300-1382570175_thumb.jpg

Bonus: First off we have poor ole' Potsy, whose place of residence we all know is riddled by vermin. What Potsy didn't know is that brick sided buildings are quite easy for snakes to climb up as well as all of the bugs that has been driving him mad as of late. The elusive snake from Crossbow has finally decided to move out of the desert and see new places. To Potsy's utter dismay and horror that new place first on the snakes agenda was to be his personal domicile. All out of flower pots at that moment he couldn't get the snake off the wall. While he frantically looked for something else the serpent made it's way into Potsy's apartment. The gardener was beside himself with fear and anxiety, believing like so many that snakes are horribly viscous creatures and it will be certain to bite him at it's soonest convenience. The snake was clever though and found a nice place to hide and avoid Potsy's frantic search and destroy mission. After a while the curmudgeonly gardener noticed that there were far fewer pests in his living space. The mice that kept scratching in the walls were nowhere to be heard as were also the big nasty tarantula's among the missing.

In the end Potsy and the crafty but friendly snake became fast friends so in this scenario they both end up winning.

post-10357-0-93460500-1382570193_thumb.jpg

post-10357-0-41083900-1382570224_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I wish my USB joystick adapter would support Paddle controls...

Still, I'm having enormous fun playing this - so to hell with a high score. Also, and that's much more important, I love to see that the general opinion here leans towards "this game is better than its reputation".

I didn't realize big Joe had that kind of reputation. Seems like a very respectable game to me

It does get rather mixed reviews on the interwebs. Most reviews find it merely mediocre, many find it actually bad. The initial reactions of some people here in this thread were similar. I think it's the very unusual control scheme - and the fact that hardly anyone ever tried to play this game in two-player co-op mode, which is a blast.

(edit): Maybe there's another aspect to this. A lot of Americans were/are perhaps disappointed that the game didn't have much to do with G.I. Joe storylines, heroes, villains, comics, whatever. In Europe, the game came out as "Action Force", and no one here gives a f*** about G.I. Joe. Maybe that's why my buddy and I were less biased and enjoyed the game for what it was.

Edited by karokoenig

The Snake from Crypts of Chaos vs The Elf from Toyshop Trouble.

Who will win?

In a effort to keep up the ever changing likes and needs of children, the Elf journeys into the depths of the crypts. Knowing that children are fickle, he searches endlessly for something he can bring back the toyshop that is different and unique. He finally comes across (in a dead end passage I think, hard to tell) a massive Snake. Being a friendly Elf, he greats the snake by saying 'Be my Friend'. Well, the Snake doesn't care and can't understand him so the Snake, in two gulps, eats the Elf.

Snake wins without a doubt. No contest.

The crowd boos and demands their money back on this lame 'Pay per view' TV event.

Thanks for coming. Bye.

post-28484-0-51697100-1382614993_thumb.jpg

post-28484-0-33159900-1382615010_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 2

........Also, and that's much more important, I love to see that the general opinion here leans towards "this game is better than its reputation".

As the first time playing this one, didn't even remember I actually had the cart, I'd have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised and am rather enjoying this game.

I found a little more time to play before weekend. :)

About this game: I thought it was a broken game for years!
That's because I didn't know about paddles before joining AtariAge. :-o
Every time I tried the promissing G.I. Joe in stella, I couldn't control it properly and remembered that was the broken one...
I don't know how neither I or my friends never had heard about Atari paddles. :?
  • Like 1

post-34560-0-50153100-1382671535_thumb.jpg

Important tip (I think): When the cobra's death ray is about to shoot down, remember to position yourself by placing your paddle under the cobra and pressing the fire button so that your paddle remains stationary while the ray zings down.

thanks, that was a really good tip! I found out that even when just lining up to catch a drip of venom, it is very helpful to keep the button held down, it allows you to control your shots & get hits in while waiting to catch the drip.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 1

I'm getting a little better control of the paddles, but the shield can still easily get away from me.

post-2105-0-73204100-1382677641_thumb.jpg

Bonus:

The horny hero or fireman in Burning Desire vs. the snake in Red Sea Crossing.

post-2105-0-27097400-1382677719_thumb.jpg vs. post-2105-0-61575800-1382677738_thumb.jpg

The snake travels to a human sacrifice to strike, not the perpetrators burning the woman alive, but the would-be hero for his ungodly act of indecent exposure (yeah, I know, biblical stories are funny that way). The snake hides in the helicopter and waits for the bare but brave rescuer to drop down from a cable to offer his branch to the woman. The snake slithers down the cable and wraps himself around the well-endowed daredevil and is about to strike when the woman, mistaking the snake for, um, a lifeline, bites its head off.

• Like 5

I'm getting a little better control of the paddles, but the shield can still easily get away from me.

attachicon.gifSAM_1902.JPG

Bonus:

The horny hero or fireman in Burning Desire vs. the snake in Red Sea Crossing.

attachicon.gifSAM_1904.JPG vs. attachicon.gifSAM_1906.JPG

The snake travels to a human sacrifice to strike, not the perpetrators burning the woman alive, but the would-be hero for his ungodly act of indecent exposure (yeah, I know, biblical stories are funny that way). The snake hides in the helicopter and waits for the bare but brave rescuer to drop down from a cable to offer his branch to the woman. The snake slithers down the cable and wraps himself around the well-endowed daredevil and is about to strike when the woman, mistaking the snake for, um, a lifeline, bites its head off.

I both smiled and cringed.

• Like 2

After lots of G.I. Joe advertisement on my part in this thread, something useful for a change: a new score:

Finally landed a bonus shot. Makes all the difference when the 6th or 7th cobra gets just too nasty to handle (a) with mouse control, and (b) at my age. Damn, my buddy and I used to be so good at this game... In co-op, we could play forever without dying, found the easter egg and everything.

post-34656-0-32256500-1382718767_thumb.png