IGNORED

Hover Bovver being released after all! The 'half cut' edition

Rev

It was with great sadness that Hover Bovver had to be cancelled due to very nasty and public fighting with the developer over terms of the contract, and quality concerns.

That last part wont impress someone who doesn't know what went on - especially if you're trying to get them to purchase the 2 levels already made. I'd leave that out if we want more customers to fund a new full release.

It's not in the spirit of moving on that Elektronite wanted. Hopefully someone involved will contact the editors.

• Like 2

Will the full, finished game eventually be available CIB in the future then? Or do we need to order a box now, order the half cut edition now and then, when the game is done, ship back the half cut edition and receive the full, finished cart just to get a CIB copy?

Does the 'Half Cut' edition come with the box, manual, and overlay? Or just the cart?

What is the 'Half Cut' edition you may ask? ......The Hover Bovver - Half Cut Edition is a cartridge in an LTO shell, with the planned official Hover Bovver Cartridge sticker.

It includes:

• The 'Milestone' '2 working levels' of the original (now cancelled) game

• The LTO/Elektronite Hover Bovver Voice Test rom, that works with an Intellivoice and features a voice actor with a British accent!

(An example of the high quality voices that will be in the re-developed game)

• The Match 5 Demo

Does the 'Half Cut' edition come with the box, manual, and overlay? Or just the cart?

You obviously didn't read what was in the link that Rev provided... for $40, you get half a box, half a manual, half an overlay and half a cartridge. When the final version is released, you send all that crap back and they assemble the missing halves!

• Like 2

You obviously didn't read what was in the link that Rev provided... for $40, you get half a box, half a manual, half an overlay and half a cartridge. When the final version is released, you send all that crap back and they assemble the missing halves!

Lol, OK fine... I guess I asked for that :P

• Like 1

Please be aware

the redevelopment of Hover Bovver depends on support.

If there is no support, CGPI will refund all supporters with a $40 certificate towards the purchase of an Elektronite product, and they can KEEP the 'Half Cut Edition'. If the fans want to see the game produced, buy the Half Cut Edition today!

• Like 1

Please be aware

If there is no support, CGPI will refund all supporters with a $40 certificate towards the purchase of an Elektronite product, and they can KEEP the 'Half Cut Edition'. If the fans want to see the game produced, buy the Half Cut Edition today!

I don't know if you saw my post here.

I'd recommend getting that line about quality issues removed. You know what happened better than anyone but if this 2 level edition is going to take off it doesn't need that kind of press.

UPDATE: Just in case it isn't clear. The declaration that their were quality concerns directly effects how people perceive those 2 levels they are buying - not just the developer of those levels.

• Like 1

I don't know if you saw my post here.

I'd recommend getting that line about quality issues removed. You know what happened better than anyone but if this 2 level edition is going to take off it doesn't need that kind of press.

HB will be rewritten from scratch. quality issue of the existing 2 level version have nothing to do with it

Please be aware

Thanks for the clarification. So buying the $40 Half Cut edition is the means by which we crowd fund this? So not including shipping, if you bought a single pair of box/overlays for $40.... then buy two Half Cut editions and subsequently upgrade (hopefully) for $80, and manuals are eventually thrown in, you're looking at $120 (plus a lot of shipping) for two CIB games.....or $60 each. Assuming CGPI covers the return shipping of the final cart, and figuring the ($15 to orig ship the boxes + ~$10 Half Cut shipping + $10 Half Cut return shipping), or $25 total shipping.....this still leaves the average price of 2 CIB copies at $72.50/ ea, which isn't terrible if the game quality delivers. I'm in, I suppose ;-)

That version of the game is cancelled, and it is time to move on. Despite what the developer of the game may think, Elektronite still has the permission of Llamasoft to write Hover Bovver for the Intellivision. Any distribution by the original developer of the game is infringement of the rights of Classic Game Publishers, Inc. the exclusive manufacturer of Elektronite games.

So how exactly is "any distribution by the original developer of the game" an infringement of the rights of Classic Game Publishers, Inc? If you're going to put that out there, you have to provide the document or source to back it up. I publicly state here that it is my opinion that Elektronite holds no exclusive or formal rights to put out Hover Bovver for Intellivision. Prove me wrong.

Yeah, reading through all that really sounds like "moving on"... actually, it just smells like a cash grab. Reading through the spat PMs it's plain to see that it was a cash flow problem that led to development stalling and the beginnings of the playground antics. If Elektronite were really, honestly and truly upset with what they received they wouldn't shame themselves by putting the game out at all - they'd leave it as the digital download from AA that they uploaded and call it quits. But we all know that was pure bullshit - Jeff Minter himself played the near-final game and only had good things to say (which isn't surprising as the game was play-tested by two absolute HB fanboys towards the end of development, who know the game better than most).
I can't help thinking everything that surrounds Elektronite is in some way half-cut or half-arsed, this is just half a cherry on a half-baked cake, like half their schemes...
  • Like 5

No, I'm pretty certain that the spite was intended. Did you listen to the George Plimpton advertising Hover Bovver link in the upper left?

Uh, yeah. Spite intended.

Yeah. I guess that does sound more like a personal insult. I'm just saying the quality concerns line should be taken out because it does sound like it effects what people are buying. Why would I want to buy a product that has quality concerns? It's just too confusing to add value to the sales pitch.

Yeah. I guess that does sound more like a personal insult. I'm just saying the quality concerns line should be taken out because it does sound like it effects what people are buying. Why would I want to buy a product that has quality concerns? It's just too confusing to add value to the sales pitch.

Your point would be wholly valid if making money were the only intended outcome of this proposition. But as others have made clear, part of what you are being asked to buy is a side in the fight. So, the "quality concerns" part of the copy makes complete sense if part of what you are being asked to consume is an allegiance.

But we all know that was pure bullshit - Jeff Minter himself played the near-final game and only had good things to say (which isn't surprising as the game was play-tested by two absolute HB fanboys towards the end of development, who know the game better than most).
I THOUGHT the game was already completed by then?????

• Like 1